Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Potential serious issue with my 2.7EB

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ga2015f150
The plan the local service manager had to install a special diagnostic unit from the factory didn't happen. Three weeks ago I had the 5th loss of power under acceleration incident with my truck. The next business day I sent Ford a certified letter stating I felt the trouble and service history met the Georgia definition for Lemon Law coverage requiring buy back, and requested they do so.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your new truck, especially so soon after buying it. Good luck with Ford's Customer Service, keep us posted as to the progress. Let us know what you buy next.
Let's hope Ford figures out what's going on with these 2.7's and gets them straightened out within a year or two. The 2.7 EB is one of my top choices so this is another reason I'm waiting a few more years before I buy.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Robskater
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have had my 2.7 EB Lariat 4x4 for 5 months and put 6k miles on it. Really like my truck EXCEPT that I have had 4 sudden loss of power incidents have not been able to be diagnosed to date. Each incident was similar in that they happened 3 - 5 minutes from leaving home for the first time in the day. Each time the engine cut out without warning under moderate hard acceleration going through 40-50 mph. Just silence in the engine, with a whole lot of unrelated warnings flashing on the screen. Then stop, put it N or P. start up and no issue. After it happened the second time I took it to the dealer (exactly 3 months ago today) they did a read out of the diagnostic computer with nothing found. 4 or 5 weeks later I had it happen again and didn't go back to the dealer. This morning it did it a 4th time and I went back to the dealer. Same result - nothing found in the diagnostic read out. One can imagine scenarios which could be serious if the power quit at the wrong time.
I don't know what to do next, other than I am considering spending some money to mount a recording video camera in the truck to record the dash to provide evidence to take to Ford of what happens. Any ideas about this situation?
Mine was diagnosed the day I dropped it off for shutting down while driving it. It restarted and straight to the dealer it went with 3022 miles on it. SMART SENSE CONVERTER. This part is not in stock nationally, of the 6 that said they had it all said it was just sold. Is this a high fail part?! They may pull one from a new truck for me cause 11 days without a truck that is 6 weeks old is an issue.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:17 PM
ga2015f150
Freshman User
So after 30 days since Ford signed for my certified mail letter of complaint, no response. About 10 days ago customer service said the legal department is responsible for evaluating buy back scenarios. Two days ago I emailed the regional Ford customer service manager asking her if they were going to ignore my letter and got no reply. Was suprised that they would ignore a certified letter about a documented serious issue. Am now pursuing through other means.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:59 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
If they recognize the problem on your truck that sets the precedent for others. Better, for them, if they can ignore it. Or take their time figuring out what the problem is. Hopefully your other means will be effective.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:36 AM
AbitaPro
Senior User
Good luck!

So after 30 days since Ford signed for my certified mail letter of complaint, no response. About 10 days ago customer service said the legal department is responsible for evaluating buy back scenarios. Two days ago I emailed the regional Ford customer service manager asking her if they were going to ignore my letter and got no reply. Was suprised that they would ignore a certified letter about a documented serious issue. Am now pursuing through other means.
OP - from Fords standpoint their dealer has not documented a problem with your truck, as they haven't been able to reproduce or find codes to alert them of a problem. If they had and your truck had spent several weeks in their dealers shop being worked on, you'd be in a slightly better position. I believe you have a legitimate issue with your truck, but if the Ford dealer can't see the problem, or problem occur, it won't get repaired. Ford understands they have had similar electronic issues with other 2015s, but again, yours hasn't been documented by the dealer.

At this point a dealer trade is probably the quickest and cheapest way out for you, but then the next owner will be faced with the problem.

Best thing for everyone, is if Ford could locate the problem and fix it!

Good luck.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:53 AM
elemint
Elder User
You are correct, but I cannot tell you how many times I have read forums where many problems are reported and even TSB's are posted on the forums, but when you take the problem to the dealer they say they have never seen such problems, or they do not know of any TSB. Lying is often the default fix to difficult or pervasive problems.

Originally Posted by AbitaPro
OP - from Fords standpoint their dealer has not documented a problem with your truck, as they haven't been able to reproduce or find codes to alert them of a problem. If they had and your truck had spent several weeks in their dealers shop being worked on, you'd be in a slightly better position. I believe you have a legitimate issue with your truck, but if the Ford dealer can't see the problem, or problem occur, it won't get repaired. Ford understands they have had similar electronic issues with other 2015s, but again, yours hasn't been documented by the dealer.

At this point a dealer trade is probably the quickest and cheapest way out for you, but then the next owner will be faced with the problem.

Best thing for everyone, is if Ford could locate the problem and fix it!

Good luck.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:56 AM
Robskater
Freshman User

Originally Posted by Robskater
Mine was diagnosed the day I dropped it off for shutting down while driving it. It restarted and straight to the dealer it went with 3022 miles on it. SMART SENSE CONVERTER. This part is not in stock nationally, of the 6 that said they had it all said it was just sold. Is this a high fail part?! They may pull one from a new truck for me cause 11 days without a truck that is 6 weeks old is an issue.
Today my truck did it again. It now has only 3619 miles on it. Approximately 1 mile after leaving my home from work while getting on the highway on ramp my truck died. I got warnings on the screen which I took pictures of this time. "Hill Assist not available, Hill Start assist not available, Park Brake limited function service required, see manual, engine coolant over temperature. On 15 OCT I got the same issue at 3022 miles and immediately took it to the dealer. On OCT 26 I got it back after having the Smart Data Link replaced. THIS IS A SAFETY issue and now that it has happened twice I think I will pursue the lemon law. If I am in traffic here in San Diego and my truck dies I am stuck until I get it stopped and restart it. Mine did restart with no issue. I took photos of my gage cluster this time.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:23 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I realize you didn't want to spend the time, and you surely don't want to experience it again, but what would have happened if you had called the dealer and told them the truck was dead, again. Don't turn it off. Don't restart. Just tell them to come and get it.

Again, it is too late and you didn't want to spend the time on your way to work. But, it IS a safety issue and must be dealt with immediately. Perhaps having them come would get their attention. Or, maybe not.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Robskater
Freshman User
I called Ford Service. I opened a case on it. Definitely going to Lemon direction if they cant REALLY fix it this time. I took it to my dealer again. Documenting the heck out of this. It is a SAFETY issue when engines dies while driving and you are in traffic. They have another shot at fixing it. They gave me a rental. I really hope to get this thing the way a Brand New Truck should be. Two trips in less than 2 months with only 3600 miles on it is just ridiculous. I mean I know we can do better than this on the most popular vehicle sold in America.
I have 3 Fords in my driveway. An 06 Mustang, a 15 Explorer and the 15 F-150. I sure hope Ford fixes this thing and I definitely don't want to hear "well you know electrical issues are hard to find".....Then give me another new one.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
The safety issue is the one to pursue. That's what caused the class action suit against Ford with regard to the EcoBoost condensation problem. According to this web site:
Consumers who own or lease vehicles equipped with Ford’s EcoBoost engine have reported hundreds of reliability and safety issues. Many such complaints relate to the EcoBoost engine suddenly and unexpectedly shuddering, shaking violently, stumbling, misfiring, rapidly losing power, or going into limp mode while a driver is operating the vehicle. Some consumers report sudden shutdown of their EcoBoost vehicle or total loss of power. This often happens when vehicles are operating at highway speeds or are otherwise accelerating and is often accompanied by loss of control of the vehicle, loss of power steering, loss of airbag functionality, and loss of use of locks and windows. This creates a dangerous condition for the driver, their family and other passengers, and other drivers on the road.

Despite the dangerous vehicles often being under warranty when the defect manifests, consumers have reported that Ford refuses to repair the EcoBoost engine and make these vehicles safe to operate. Often, when consumers who suffer from these dangerous conditions take their vehicles to Ford-authorized dealerships, the dealerships tell the consumers that they cannot re-create the problem and thus cannot repair the EcoBoost engines.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Robskater
Freshman User
I will be sure to post what happens with my truck. I am hoping they can fix it properly and we can move on from here. I am hoping Ford does the right thing and either fixes it or replaces it or refunds it. I have 3 Fords in my driveway and this NEW ONE is the most problematic.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:59 PM
F150'94
Senior User
Originally Posted by Robskater
I called Ford Service. .....

Where is the Ford Service Rep, Crystal I think, frequently seen on the forum in response to this? She seemed to help get results in other problem threads.

Thinking about it, I don't know if I have seen her on any of the 2015+ threads???

Old 11-13-2015, 02:28 PM
Robskater
Freshman User
I called the number on her response, she was not the one I talked to but I am glad they actually monitor the threads and care enough to post. I have been researching FORD responses to problems and I am now really concerned that this may not be treated well by the MEGA HUGE company that sells so many cars things like this may get the "oh well" treatment. I had my conversation this morning, the supervisor got online. He actually called my service manager about me before I got there so I am very happy with the response so far. My hopes are high that I will be treated well with regards to this. I am in a rental for free already. I just hope the FIND a real problem and replace it. Then I am a happy Ford F150 owner again. 27 years since I bought a NEW car for ME. I have always bought a 3-5 year old car. I hope I don't end up regretting this purchase. If so it will be my last.....

Old 11-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No disrespect here Robskater, but when the dealership told you they were pulling the Smart Sense Converter out of a new truck from dealer inventory, what did you think was going to happen? If that part has that high of a failure rate to where every single truck out there with that same part is a problem waiting to happen, then of course your truck is going to have the same problem again. Chances are, like you said, there is a root problem that is causing this component to fail at such a high rate. Ford needs time to find that root issue before they can address it and then issue either a TSB or more preferably a recall. Continuing to throw the same part at the truck is only covering up the symptoms. There is a bigger problem here that needs to be uncovered. They might as well do it now since you're in a free rental. I know you want your truck back, and I don't blame you. But do you want it back knowing all they did was throw a Band-Aid on it to cover up the real issue? Or would you rather give them the time they need to find the real solution to your problem?
I am not trying to defend Ford Motor Co. or your dealership, I am only trying to look at the bigger picture. Good luck and I hope for your sake they are able to uncover that root problem and address it before you or anyone else gets injured because of this. And if this problem is causing these trucks to die in the middle of freeway traffic, then I would think that justifies a recall.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Robskater
Freshman User
I agree with you. I found out that they called FORD from the dealership for help and the Smart Data Link was replaced. I filed it today with the NHTSA. Sadly I am the only one who has done so but maybe others will. Not everyone searches these forums and online for answers. I really like my truck. 27 years since I bought new for me. This by far has more repair time at 16 days and counting than all my other cars have put together. It is a real bummer and a real disappointment that this is happening to me and evidently the originator of this post. I just wonder how many more are out there. On the NHTSA website the biggest problem I found was the heated seats that are BURNING people and the adaptive cruise control braking without warning next to big trucks. It makes for a good read.

Quick Reply: Potential serious issue with my 2.7EB