Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

NV Smog Reject for O2 Sensors

Old 08-22-2015, 08:09 AM
BC23
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NV Smog Reject for O2 Sensors

Hello. I have a 2013 F150 Ecoboost with 17k miles on it that I've had since new. This is the first year I had to smog it for registration renewal. It's "rejecting" at the smog stations for O2 sensors. I took it to the dealership and they said I must've had the battery die or disconnected the battery (neither of which has happened) and would need to drive it to 'reset' the system. Did that for a week- still rejected. Brought it back to dealership- they've now had it five days and keep doing the drive cycle on it but it is not clearing the problem. I'm picking the truck up this morning to take it to a NV DMV emissions lab and they're going to do a "challenge test" then issue me a 30 day movement permit since the registration is now overdue because of this fiasco. Then I'm bringing it back to the dealership. I can tell the they don't know what to do. Since its still under warranty they're paying for a rental car during this mess but I just want my truck back and be able to register it. I've read another thread saying it's possible those sensors will never not reject depending on the setup of the vehicle. I will say the vehicle was shipped from a dealer in southern California to the one I got it from in Vegas- if that matters emmissions wise. Any advice would be much appreciated because all the dealer keeps doing is putting more miles every day on the truck doing the drive cycle and it ain't fixin anything.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:37 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome BC23. Hang in there. Occasionally the Ford Customer Service reps will pop up on the forum and offer to help you out. Is there another Ford service anywhere near you?

Old 08-22-2015, 10:28 AM
f31951truck
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Usually in a case like this a reflash of the pcm is in order. I'm afraid since it is under warranty, they are on the hook for repairs. I am an emission repair tech in NJ and I will say the newer vehicles are harder to get ready than the older ones, especially the o2 monitor. Sometimes resetting the pcm memory and starting from scratch works too. Keep after the dealer although I am sure they have contacted ford engineering by now or at least hope they have. Let me know how this pans out and good luck.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:01 PM
BC23
New User
Thank you for the replies. Got the 30 day movement permit after the failed challenge test at the DMV. Truck is back at the dealer now. I escalated the issue to Ford a few days ago and am going to check Monday to see if they've reached out to the engineers. I feel like simply doing the drive cycle over and over is like rebooting a faulty computer and just hoping you get lucky once.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:51 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BC23
Thank you for the replies. Got the 30 day movement permit after the failed challenge test at the DMV. Truck is back at the dealer now. I escalated the issue to Ford a few days ago and am going to check Monday to see if they've reached out to the engineers. I feel like simply doing the drive cycle over and over is like rebooting a faulty computer and just hoping you get lucky once.
Hi BC23,

Welcome to the forum! I'm the Ford Service rep on this site; I'd like to see what I can do to help out. Since you're a new member, you may not have access to PMs yet. If that's the case, send your case number to custserv@ford.com. Be sure to put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line and post here once you've sent it. If you don't have your case number handy, email your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work on some options to assist.

Crystal

Old 08-24-2015, 11:13 AM
BC23
New User
Hi Crystal,

Thank you. I emailed my case number as you requested. It was my plan to reach out today to see if the dealership has contacted any Ford engineers but if you can offer any insight that'd be great.

BC

Hi BC23,

Welcome to the forum! I'm the Ford Service rep on this site; I'd like to see what I can do to help out. Since you're a new member, you may not have access to PMs yet. If that's the case, send your case number to custserv@ford.com. Be sure to put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line and post here once you've sent it. If you don't have your case number handy, email your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work on some options to assist.

Crystal[/QUOTE]

Old 08-24-2015, 12:54 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Hi Crystal,

Thank you. I emailed my case number as you requested. It was my plan to reach out today to see if the dealership has contacted any Ford engineers but if you can offer any insight that'd be great.

BC...
Thanks, BC! I got your email and sent you a reply. Keep us in the loop.

Crystal

Old 08-24-2015, 01:40 PM
BC23
New User
Thanks Crystal. I'll share with you what I did the service advisor on Saturday when I brought the truck back. Twice a year I throw my ATV in the back of the truck and go to Utah on vacation. I have a trip scheduled for Thursday. So if they haven't fixed it by then I need my truck back for that trip and then I'll be returning it again to thr dealer. I'm hoping we're not still scratching our heads on this problem by then but just an fyi. Thanks, BC! I got your email and sent you a reply. Keep us in the loop.

Crystal[/QUOTE]

Old 08-25-2015, 06:42 PM
BC23
New User
I still have heard nothing from the dealership and nothing from Ford. Scheduled to go on a trip to Utah on Friday with the truck. No one is even telling me what's going on. Called my "case manager" twice today and got his voicemail. Pretty disconcerting. Was supposed to receive a call from somebody today.

Thanks Crystal. I'll share with you what I did the service advisor on Saturday when I brought the truck back. Twice a year I throw my ATV in the back of the truck and go to Utah on vacation. I have a trip scheduled for Thursday. So if they haven't fixed it by then I need my truck back for that trip and then I'll be returning it again to thr dealer. I'm hoping we're not still scratching our heads on this problem by then but just an fyi. Thanks, BC! I got your email and sent you a reply. Keep us in the loop.

Crystal[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Old 08-25-2015, 09:17 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Id demand a truck to use while yours is in the shop.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:18 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
I still have heard nothing from the dealership and nothing from Ford. Scheduled to go on a trip to Utah on Friday with the truck. No one is even telling me what's going on. Called my "case manager" twice today and got his voicemail. Pretty disconcerting. Was supposed to receive a call from somebody today...
Hi BC23,

I reached out to your customer service manager and asked him when you should expect a call. As soon as I hear back from him, I'll touch base with you.

Crystal

Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 AM
BC23
New User
Hi Crystal,

Thanks. It is my sincere hope that they have involved Ford engineers at this point. They've had the truck ten days now and hope they are not simply doing the drive cycle over and over. If it hasn't cleared the problem by now- it ain't workin. If they still have it tomorrow, I have no choice but to take it back- unless they give me another truck to take to Utah on a trip I've had planned for months and have already paid for (cabin rental). Then I'll have to bring it back upon my return. They're paying for my tiny rental car but it I do have to pay the taxes on it so that's cost me fifty bucks thus far too. I'm really getting frustrated- not with the vehicle, with Ford.

Hi BC23,

I reached out to your customer service manager and asked him when you should expect a call. As soon as I hear back from him, I'll touch base with you.

Crystal[/QUOTE]

Old 08-26-2015, 03:08 PM
BC23
New User
Just got a message from my case manager. They are just doing the drive cycle over and over until it "resets" and clears those faults. I am not an auto technician nor am I an engineer. However, having worked on F-16s for years and taught advanced troubleshooting on the weapons system for four years I have a couple questions. Does the manufacturer's troubleshooting manual state to perform the drive cycle test an indefinite amount of times and that's it? There is nothing to do beyond this? What about a "reflash" of the PCM as was suggested by another person in this thread (thank you by the way)? At what point does it get elevated to people who designed and built the system (as I had to do on more than one occasion during my Air Force time)? Also, if the diagnosis is that this was caused by a dead or disconnected battery- that is a false assumption. I'm the only owner of the vehicle and neither of those things has occurred. In theory these faults could have existed since I've had this vehicle and only came to light recently because this was it's first smog check in two plus years. If that's the case, it's had over 17k miles to reset- unsuccessfully. Also, if they're going to keep my truck indefinitely I want another truck to drive until I get this one back. I'm tired of driving a Nissan Versa Note. I might be able to tow the car to Utah with my ATV but doubt the car could tow the ATV.

Hi Crystal,

Thanks. It is my sincere hope that they have involved Ford engineers at this point. They've had the truck ten days now and hope they are not simply doing the drive cycle over and over. If it hasn't cleared the problem by now- it ain't workin. If they still have it tomorrow, I have no choice but to take it back- unless they give me another truck to take to Utah on a trip I've had planned for months and have already paid for (cabin rental). Then I'll have to bring it back upon my return. They're paying for my tiny rental car but it I do have to pay the taxes on it so that's cost me fifty bucks thus far too. I'm really getting frustrated- not with the vehicle, with Ford.

Hi BC23,

Crystal[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Old 08-26-2015, 03:40 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Just got a message from my case manager. They are just doing the drive cycle over and over until it "resets" and clears those faults. I am not an auto technician nor am I an engineer. However, having worked on F-16s for years and taught advanced troubleshooting on the weapons system for four years I have a couple questions. Does the manufacturer's troubleshooting manual state to perform the drive cycle test an indefinite amount of times and that's it? There is nothing to do beyond this? What about a "reflash" of the PCM as was suggested by another person in this thread (thank you by the way)?...
Hi BC23,

Since I'm not a technician, I'd recommend contacting the service manager at your dealership; they'll be in the best position to answer mechanical questions. Additionally, your CSM would be the ideal resource to ask about getting a different rental. If you have difficulty getting in touch with anyone, just let me know.

Crystal