1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Getting ready to tear down my 50. any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:29 PM
SpedKid94
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting ready to tear down my 50. any advice?

Its almost cold weather here so I am about to start tearing apart my 50 model. I am sending the body to my buddies shop to do the paint and body work. I am going to do the frame/mechanical resto myself. Just wanted any do's and don'ts before I start. Plan on blasting the whole frame and painting from there. dropping the engine/driveline and cleaning/paint. Everything is original and I plan on putting it back that way. Everything is in working order.. Thanks

Old 08-24-2015, 03:05 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can never take enough pictures of how things are attached when you are tearing the trucks down: vent window screws, the way body panels fit, dash stuff, steering stuff, grill pieces, lights, vent door screws, etc.

I started out with small boxes for door items etc. but wish it had of used many plastic bags and marked each bag. When I started to go back together some boxes were not marked and some got mixed up.

Good luck.
TractormanBill

Old 08-24-2015, 03:16 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tractormanbill
You can never take enough pictures of how things are attached when you are tearing the trucks down: vent window screws, the way body panels fit, dash stuff, steering stuff, grill pieces, lights, vent door screws, etc.

I started out with small boxes for door items etc. but wish it had of used many plastic bags and marked each bag. When I started to go back together some boxes were not marked and some got mixed up.

Good luck.
TractormanBill
Like he said. Same thing happen to me, but it all got figured out. FTE sure has been a help for those little details you forget until it's time to put them back together. It's exciting at first, but try to go slow and don't throw anything out even if you don't know what it's for. What kind of front suspension are you going to run ? We want pics. Good luck. Always help here.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
I too am getting ready to start on my 1949 f-4 a good fall and winter project,take your time and enjoy it! When you get aggravated walk away for a little,I have done 5 trucks and enjoy it!!! Remember it's a hobbie have fun

Old 08-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Take pictures and more pictures. Then take some more pictures. Tag and bag EVERYTHING. You will forget what it was for. Shoot, tag the steering wheel.

Get this:
1948-56 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog CD - HiPo Parts Garage

It is worth it's weight in gold and they only charge $21.50 for it.

Then take some more pictures.
I even have kept parts I have already replaced for the most part. You just never know. Once everything is back together and running smoothly, put those parts you want to throw away in long term storage because you might need them later.

Start a build thread and ask lots of questions. Better to ask an obvious question than miss something. Also, post a lot of those pictures in your build thread. We like pictures and they sure make your questions more clear. They also help the next guy trying to do what you are doing.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:02 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Did anyone mention taking pictures ?

When it's time to install your wiring harness, spend the big dough for proper lug and pin crimp tools. Be hyper-vigilant to ensure your grounds are 10X better than they need to be......

Old 08-24-2015, 07:56 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Beyond the sage advice about pictures and bag/tag practice, there are a couple of things that helped me:

Make space for the parts storage - separate places for the unworked, complete, and replacements.
Use your favorite parts supply house catalog to identify the parts you need. You'll likely need to use a combination of sources. Planning ahead to consolidate orders will minimize shipping costs.
Keep track of the new parts you need and those you have. This will prevent the double buying syndrome that affects the forgetful.
Since you'll need to do a lot of parts cleaning, figure out a solution. I bought a large plastic container that was able to accommodate the part, cleaning process, and flying crud. It kept everything else cleaner when the dirt didn't get spread around.
Be open to using slow processes, like vinegar, to derust small parts.
Consider fabbing up a small part paint booth. I used plastic drop sheets to keep the spray contained and drying parts unmolested. Don't forget your PPE even if it is 'only a rattle can'.
Making your own wiring is very doable. I kept the wire scheme stock making the replacement and trouble shooting easy from the original wiring diagrams.
Use FTE as a ready reference for technical questions and support.

Enjoy the process and keep us posted.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:57 PM
ryans88gt
Senior User
The front end comes off in practically one piece after removing just a few bolts... radiator support bolts, inner fender to cab bolts, and running board bolts. then every thing is a lot easier to access when you take it off and flip it over.

I took my 51 apart piece by piece and it was a PITA.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:50 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Now that you have a plan, you need some organization. It is going to be key when putting it back together. you don't want to have to dig through the carburetor parts looking for the clip that holds the rear soft brake line to the bracket. And you don't want a cast steel water pump lying on your instrument cluster.

I found some used, collapsible, industrial storage bins at the local hardware store for $3 each. I picked up a bulk of freezer containers at the dollar store (you can write on the tops), and found some little aluminum pans at the yard sale. 20 for $.50. What a deal!

While it was coming apart, I kept entire assemblies together as much as possible until I was ready to clean/paint/assemble and install them. That way I didn't have to keep up with so many little bits and bobs lying around. (There is no point in taking the steering column assembly apart in September if you won't be cleaning and painting it until February)

Let me also say that while I know every inch of my truck, I mean every nut bolt and wire, I still took pictures of some assemblies to be sure I would know how to put them back together months or even years later. As everyone else has pointed out, you can never have too many pictures.

BTW, WE want to see those pictures. We love pictures.

Speaking of pictures:

Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2015, 03:57 PM
SpedKid94
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZOOT
Like he said. Same thing happen to me, but it all got figured out. FTE sure has been a help for those little details you forget until it's time to put them back together. It's exciting at first, but try to go slow and don't throw anything out even if you don't know what it's for. What kind of front suspension are you going to run ? We want pics. Good luck. Always help here.
I am keeping the truck entirely stock. at least thats my plan for now

Old 08-25-2015, 07:58 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Don't forget that 1950 was a change over year, somewhere in the middle of the production run, changes were made. When sourcing parts always state whether it is early or late.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:00 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Skalywag
Don't forget that 1950 was a change over year, somewhere in the middle of the production run, changes were made. When sourcing parts always state whether it is early or late.
So the back window and shift location changed. What else?

Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 AM
Skalywag
Elder User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
So the back window and shift location changed. What else?
Bed sides and rear fenders.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:52 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Skalywag
Bed sides and rear fenders.
Yup. Embossed to straight sided bed walls.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Perhaps you have a better memory than I but it may also be a good idea to keep a list of the small parts you purchase like gaskets, seals, etc. In my build I bought the same parts more than once and ended up with duplicates.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to tear down my 50. any advice?