Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

99 X Sprt - Rear Wiper Motor, Paint Chip Touch-Up, Emrg. Brake & Air Bag Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 12:15 PM
ApontePR
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. I'm new to this board but I was wondering if hopefully your knowledge could help me out with a couple issues as I've noticed you've all been very helpful in many others.

Rear Windshield Wiper Motor

1) My rear windshield wiper motor has been working/not working for about a year now, and now it's pretty much not working. I took it over to a dealership and they quoted me about $350 to replace what they said was a problem with the motor in the back. I wanted to know if anyone had any knowledge on the problem, and if it can be fixed without going to a dealer, how would I go about doing that? Where would I be able to get the necessary part? How should I go about doing it? Or should I bite the bullet and pay for the repair from the dealer? Please keep in mind that I'm not experienced with car repair and do not have proper tools if required, but am an extremely quick learner.

Paint Chips & Scratch Touch-Ups

2) Over the years, it seems as though bird droppings and the like affect the hood and roof of my car terribly. Even after me cleaning it the day I see it, it still eats through the paint. Are there any proposed solutions out there that people have found that worked? I'm going to buy some touch up paint, but I would like to hear what recommendations people have. I have a Black Explorer.

Emergency Brake and Air Bag Indicator Light on Dash

3) My emergency brake indicator light on my dashboard seems to light up when I have a short stop. Do you think the sensor needs to be tweeked, fixed, replaced? Also, my Air Bag Indicator Light is on sometimes when I turn on the car and am driving indicating there is a problem with the Air Bag, and sometimes doesn't come on at all. Is this an issue I should check for the sensor at?

I know it's a little long, but thanks to those that offer input!

Old 08-06-2003, 10:50 PM
oshoguno
Senior User

Hi, welcome to the board. I won't be as much help as others here, but here goes.

1 - I have heard of the rear wiper motor having a bad wiring connection (ground I think). That is probably the problem. Getting a motor from the wreckers would be a good solution. You can buy a repair manual from any auto parts place that will give you specific directions on how to do most repairs to your vehicle. If you don't feel handy enough bring it to a regular garage and ask them to put a used motor on. Much cheaper than paying dealer pricing.

2 - Sorry, can't help you with the paint.

3- The air bag light flashing will tell you a code if you count the pulses when you start up. Count the first set, there will be an extended pause, then count the second set. There will be another pause and the light will flash the code two more times. The only codes I know are 36 and 37. They indicate sensors under the drivers and passengers seats respectively. Usually the wiring gets kicked by people (kids) in the back seat and a wire gets broken. As for the emergency light I would take the truck in to a local mechanic and check the adjustment of the rear brakes. That is just a thought off the top of my head, and again, someone else might be more athoratative than me on the subject.

Good luck.

Old 08-08-2003, 11:38 PM
96explorereddieb
Senior User

For the paint, how deep is the damage?? If it's not too deep, get a clay bar and rub it all over the paint. That will take away all the oxidations, or the "dirt", on the paint. Then that way, you'll know how bad the damage is.

Then go to Pepboys and get a bottle of 3M's Swirl Mark Remover or Maguair's Swirl Mark Remover and follow the instructions as to how to take it out.

If you still see the damage, try something more aggressive such as 3M's Rubbing Compound. You can get it at Wal-Mart for like $6. Be very careful using it because it acts as a 1500 grit sandpaper so take your time or you will damage the paint even further.

If that helps, follow up with some Swirl Mark Remover then coat a few coats of good quality wax.

In the future, if you see bird droppings, road tar, and tree saps, try to clean up the mess immediately or pitting will occur. I hope this helps.

Old 08-09-2003, 02:27 PM
stu4now
Senior User

I have had the same problem in the past with the paint.......The water here is so hard if ya don't dry it off immd. it will leave a mark..........If ya go the rubbing compound route make sure you get the right stuff........they make it for clearcoat paint which you prolly have.......also do the whole hood not just the problem area or it will stick out like a sore thumb on Black.

Old 08-10-2003, 12:59 AM
96explorereddieb
Senior User

Well, there's no need to intentionally damage the paint by putting rubbing compound all over it. As I stated before, rubbing compound act as a 1500 grit sandpaper. It's pretty aggressive. You may want to do the damaged area with rubbing compound, then do the hood, including the damaged area with swirl mark remover then top it off with a coat of wax. That way, it'll look and feel great!

Old 08-10-2003, 07:40 AM
stu4now
Senior User

nothing beats a good paste wax and a lot of elbow grease......:-)

Old 08-11-2003, 08:48 PM
jkdheart
New User

A couple of times my rear wiper has not worked. This might help you to get it running. Turn the rear wiper switch to the high position and go back to the wiper and see if you put a bit of upward pressure on it if it starts to move. I was able to do this with mine and that sure beats a $350.00 repair bill. Good luck and I hope this works for you