1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Pammmm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is it acceptable to ask here what my 1950 Ford F1 truck is worth and to post 2 photos? Thank you.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:02 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the madness and the best forum on the net. Yes post pics as far as value maybe some of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in but you need to post details to really figure out what any truck is worth. Even then it is just a best guess.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Pammmm
New User
Thanks, Dave.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:16 AM
Pammmm
New User
I have a 1950 Ford F1 Flat Head V8 truck, 4 (?) speed manual. All original and unrestored. In the photos it looks blue, but I'm pretty sure I was told the original color was green. I am trying to figure out a reasonable price to ask for this truck. When I have done online searches to get an idea of what it is worth, I can only find 1950's that have been restored and usually into hot rods. Yes, that is a dent in the roof and the truck does not run now.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:24 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pammmm
Is it acceptable to ask here what my 1950 Ford F1 truck is worth and to post 2 photos? Thank you.
As Dave posted, you're fine with the question and the pictures, however if you are looking to sell the truck you'll need to post in the classified section.
We get a lot of new posters here looking to pin down a value on these fine old trucks, but fair warning, you might get some very brutal and honest responses. Don't take this as an attack on your truck or you, but with all these phony "reality tv shows" people tend to this old is gold and junk is priceless. In the real world those folks are very disappointed. Two photos will not do a good truck justice and with a poor truck you won't get any real answers.

Here are a few guidelines on what effects the value..

Location ... shipping is not cheap
Title .. 20-30 years ago people were not so concerned, but today it is very IMPORTANT
Drive train condition ... Does it run, shift, drive and STOP?
Frame .. is it rusted, cut or welded anywhere? Is the Serial number stamped in the correct location and does it match the paperwork?
Cab.. is the floor solid...the cab corners, both front and rear? The door bottoms? Is the dash unmolested, and are the original gauges in good-fair condition?
Doghouse condition of hood, fenders grill
Bed ... is it intact and usable or repairable, tailgate

Old 08-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Pammmm
New User
OK. I understand. I am not looking to sell it here, just get a few responses as to the value of the truck. I do have the title for the truck. It does not run right now. I don't know why. Maybe I should just ask if $5000 is a reasonable price to put on this pickup, knowing the little you do know about it. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:43 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pammmm
OK. I understand. I am not looking to sell it here, just get a few responses as to the value of the truck. I do have the title for the truck. It does not run right now. I don't know why. Maybe I should just ask if $5000 is a reasonable price to put on this pickup, knowing the little you do know about it. Thanks.
$5K, from what I see it way too high. not that there might be somebody out there willing to pay it, but a non running truck just is not worth that much. From what little I can see (the pictures posted are not good at all) I can tell that the left front fender is full of bondo, so the chances that the rest are the same is very good. Whoever did the bad paint job obviously did to cover up the bad attempts at body work.

With the information so far available, if the title is clean AND in your name and the numbers match the frame, I'd look at this as being worth between $800 and $1500 depending on the conditions I mentioned in my earlier post.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:55 AM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
How fast do you want to sell this truck? If you are in no hurry, then stick whatever price on it you want, and see what kind of offers you get. You can always come down on the price later.

While some of us think 5k is too high, you might end up getting someone who thinks that's an ok price.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:28 PM
51fred
More Turbo
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
An operating vehicle will almost always sell for more and quicker. Was the truck running before? It may be worth a small investment to get it running again.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:29 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Considering the truck appears to be complete, I think it's worth at least the $1500, maybe $2k. Assuming the title is clear and correct, and depending on Why it isn't running. Is the engine stuck? or is it some electrical problem? Brakes? etc.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:46 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
What I would spend depends on what is under the paint. Previous repairs or rust not seen in the pics make it hard to judge a price, but I still wouldnt pay more than $1500 because I would be tearing it all down to do over anyway. I paid $500 for the truck in my build #1 and $1500 for the truck my build #2 for comparison.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:50 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That looks like my dream truck. I wish it was in the PNW so I could look at it.
Does the engine turn over at all by hand? Or is it stuck? Any brakes?

Old 08-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Pammmm
New User
I have no knowledge about what works and what doesn't work on this truck. I just know I what I was told. Thanks to everyone for your help and ideas on a price.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:23 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a pretty nice truck for a project...but while it is a "project" and not a running truck...I agree with somewhere between $1200 - $1800...that roof might scare off a lot of the less-experienced-in-bodywork buyers (like myself).

Old 08-23-2015, 07:45 AM
toby tough
Posting Guru
The 49 cab I got had a big dent in the roof similar to that and I popped it out with a rubber mallet. Still have some creases to work out, but they aren't too bad.

Quick Reply: Question