Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Ford F53 Chassis MotorHome P0715 P0720 speed sensor codes Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 02:13 PM
Robv27
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[/QUOTE]Is the 7/99 date the motorhome manufacture?s date, or the date the chassis was manufactured?[/QUOTE]

7/99 is the date of the chassis, the motorhome is a 2000, but i dont know the month

Old 08-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The motorhome date is irrelevant. It is the chassis date that's important. By 7/99 the E4OD was out of production and all F-Series used the 4R100. That's what yours had/has. Somebody has really cobbled things together. It's never going to shift right without the TSS and OSS. You can't get those signals anywhere else.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Robv27
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The motorhome date is irrelevant. It is the chassis date that's important. By 7/99 the E4OD was out of production and all F-Series used the 4R100. That's what yours had/has. Somebody has really cobbled things together. It's never going to shift right without the TSS and OSS. You can't get those signals anywhere else.
Ok, sounds right! So i think my best bet is to install the TSS ans OSS sensors and wire them to the PCM, correct? Now the only thing im worried about is that i dont have the Boss to install the OSS. Only have it for the TSS, which has the little white cover with the bolt. I dont know,what to do there. And i read that the TSS and OSS sensors use the same part numbers, could you verify that for me? Thanks again in advance!

Old 08-25-2015, 05:40 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Let's go back to basics, and in so doing, I have a question: Is it an F53 (Class A?)? Or E-series (Class C?)?

Is there a speedo gear/sensor in the tranny and is it wired to anything?

This is getting weirder and weirder by the hour

Old 08-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Robv27
New User
Originally Posted by Krewat
Let's go back to basics, and in so doing, I have a question: Is it an F53 (Class A?)? Or E-series (Class C?)?

Is there a speedo gear/sensor in the tranny and is it wired to anything?

This is getting weirder and weirder by the hour
Yes Krewat! I agree, weird and frustrating. Everything looks stock! All original parts, but anyway... To,answer your questions, its a Class A. Its a Damon Intruder 349.
No speedo gear in tranny... I believe it gets the speedo signal from VSS in the pumpkin... Thanks for inputting!

Old 08-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Robv27
New User
hey guys, I just thought of something, when I replaced the VSS on the Pumpkin, I noticed the U Joint assy between the Drive shaft and rear diferential was brand new. Could it be that whoever installed it turned it like 180 degrees from where it was and now the driveshaft (which was never disconnected from the trans) and the rear diferential are out of timing like 180 degrees? could there be a timing off now between the transmission and rear diferential and being that the VSS is in the differential, it could be throwing those codes? the P0720 comes on as soon as it shifts to 2nd gear and the P0715 comes on in about 5 miles? Please let me know your thoughts!! Thanks in advance!

Old 08-26-2015, 08:38 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

That must be it! The out of phase driveshaft has caused two sensors and their associated wiring to vanish into thin air! You've solved the mystery. Now if you put the driveshaft back where it should be the wiring and the two missing sensors will reappear.

If you recognize how ridiculous what I wrote is, you'll see just how impossible what you asked is. There is no timing between the transmission and the rear axle.

I've said it before, and I'll say it now for the last time. Without the TSS and OSS sensors and their associated wiring this unit will NEVER work properly.

Good luck fixing this, I'm through.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:06 AM
Robv27
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
That must be it! The out of phase driveshaft has caused two sensors and their associated wiring to vanish into thin air! You've solved the mystery. Now if you put the driveshaft back where it should be the wiring and the two missing sensors will reappear.

If you recognize how ridiculous what I wrote is, you'll see just how impossible what you asked is. There is no timing between the transmission and the rear axle.

I've said it before, and I'll say it now for the last time. Without the TSS and OSS sensors and their associated wiring this unit will NEVER work properly.

Good luck fixing this, I'm through.
Wow Mark really? You have to understand im not a mechanic or transmission engineer!!! Im looking for every option possible to try to fix this thing trying to understand what could have happened!! I have checked the transmission and engine part numbers and they match and look all original to this RV! The sensors and harnesses ARE NOT THERE! So this truck had to have ran before the way it is!! I absolutely respect your knowledge and experience with these vehicles and i understand you are saying it HAS to have the sensors, but before i install them, i was trying to get it running with the way it it now!!! Be a little more patient with me as im trying to work on this, and again! Thanks for your help!

Old 08-26-2015, 12:01 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
It's fairly obvious you got screwed on this purchase, either by the dealer or the original owner. One of them did something goofy which wasn't completely disclosed and you're just now trying to unravel it after the fact.

Bottom line is that, until the whole thing is restored to the factory configuration, we really cannot help you.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:19 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Come on, guys, really?

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Bottom line is that, until the whole thing is restored to the factory configuration, we really cannot help you.
"We" are still willing to help.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:44 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I guess my question would be - to where would you connect the missing sensors if you were to somehow install them? I read through this pretty quickly but it seems to me you don't seem to have some of the pins that some of the diagrams say your computer should have? Nor can you locate any stray wiring + connectors that are missing their sensors? Nor do you have the actual sensors installed that FTE knowledge says you should have?

Perhaps somebody installed an incorrect replacement computer; perhaps the missing wires were purposely cut off at the harness; perhaps the transmission has been replaced with something that "will work" but is not quite correct; perhaps you've been screwed, and somebody reset the codes which allowed it to run for a short while during a test drive, thereby hiding the problems.

I would do some more homework and try and find some actual factory documentation describing what was originally equipped...

Old 08-26-2015, 02:13 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Robv27
Wow Mark really?
Yes, really. I have said many times that you MUST have those sensors or it isn't going to run right. There is no way around that. There is no other way to get the signals for those sensors.

i was trying to get it running with the way it it now!!!
As I've said before that's impossible. You can't do it, I can't do it.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Vwags
Elder User
[QUOTE=Mark Kovalsky;15597285]Yes, really. I have said many times that you MUST have those sensors or it isn't going to run right. There is no way around that. There is no other way to get the signals for those sensors.

As I've said before that's impossible. You can't do it, I can't do it.[/QUOTE]

Mark, how long would you expect it to run semi properly with those signals? Is it possible that the PCM memory was cleared right at delivery and it took a bit of driving for symptoms to show up?

OP have you tried clearing the codes and see how it drives? Not that it will fix anything but may help you to see more clearly how it could be ok and now it isn't.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Vwags
Mark, how long would you expect it to run semi properly with those signals? Is it possible that the PCM memory was cleared right at delivery and it took a bit of driving for symptoms to show up?

OP have you tried clearing the codes and see how it drives? Not that it will fix anything but may help you to see more clearly how it could be ok and now it isn't.
Here is the answer to how long it takes to set the codes. He's already cleared the codes and found they come right back.

Update: Friday, after leaving autozone, the dude erased the codes, and i drove it around for 45 minutes and it never stalled. than i drove it home and parked it and it restarted fine. yesterday (saturday), i went to drive it again and no SVC ENG SOON Light on when i started it, but after driving it for about 6 miles, The light came on, and soon after it stalled again. so than noticed the light is coming on and stalling after 2 driving cycles. So since I'm planning to go on a trip in 3 weeks i bought my own scanner. Scanned and same codes! but if i keep clearing the code before it hits the 2nd driving cycle when the codes are "Pending", it never stalls!!

Old 08-26-2015, 08:27 PM
Robv27
New User
It's fairly obvious you got screwed on this purchase, either by the dealer or the original owner. One of them did something goofy which wasn't completely disclosed and you're just now trying to unravel it after the fact.
That's exsacly right! I 100% agree with you. but now I have to deal with it so it is what it is...

My friend, its obvious that I have to get to the factory configuration! we all know that! you really cannot help me? (BTW that was rude) Well, if I didn't want to get it to factory configuration, I wouldn't be here trying to get everyones help!! that's why im here!! don't say "We really Cannot help you"!! that's what forums are all about dude!! we are supposed to help each other out!! im sure you needed forum help before, and you got it!!

Originally Posted by Krewat
Come on, guys, really?

"We" are still willing to help.
Thanks for that Krewat! I really appreciated! I think that's what its all about!! Maybe some day someone will need info from this thread and we all we'll end up helping them!

Quick Reply: Ford F53 Chassis MotorHome P0715 P0720 speed sensor codes Please help!