Sponsored by: Moser

Power Steering Pump Refill - Type F ATF or ESW-M2C128-B PS Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:14 AM
JH1975
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Pump Refill - Type F ATF or ESW-M2C128-B PS Fluid

I've googled it and searched this site and I cannot find a definitive answer.

In my 1975 F350 (460) I had to pull my PS pump to swap out my fuel pump. I've put it all back together and now I need to know what to put in the PS pump. The owners manual only mentions topping up and identifiesESW-M2C128-B (of which I cannot find any PS fluid that seems to identify that code number. Lots of web discussions mention ESW-M2C128-C or D, but the PS fluids don't list this anywhere). The dipstick in the (what appears to be replacement) PS pump simply states "Use approved Ford fluid", The Haynes manual doesn't mention anything at all. When I drained the PS pump, everything that came out was red which tells me it was filled with ATF previously. Based on what I have been able to find, Type F was what was used on Fords of the period.

So this leaves me asking what the hell do I refill this thing with? If it was ATF in there previously, and I find and put in the correct PS fluid, will the mixing be a problem? If I put in Type F, and the previous owner put in Mercon/Dextron, will the mixing of these be a problem?

I'm leaning towards type F, but I'd like some opinions of folks who have been through this.

Thanks,

Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 AM
hickory1991
Fleet Mechanic

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Type F is what I use in my 76 F-250.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed, Type F.

I put "Power Steering Fluid" in my '79 F250 and had all kinds of problems.

Sidenote: Many of us replace 1 quart of oil with Type F, and even a quart in a full tank of gas.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:52 PM
jackburtonme
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Type F

Its getting harder to find, or they are re-labeling the oil or something. I purchased some a few months back, and if I remember right, I had to buy Dextron F or something, I cant remember how it was labeled? I couldn't find the old usual "type F" on the shelf??? WTF? The parts counter dude said they didn't make "type F" anymore? I new he didn't know what he was talking about. I looked a little closer and found it.

Anyone else run into this?? maybe its just that particular parts place I go to sometimes...

Old 08-24-2015, 01:01 PM
CelticOne
Regular User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jklnhyd
Many of us replace 1 quart of oil with Type F, and even a quart in a full tank of gas.
ATF in the gas tank? What is the purpose of this? Does it make the truck smoke like a b@st@rd?

Old 08-24-2015, 01:29 PM
dogdays
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
D-E-X-R-O-N

There is no T in Dexron. It's not electronic.

Both the power steering system and the automatic transmission are hydraulic systems and use hydraulic fluid. Automatic transmissions have clutches and the friction characteristics of the fluid matter more.

I'd go with Dexron/Mercon whichever number is readily available in your local Walmart.

Or ask an Amsoil dealer for some personalized advice.

R.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:02 PM
Vickadelphia
Junior User
Originally Posted by jackburtonme
Type F Its getting harder to find, or they are re-labeling the oil or something. I purchased some a few months back, and if I remember right, I had to buy Dextron F or something, I cant remember how it was labeled? I couldn't find the old usual "type F" on the shelf??? WTF? The parts counter dude said they didn't make "type F" anymore? I new he didn't know what he was talking about. I looked a little closer and found it. Anyone else run into this?? maybe its just that particular parts place I go to sometimes...
I believe it's the parts place you went to. My local autozone and O'Reilly have TYPE F in stock. Have had it for years and will continue to have it in stock. I worked at O'Reilly up until a couple of months ago and never had any type of knockoff for Type F. It was always clearly labeled "Type F" in the O'Reilly brand or Valvoline.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:18 PM
jackburtonme
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was a CARQUEST

Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CelticOne

ATF in the gas tank? What is the purpose of this? Does it make the truck smoke like a b@st@rd?
no smoking at all. it is a trick I learned on this forum. cleans better than "fuel cleaners", and is cheaper. I live in a smog state, so any way to keep the emissions from building up is good.

Some guys run it in their oil right before an oil change, i ran it for 3000 miles. third or fourth oil change, i had no more sludge.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:21 PM
JH1975
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jklnhyd
no smoking at all. it is a trick I learned on this forum. cleans better than "fuel cleaners", and is cheaper. I live in a smog state, so any way to keep the emissions from building up is good.

Some guys run it in their oil right before an oil change, i ran it for 3000 miles. third or fourth oil change, i had no more sludge.
You'll have to forgive me if I don't take your word for it. I have NEVER heard this before, but I will definitely look into. Just sounds like a Johnson rod and blinker fluid to me.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:22 PM
JH1975
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Vickadelphia
I believe it's the parts place you went to. My local autozone and O'Reilly have TYPE F in stock. Have had it for years and will continue to have it in stock. I worked at O'Reilly up until a couple of months ago and never had any type of knockoff for Type F. It was always clearly labeled "Type F" in the O'Reilly brand or Valvoline.
All the advance autos and autozones by me (Miami) all list Type F in stock on the website, but only the house brands. None have any of the national brand Type F listed. We'll see when I get there.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:28 PM
JH1975
Freshman User
All this ATF research leads me to another question. Based on the invoices I got with the truck, a PO had the C6 rebuilt by Aamco about 12 years ago...based on that, would I use Mercon in the Tranny now, or Type F?

Old 08-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Vickadelphia
Junior User
Originally Posted by JH1975
All the advance autos and autozones by me (Miami) all list Type F in stock on the website, but only the house brands. None have any of the national brand Type F listed. We'll see when I get there.
I'm unsure what anyone else carries besides house brand. I know for a fact the Oreilly in my town has Valvoline. I'd imagine majority of Oreillys had them in stock at one point in time. It may be a "non-stock" item now but sometimes items stay at the store from when it was a "stock" item but is sitting in the back instead of out front for everyone to see. You may have to ask if there's other brands.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:51 PM
Vickadelphia
Junior User
Originally Posted by JH1975
All this ATF research leads me to another question. Based on the invoices I got with the truck, a PO had the C6 rebuilt by Aamco about 12 years ago...based on that, would I use Mercon in the Tranny now, or Type F?
Great question. I've heard and read that mercon should be used after a rebuild but I'm not too familiar with that. I'm still running fine on my 79 C6 and haven't had to get it rebuilt. I wanna say mercon is the way to go but don't take my word alone on that.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:05 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Walmart usually stocks type F. I know many racers run Walmart house brand in their transmissions so must be OK. I run parts store PS fluid in my Dent and Dextron ATF in another classic. They both seem to work fine for me. I think type F is a good choice and readily available.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Refill - Type F ATF or ESW-M2C128-B PS Fluid