1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Getting ready for next seasons heat.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 12:35 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Getting ready for next seasons heat.

My truck has always run cool but after pulling a long grade followed by stop and go traffic, my C4 got up to 220 which I wasn't comfortable with, $59 is cheaper than rebuilding the tranny again. So I ordered a B&M Super Cooler and added it after the radiator cooler. Why I was at it I picked up some Russell's insulation from Summit to help with vapor lock, which I put around the fuel line under the hood. If we have a Nor Cal. get together next spring I want to be ready to go. I know this is just little stuff compared to some of the beautiful builds going on but I thought Id post it anyway. I like seeing everyone's day to day stuff, and figured others may be like me. Take care my friends.

Attached Images    
Old 10-15-2015, 01:02 AM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Transmission cooler

Jim
I am also adding a small transmission cooler to work in conjunction with the radiator cooler. I am adding a power steering cooler as well as we get a few 100 degree days in the Sacramento area. I am running a small eletric fuel pump, near the fuel tank, and a fuel pressure regulator before the mechanical fuel pump, to attempt to alleviate potential vapor lock. Might be overkill, but that is what I am doing.

We are definitely having a NorCal FTE Meet-up and I am glad you will have your truck ready.

Looking forward to meeting you and the otherNorCal members.

Take Care

Dan

Old 10-15-2015, 07:08 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Jim We love to see pic's even of the small jobs. Thats what helps when you buy a project from someone thats already disassembled. It keeps the enthusiasm alive for those not as complete as yours and isnt that the name of the forum, Enthusiasts!!!

Old 10-15-2015, 09:49 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Good looking engine bay Jim. Happy motoring!

Old 10-15-2015, 11:28 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Jimmy,
Your truck is looking fine as always, the only thing I might add is having your plug wires zip tied together can cause cross fire issues. I would only suggest you separate your wires with an appropriate wire separator for performance reasons.

Keep up the great work and posting it.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I run those B&M Super Coolers too. Biggest one I can get. Work great in the Arizona heat. I even built a shroud and put an electric fan on the one on my tow vehicle.

I think you got it handled and I also like seeing posts like this. I get ideas and inspiration for my projects.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:52 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Jim, Thanks for sharing. I am almost to the point of the trans cooler. Can you provide any more info or PICS of the way you chose to install it and plumb it? I saw on youtube where it looked like they zip tied it through the cooling fins and that didn't look right. Also, I guess there are options as far as how to make the hose connections...barb,NPT etc. Thanks Matt

Old 10-15-2015, 02:39 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
Jimmy,
Your truck is looking fine as always, the only thing I might add is having your plug wires zip tied together can cause cross fire issues. I would only suggest you separate your wires with an appropriate wire separator for performance reasons.

I learn something on almost every thread. I had heard that parallel plug wires can arc, and that was the reason for the crossover. Now the separators make sense by keeping them apart but neat. Thanks for the pointer, it will go on my to do list.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:52 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Jimmy,

Originally Posted by filthy6
Hey Jim, Thanks for sharing. I am almost to the point of the trans cooler. Can you provide any more info or PICS of the way you chose to install it and plumb it? I saw on youtube where it looked like they zip tied it through the cooling fins and that didn't look right. Also, I guess there are options as far as how to make the hose connections...barb,NPT etc. Thanks Matt
I used the provided zip tie thru the radiator method as per one of the installation methods, but I don't exactly like it either, (bent fins?) As far as the install I used the provided hose barb, and threaded it onto the return hard line, and did the same on the radiator output fitting. Then it's just a matter of running the provided rubber hose to both of the nipples on the new cooler. I still need to protect the new hose from chaffing where it goes under the radiator. If there is some thing I missed as far as the zip tie issue maybe someone else can chime in. I don't like bent fins.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:05 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Jimmy,

Sorry Dave my multi quote attempt didn't work. What I was trying to say is that I learn something new on almost every thread. I had heard that running plug wires parallel can cause cross fire, that is why I crossed my wires like that at the dist, I thought it may cancel out the run. Now that I know the purpose of the separators (neat but separate), I guess I need to re address the issue, thank you for the tip. I really like the billet separators that I think it was Charlie has on his motor, super clean.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:25 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by filthy6
Matt here is a pic of where the two hose barbs went (one in trans and one in hard line)and one of the back tie wrap backing. I still need to get and install some proper clamps to keep the hoses and hardline in place and protect from vibration , plus chafing as mentioned B4. I hope these help, sorry they are blurry.

Attached Images   
Old 10-16-2015, 12:39 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The pics and description are perfect. Hard to tell exactly how much trouble you saved me. I will start at a lot and then go up from there......Thanks