6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

I'm not off to a good start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 03:46 PM
The6.0MAN
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not off to a good start!

Its been a few years since i have been on here. My 04 6.0 was about the death of me. In 06 i bought a Dodge ram 3500 QC SRW. Just sold it last week w 417k miles on it. I decided to go back with a new Ford and purchased a 2015 F-250 crew cab FX4 Lariat on Friday 08/14. Drove it home and did some light driving over the weekend. This Monday morning leaving for work i noticed several drops and one big puddle of oil in the driveway. Looked under truck and found oil all over the bottom of the engine and front axle. Took it back to dealership that morning. As of today its still in the shop. Front engine cover gasket leaking and engine cover under magnaflux to check for any cracks. Service advisor telling me gasket not seated properly when built. Arghhh,, not mad just very dissapointed.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:04 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, good that you're not mad, you've been bitten by a very random and rare bug. I wouldn't think there would be anything else to worry about once they get it fixed and cleaned up. Just make sure they clean it to your satisfaction and that the oil leak is properly documented for future reference. If there is an issue 3 years from now you've got to make sure the record indicates the history accurately.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:00 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Yes these front cover oil leaks are very uncommon... but oil leaks on the newer cummins front cover is very common.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:38 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The6.0MAN
...This Monday morning leaving for work i noticed several drops and one big puddle of oil in the driveway. Looked under truck and found oil all over the bottom of the engine and front axle. Took it back to dealership that morning. As of today its still in the shop...
Congrats on the new truck, The6.0MAN; I'm sure you're in great hands at your dealership. I'll loop in your regional customer service manager so they can ensure everything goes smoothly. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Leave the rest to me.

Crystal

Old 08-20-2015, 09:27 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
My 04 6.0 was about the death of me. In 06 i bought a Dodge ram 3500 QC SRW. Just sold it last week w 417k miles on it. I decided to go back with a new Ford
After several poor experiences with Government Motors products, I've been very happy with my Fords. Doubt I ever buy another GM product again.

Why would you go back to Ford after a prior poor experience and such a wonderful Dodge/Ram experience?

Glad to have you back though.

bruce...

Old 08-20-2015, 11:09 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Question

What made you come back to ford? 400K+ out of a truck is really good. That does sound like a sales story for Dodge.

My engine has been great no problems. My problems have not been major.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:16 PM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Originally Posted by donovan
What made you come back to ford? 400K+ out of a truck is really good. That does sound like a sales story for Dodge.

My engine has been great no problems. My problems have not been major.
No kidding, but '06 was the last year before Dodge got the DFP. Definitely the end of an Era for sure.

I think that your new Ford will serve you well once this one bug is straightened out.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:48 PM
The6.0MAN
Junior User
Thank you for the welcome back. My 04 6.0 was in the shop so many times i lost count. Previously I owned a 1993 6.9, a 1997 7.3, 2000 7.3, and then the 2004 6.0. All of my Fords were great high mileage trucks except the 2004 model. I purchased the Dodge new in 2006 after the nightmares with the 2004 6.0. The dodge was a great truck and the first Dodge product I have ever owned. It was the last of the 5.9 non emission engine. I spent the first week of this month actively looking for a new truck. I did not care for the GM Duramax, and the Dodge's 68rfe did not impress me one bit. i still like the Cummins engine and the rest of the truck was good. I decided to go back with a Ford this time because of the fit and overall finish of the truck itself. I liked the ride handling, interior, and transmission over the Dodge this time.. So far this is my first week of owning the truck and I have not driven it. I feel like I am having a bad nightmare again from 2004. Service guy called and said it may have another leek. GEEZ. They put die in the engine and are going to let it run for an Hour to see where else. Now im MAD!!

Old 08-20-2015, 02:21 PM
The6.0MAN
Junior User
Crystal PM sent. Thank you.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:10 AM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I'm hoping the truck will be fixed properly.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:24 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crystal PM sent. Thank you.
Thanks for reaching out, The6.0MAN! I got your message and sent you a reply.

Crystal

Old 08-21-2015, 09:56 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
It's really good and worth mentioning to see you step up as much as you Crystal. That type of service would make me consider a new 6.7....unfortunately, the record of problems that seem to be plaguing the 6.7 steer me away. It seems all the modern diesels have been having issues since emissions though. It's too bad.

6.0, I really hope it goes better for you. I am guessing you might be missing the non-emission Dodge just a little bit. Our ranch truck is a 6.7. When I drive it, I always consider getting rid of my old OBS and going new, but then I just don't want the headache. Our has been in the shop quite a few times and caused lost revenue due to being down. Frustrating at best...

Old 08-21-2015, 10:38 AM
The6.0MAN
Junior User
Crystal

Crysral. Reply sent PM to you.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:48 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
It's really good and worth mentioning to see you step up as much as you Crystal. That type of service would make me consider a new 6.7....unfortunately, the record of problems that seem to be plaguing the 6.7 steer me away. It seems all the modern diesels have been having issues since emissions though. It's too bad.

6.0, I really hope it goes better for you. I am guessing you might be missing the non-emission Dodge just a little bit. Our ranch truck is a 6.7. When I drive it, I always consider getting rid of my old OBS and going new, but then I just don't want the headache. Our has been in the shop quite a few times and caused lost revenue due to being down. Frustrating at best...
Problems? I guess my view of "problems" is jaded because of the 6.0/6.4 forum. These engines have been really good.

OP, hope you get your truck fixed up. Sucks to have problems that early. See you are from Dallas. Which dealer has it? Hardy?

Old 08-21-2015, 01:16 PM
The6.0MAN
Junior User
Thanks for all the replies from the members. UGA33 actually I live in Gainesville on Lake Lanier now. I need to update my profile as it has been a while since active on this forum. I bought the truck from Billy Howell ford in Cumming. As of an update right now: Front engine cover has a crack and is leaking oil under load, not under idle. Service rep says part ordered today and may have truck back late Tuesday of next week which means Thursday earliest. I got a call from Bill Howell himself and they don't have any loaner trucks available so he is letting me borrow his personal truck. I will say that their customer service thus far has been excellent. Lots of apologies, but this will go into a second week w/o my brand new truck. He has a driver bringing it to my shop as i wright this. It will at least get me out of the Tahoe they got me from Enterprise rental car. Lets not mention the amount of money I have lost just this week while not being able to bill out the use of the new truck!

Quick Reply: I'm not off to a good start!