Sponsored by:

Ball mount stuck to receiver

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 12:34 AM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my truck has the factory tow hitch and goodies that go with it, and when i bought it never checked the ball and mount since i had no need for it. Once i bought my TT i looked at it and luckily had the right size ball for the trailer. But it was all rusted and ugly looking. When i went to go take it out and replace with some ball mounts i have laying around that look better i found that its it stuck beyond all means. Long story short used a huge sledge hammer an bp blaster, wd40, and what ever else i could find and no go, still stuck. It maybe moved 1mm or so. I realy dont want to take off and re install the hitch. Iv done some aftermarket hitches on these and they are not fun especially on your own.

Whats your thoughts on taking a torch and gradually heating up the metal around the ball mount and receive to hopefully knock out the ball mount from it. I know that it sounds scary since heating up metal like that will weaken it but what if i take it really slow, or after this is out weld some bracing in the corners of the reciever kneck to the hitches body, if that makes any sense. I dont necesarrily need this out right now but once i do my lift i will need to add a longer drop for the ball mount and need this one out, i also dont like leaving my mounts in the hitch when not using anyways.

I need some ideas. im going to try and get this done thursday if i have some time to get to the shop. If not, then it will be next weekend for sure.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:55 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
If it was mine I would find a big tree and wrap my tow strap around it and give it a tug.

In case you are not familiar with proper tow strap protocols, do not ever use one with metal hooks on the ends, tow straps stretch and the hook can sling shot back and kill you dead. That said, leave about a foot of slack in the strap and drive off giving a firm but not aggressive tug. No need to peel out ! You are using the inertia of a 9000 pound hammer. Rinse and repeat as ness astray, eventually something will come off your Ex, hopefully the parts you want.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:55 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would recommend the way my buddy with a Jeep with the same problem removing his. Find something that isn't going to move (like a big tree) and chain the receiver plug/Hitch to it and with the pin removed (obviously) give it a good tug with the truck. Once it's out clean the receiver opening thoroughly before attempting to put another plug/hitch back in. Painting the inside of the receiver and or using never seize will help in the long run.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:58 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
ATF and Acetone mixture may help, proven to be better then PB and especially WD40.

If your Excursion has the 10k/5k rating it may be time to upgrade the hardware size as well. 2002+ used larger bolts increasing the rating from 10k/5k to 12.5k/6k.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-hardware.html

Old 08-19-2015, 01:05 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
If it was mine I would find a big tree and wrap my tow strap around it and give it a tug.

In case you are not familiar with proper tow strap protocols, do not ever use one with metal hooks on the ends, tow straps stretch and the hook can sling shot back and kill you dead. That said, leave about a foot of slack in the strap and drive off giving a firm but not aggressive tug. No need to peel out ! You are using the inertia of a 9000 pound hammer. Rinse and repeat as ness astray, eventually something will come off your Ex, hopefully the parts you want.
Good advice on the tow straps hooks! Had my only dent in my 94 from one in the tailgate... Ripped completely through a Buick's frame and BAM!!!!

Old 08-19-2015, 01:16 AM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
Is that upgrade a safety or faulty type thing where I have to do it or just an upgrade if you want the extra weight. My TT when loaded down is about 4k so for that i think im good but even for work idt i will ever really need to go beyond the weight rating as is. That is good info and will for sure keep that in mind for the future. Ill for sure try the ATF and acetone mixture tho when i work on this. Thanks Bently

As for the tug o war thing, it never really passed my mind but I have done that for straitening a bumper before. Worked out pretty good, at least for what the guy was wanting. But ill stray away from that for now and let that be last resort. Iv seen first hand of that situation not going as planned and no matter how many steps you take there is always a high risk for soemthing going wrong.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:29 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
The bolts are a model year upgrade. If you were to replace I would look for the 02+ with the 12k rating but definitely not necessary.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:48 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would heat the ball mount shank. hooking anything to a stationary object with a strap or chain is just asking for bad things to happen! heat it up and hit it with a small sledge hammer and it should come out.

With that said, how rusty is the hitch? mine was pretty rusty to the point I installed a new Curt hitch.

This is just another of the many reasons people shouldn`t leave a ball mount in the hitch all the time!

Old 08-19-2015, 06:59 AM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly

I had one stuck similar to this that was there when I bought the truck. A few minutes with a sawzall (or how ever it's spelled) and it was gone.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:02 AM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
I had one stuck similar to this that was there when I bought the truck. A few minutes with a sawzall (or how ever it's spelled) and it was gone.
idk about cutting it off might compound my problem. The more and more i think about it, i will most likely be taking the bumper off and removeing the hitch to get it out and knock it out from the back side.

but first im for sure trying the ATF and acetone thing and then heating up the ball mount. And does it have to be acetone or will mineral sprits work. Not too sure what the diference is in the two other than acetone smells way worse.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:45 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Mineral Spirits may work after quick google search.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:47 AM
Gene Horr
Senior User
Penetrating oil, let it soak for a while, add some more, let it soak then start tapping all around with a hammer while wiggling the hitch. No need for huge whacks. If that doesn't work then I would try the torch. But clean the oil out as much as possible first and have a fire extinguisher on hand in case the oil ignites.

I do not advice the tree method. You are stopping all of the weight of the vehicle with a single point and even at 5mph it is enough to do some damage if the hitch does not come out. Especially to you if you are not wearing a seatbelt.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:01 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
LOL @ 5 mph

Perhaps you missed the part about 1 foot of slack and not peeling out.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:14 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Do not tug on it at all. It's very easy to bend a frame or do other serious damage, not to mention if it does come loose even at low speed with a strap it's going to become a missile.

If you try to use a torch, heat the ball mount itself and not the hitch. Heating the hitch will weaken it. I know that it sounds counter intuitive but heating and cooling will loosen it up. After heating, apply a penetrant. Pb blaster works ok and the aerosol helps it creep places atf won't.

Then the correct way to get it out is to tension it up at a straight angle against a tree, or using a winch or come along, and then use a sledge hammer to hit the ball mount back and forth in the hitch. Start easy and gradually use more force. Sledge hammers apply tons of pressure and they can actually bend your hitch. So take it easy. If you are working up to pretty serious blows and it's not coming out, try another round of heating and penetrant (take tension off the hitch) and then try again. If it won't come out at all, it may have rusted in so bad that it's effectively a permanent part of the hitch, but since you said it moved an inch already, I'm pretty confident you'll get it out.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:59 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
i see your point, soaking your vehicle in flammable liquid and then lighting it on fire sounds like a much safer method.

Quick Reply: Ball mount stuck to receiver