Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Who runs Stanadyne's Lubricity Formula?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:45 AM
SC_Dave
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Who runs Stanadyne's Lubricity Formula?

I'm trying it out at 4 ounces per tank fill-up (usually 23-25 gallons).

Stanadyne's info on their site is a little confusing. When you read the info on Performance Formula, Injector Cleaner and Lubricity Formula it makes you think you need all three yet all three almost say the same thing! What's a 7.3 owner to do ? 😟
David

Old 08-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SC_Dave
I'm trying it out at 4 ounces per tank fill-up (usually 23-25 gallons).

Stanadyne's info on their site is a little confusing. When you read the info on Performance Formula, Injector Cleaner and Lubricity Formula it makes you think you need all three yet all three almost say the same thing! What's a 7.3 owner to do ? 😟
David
Looks as though it is: 8 oz. Per 30 Gal of Diesel for all three of their Performance Products.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:04 AM
SC_Dave
Tuned
Originally Posted by Thomas White
Looks as though it is: 8 oz. Per 30 Gal of Diesel for all three of their Performance Products.
Depends where you look. Site says one thing, bottle says another???

Old 08-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I use it at 2oz per tank at about 26 gallons.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:31 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I use about 7 ounces per 30 gallons, but I can't remember if that was the instructions for Stanadyne or one of the other additives I've used. The Motorcraft stuff said to use one ounce per 5 gallons - that much I can remember.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:46 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll have to look at the bottle when I get home tommorow, but I believe its 8oz per 60 gallons.

I also mix it with the Power Service (white in winter and silver in summer). I usually run the tank down pretty low, and just add the 4oz to whatever it takes to fill; usually about 27 gallons. Its not rocket science or precision chemistry. Its not gonna hurt if you do a little estimating/rounding off of the math. I do 4oz of stanadyne and 12oz of the PS, which I put in a used stanadyne 16oz bottle. I then take one of those bottles on the day I expect to need fuel. That skinny neck bottle dumps into the fuel filler nicely without spilling.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:33 AM
SC_Dave
Tuned
I read it last night and the bottle says 8oz per 62.5 gallons of fuel.

The website says 8oz to 15 gallons of fuel.

That's not just a slight difference, that a huge difference.

Which is right? IDK but I'm calling them today.
David

Old 08-25-2015, 06:39 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Let us know what you find out. I could have sworn on the back of the large bottle found at the link below it was 2 oz per 25 gallons or something. I guess I will have to look when I get home later too.

Amazon.com: STANADYNE DIESEL LUBRICITY FORMULA - 64 OZ.: Automotive Amazon.com: STANADYNE DIESEL LUBRICITY FORMULA - 64 OZ.: Automotive

Old 08-25-2015, 06:56 AM
yodafj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use 8oz per tank every other fill works great

Old 08-25-2015, 08:56 AM
SC_Dave
Tuned
OK, talked to the guy at Stanadyne this morning. BTW it isn't Stanadyne anymore, someone bought them out I guess. He told me the name but it really wasn't that important to me.

I asked about the confusion in the Lubricity Additive instructions on the bottle vs what is on the site. When he tried to explain it to me he got confused himself. It finally came down to the 1:1000 ratio. Which for my fill-ups (usually 25 gallons +-) would put me adding 3.2oz rounded off to 3oz per tank. It's hard for me to believe that 3 oz's of anything could make a difference in 25 gallons of fuel, unless it was water. I don't think you could over treat within reason but that's how the math worked out.

He said the dosage on the bottles that you get at Auto Zone, O'reilly's etc. are for Volks Wagons! Yes that's right he said Volks Wagons!

Then he said something that made no sense to me. He asked "why are you using the Lubricity Formula?" I responded "for lubrication." He told me I should be using the Performance Formula!?

Remember in my OP I said if you read the description they all sound like they do the same thing? Well he said the Performance Formula would lubricate sufficiently as well as raise the cetane level.

I don't know what the hell to use now.............

Old 08-25-2015, 09:05 AM
yodafj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is true it used to come in a flashy bottle few years ago and I had a case of it I got on sale, the 8oz I use was for a fill up and if it felt like a injector was sticking I would use 16oz. It works great for sticksion issues and it's mostly what it was designed for, but since I have been using power service I think its called. From walmart or wherever since I cant find it anymore where I live. Side note if your worried about the injectors as most are use rev x also in the oil for awhile and it will help alot.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:30 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Here's some context for my post.... I used to sell fuel additives for Schaeffer Manufacturing who is the largest fuel additive blender in the US. While working for Schaeffer, I learned a lot of the business and manufacturing issues within the fuel additive product business while I was selling. I thought that my years of manufacturing and chemical engineering experience would help me sell, but it did not. Therefore, being much more of an engineer than a salesman, I have found myself back in the engineering office because that is what I do best, and I am making more money, and I am much happier!

Here are some simple facts that might help you understand why the information you find can be so confusing.

1. Additive blenders will make different strength formulations of the exact same package, depending upon what market segment is being targeted (Joe consumer, racing shops, OTR truck suppliers, etc.). Each different strength will get a slightly different name and be either more or less easily found & purchased. This is one reason why and how the recommended dosage will vary from one information source to another for the "same product".

2. Web sites are not reliably updated as marketing packages of fuel additives change, or as they are developed. There are often sections of product descriptions which do not get updated as things change over time.

3. Web site updates do not always reflect the true science behind the products because the web sites are updated and built by people who do not even understand the science behind the products, much less understand subtle nuances from one product to another. Heck, even the sales reps generally do not understand the science subtleties in most cases because they are good at SELLING.. otherwise, they would be the scientists and engineers coming up with the formulations! Consequently, the company's technical support team will be a better source of information and guidance.

4. "Can such a small dose really work?" Absolutely. The reason the lubricity additives have become more necessary is because the refining process strips out some other volatile organic compounds which used to provide the lubricity required in our engines. These compounds are now stripped out because of changes to the refining process required by the EPA to generate ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel. Even before ULSD, additives were helpful because the initial fuel refining takes some of these compounds out anyway. The reality is that a little bit CAN go a long way, depending on how the blender wants to market the product (concentrated doses or dilute doses) -- concentrated doses are more difficult to manage by Joe consumer and most heavy truck drivers, so each blender simply chooses where they want to run on that front and markets accordingly. This is where they get most folks who tend t think along the lines of "more is better", and they end up selling the cheap dilution chemical with the "real stuff" and make more money!

5. "If a little bit is god, then more must be better!... just for a little extra insurance!" Nope. In fact, if you get the organic balance out of kilter too much (as in too much cetane boost), you can actually hinder the combustion dynamics and hurt your fuel economy while NOT gaining power or performance.

6. Some additives include cetane boosters, and some do not. Virtually all will have lubricity additive components, but some are much better than others.

7. Unless you are a chemist with a strong fuel technology background and are armed with the patented formulation for your additives, do NOT mix different additive products at all, not even from the same manufacturer! You really don't know what you're doing!

8. Because of the above, follow the blender's recommended dosage carefully.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:20 PM
SC_Dave
Tuned
Originally Posted by F250_
Here's some context for my post.... I used to sell fuel additives for Schaeffer Manufacturing who is the largest fuel additive blender in the US. While working for Schaeffer, I learned a lot of the business and manufacturing issues within the fuel additive product business while I was selling. I thought that my years of manufacturing and chemical engineering experience would help me sell, but it did not. Therefore, being much more of an engineer than a salesman, I have found myself back in the engineering office because that is what I do best, and I am making more money, and I am much happier!

Here are some simple facts that might help you understand why the information you find can be so confusing.

1. Additive blenders will make different strength formulations of the exact same package, depending upon what market segment is being targeted (Joe consumer, racing shops, OTR truck suppliers, etc.). Each different strength will get a slightly different name and be either more or less easily found & purchased. This is one reason why and how the recommended dosage will vary from one information source to another for the "same product".

2. Web sites are not reliably updated as marketing packages of fuel additives change, or as they are developed. There are often sections of product descriptions which do not get updated as things change over time.

3. Web site updates do not always reflect the true science behind the products because the web sites are updated and built by people who do not even understand the science behind the products, much less understand subtle nuances from one product to another. Heck, even the sales reps generally do not understand the science subtleties in most cases because they are good at SELLING.. otherwise, they would be the scientists and engineers coming up with the formulations! Consequently, the company's technical support team will be a better source of information and guidance.

4. "Can such a small dose really work?" Absolutely. The reason the lubricity additives have become more necessary is because the refining process strips out some other volatile organic compounds which used to provide the lubricity required in our engines. These compounds are now stripped out because of changes to the refining process required by the EPA to generate ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel. Even before ULSD, additives were helpful because the initial fuel refining takes some of these compounds out anyway. The reality is that a little bit CAN go a long way, depending on how the blender wants to market the product (concentrated doses or dilute doses) -- concentrated doses are more difficult to manage by Joe consumer and most heavy truck drivers, so each blender simply chooses where they want to run on that front and markets accordingly. This is where they get most folks who tend t think along the lines of "more is better", and they end up selling the cheap dilution chemical with the "real stuff" and make more money!

5. "If a little bit is god, then more must be better!... just for a little extra insurance!" Nope. In fact, if you get the organic balance out of kilter too much (as in too much cetane boost), you can actually hinder the combustion dynamics and hurt your fuel economy while NOT gaining power or performance.

6. Some additives include cetane boosters, and some do not. Virtually all will have lubricity additive components, but some are much better than others.

7. Unless you are a chemist with a strong fuel technology background and are armed with the patented formulation for your additives, do NOT mix different additive products at all, not even from the same manufacturer! You really don't know what you're doing!

8. Because of the above, follow the blender's recommended dosage carefully.
Thanks for the information Pete! What fuel additive do you run in your truck?
David

Old 08-25-2015, 09:17 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you seen this chart? Opti-Lube would be my first choice..... I tried Amsoil's product and liked it better than Stanadyne's and I don't use Amsoil any longer either.

Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2015, 12:57 AM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Optilube is hard to find, im gonna order a couple gallons in the near future. Today i bought a bottle of 2 stroke oil over a bottle of stanadyne.

Quick Reply: Who runs Stanadyne's Lubricity Formula?