Issues with my 2014 - looking for help - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Issues with my 2014 - looking for help

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 AM
Freshman User

jblueguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Issues with my 2014 - looking for help

I have a beautiful 2014 XLT Super Crew 4x4. 5.0L sounds great and has a good deal of power. Love this truck, BUT....

Why the hell is there a detent in the sun visor? It flips up and doesn't stay where I put it.

The detents on the doors are put in HORRIBLE locations. You have to either weigh 60 pounds to get in or out, or the door swings into the vehicle next to you.

My fuel door spring broke and it just flops as I drive down the road. I have about 12k miles on this truck. Howzbout some quality here...?

The shocks in this thing drive me NUTS!!! When I drive over little bumps like cracks that swell up in the road, it shimmys and wiggles. This is not a damaged part, it's in the design, and is not really confidence inspiring. The worst part of this is that there are no aftermarket shocks to fit my truck. I guess the front suspension is a hybrid of the '09-13 generation and the new '15. I accept that the engineers are trying to have a comfortable ride. But I want a firmer ride and I can't get one. My dealer told me my truck was built between October and December, and the suspension is a different design than the trucks built before October. Awesome. I told my salesman I can't be the only person to be bothered by this. He said he has never heard of anyone having a problem with the ride. I'm calling BS.

I love my truck, but my expectations are high. This is the best selling truck for a reason. These issues are not to the standard that Ford has set. If anyone has experience taking care of these issues, please let me know what I need to do. These are little annoyances, but I don't want to dislike my truck.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Posting Guru

NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.
Here is a solution to the door detents. > Door Detent 3.0 by northlight labs | Now F-150 Doors Open Just Right
As for the visor detents. I can't help because I have no issues with mine.
Since you're still under warranty I'd let the dealer fix the fuel door.

92 Bronco
Old 08-23-2015, 05:54 PM
New User

gcan is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with jblueguy.....I love my truck but have to admit the first time my wife rode in it she commented on feeling every bump or crack in the road in my new 2014 F150, I traded in a 07 F150, and also agree on the door issue.
While I'm glad there is an aftermarket fix it's a shame I'm about to spend $90 to make the door work reasonably on a $50K truck
Old 08-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
No aftermarket options huh?

2014-2015
There's some. Oh, and rear shocks from 09-13 will work on your 14. The design change is in the lower mount on the strut (aka, coilover).

SwayAWay 2.5" resi's F&R. RAS. 275/65/20 KO2. Rigid SAE fogs & SRM backups. CBIs in OEM HIDs
Kicker Substage. 35% fronts. Bedrug. Bakflip F1. EZ Down.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:03 PM
Postmaster

Robbgt has a great reputation on FTE.Robbgt has a great reputation on FTE.Robbgt has a great reputation on FTE.Robbgt has a great reputation on FTE.Robbgt has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASSTY View Post
Here is a solution to the door detents. > Door Detent 3.0 by northlight labs | Now F-150 Doors Open Just Right
Another vote for the northernlightlabs detents. I have them on mine and work great

Old 08-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcan View Post
While I'm glad there is an aftermarket fix it's a shame I'm about to spend $90 to make the door work reasonably on a $50K truck
You know, these statements always strike me oddly.

When you buy a pair of pants, do they always fit just perfectly, right where you want them to be? I'm going to safely assume that you likely wear a belt, which helps the pants fit to your liking and of which its cost ratio to the pants is likely much closer than the detents to the truck.

Just a thought.

SwayAWay 2.5" resi's F&R. RAS. 275/65/20 KO2. Rigid SAE fogs & SRM backups. CBIs in OEM HIDs
Kicker Substage. 35% fronts. Bedrug. Bakflip F1. EZ Down.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Freshman User

I do wear a belt. To me a belt is an accessory for a pair of pants, not a part of it's basic function. A belt seems more like a tonneau cover. This seems more like my pants had pockets that were a half-inch deep. Not a huge deal, but pretty annoying.

If I had spent $40,000 for my pants, those pockets had better be right. Especially since my last pair of pants had pockets that were fine. Why mess with it?

Ford changed the design of those door detents, but they didn't need to. Every Ford truck I have had before this one had doors that acted normally. This is a change for the worse.

Engineers are supposed to refine their design as they go along. They missed the mark here. It's not the end of the world, but they should do better. When I spend this kind of money for a vehicle, I shouldn't have to spend $90 to fix their poor design.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:33 PM
New User

gcan is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wasn't sure how to respond without soundng like a jerk but JBLUEGUY said it well, if I spent $40K+ the pocket better be right. I also had a 2007 F150 and the doors worked fine but have ordered the dents upgrade since I found out about it.... still seems odd that the engineers thought this was a "better idea".

Kinda like loosing the gas cap and the standard blinker just my $.02
Old 08-29-2015, 11:19 PM
Posting Guru

CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm sure when new trucks were $2,000 guys had high expectations........door detents are as mentioned a small expense in the big picture.......and most likely the factory detent is setup for parking in tight spots as you would in any normal parking lot like Walmart , Target , your local grocery store etc... I liked my '99 F250 door setup better but I've gotten used to the '13 F150 door setup and it's saved me a inadvertent swing out into the vehicle next to me more than once......if you have kids it might even be a plus
Old 08-31-2015, 08:59 AM
Posting Guru

Frantz has a great reputation on FTE.Frantz has a great reputation on FTE.Frantz has a great reputation on FTE.Frantz has a great reputation on FTE.
The new blinker is a far better design from a simplicity standpoint. It removes the old mechanical plastic clips that would break after years. The new one is a simple electronic switch. It feels different, but it's an improvement to simplicity....

As for all the talk about pants... the profit margin on pants is much much higher than on trucks. But it's the tailoring that would add labor cost that you generally are unwilling to pay, because it would double or triple the cost of the pants. Paying a few hundred bucks to make a $40k truck perfect for you is proportionally a damn good deal.
DD 2015 Fiesta S Manual Hatch
Old 08-31-2015, 09:07 PM
Freshman User

Some of you guys are so defensive. Easy now... First, I really like the new turn signal. It took a minute to get used to, but now I actually prefer it. The forum here has given me a great alternative for the door detents, and I am planning to get some bilstein shocks for the rear. They will fit, and the rear axle is the one that bounces around the most. The change in the mount is in the front.

Don't get me wrong, I love my truck. I have always been a Ford man, and I have no plans to change that. As I said earlier, my expectations are high, due to the quality level of these vehicles. I don't mind paying for some tailoring. I just need some struts to fit the front of my truck.

I called my dealer, and he said he will fix my fuel door. Things are looking up.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Official Ford Rep

FordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblueguy View Post
...I called my dealer, and he said he will fix my fuel door. Things are looking up.
I'm glad to hear that your dealership is going to take good care of you, jblueguy. Let me know how the fuel door repair goes; I'm always just a PM away if you need my assistance.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
Old 09-12-2015, 12:06 AM
Senior User

newfordy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASSTY View Post
Agreed, the Northlightlabs product is worth the $90, especially if you figure the price of new detents is $40-$45 each.

My preferred position of the visor is just short of full deployed, which the detent prevents.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Postmaster

PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.
There is nothing wrong with having high expectations when you purchase a truck. Mine is the Platinum and I expected it to be excellent and for the most part it is. I also bought the door detents 3.0 (yet to install..lol) and honestly you can nitpick about any vehicle. One of mine is that the ambient lights ALWAYS seem to change back to blue regardless of what lights you choose. They stay at the color I choose for a week and then you get back in and they are blue again (annoying).

There are always going to be little tweaks that are better than the factory out there...and for a majority of the people the stock form is more than sufficient...for others there will always be the need to tweak things.

My Mod Thread 2013 F150 Platinum, Ego-Boost, 3.73, max tow, skid plates, and bed liner, 32% ceramic tinting.
2016 Explorer Sport-3.5L EGOboost!