Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Catastrophic engine failure in western TN

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang Jason that's a bummer! Glad yer home safe and sound! Bet those Georgia hills looked better than sittin under a bridge ! Now let the work begin!

Smokie

Old 08-19-2015, 10:04 AM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Jason. Was looking forward to meeting you at the Colorado get together. Glad it all worked out on getting home. Let me know when you're coming back Basalt way so we can hook up. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2015, 10:05 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Sorry to hear...

Just saw your post

Sorry to hear about your troubles, glad you got a ride home!

I happen to have a 12k trailer sitting in my driveway. When I first started reading your post, I quickly looked to see where you were. Way the heck down there!

Anyways, good luck getting rest and figuring out what to do for a replacement.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:46 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Thanks guys. As soon as I broke down, Cory (ziggy) responded he was 4-5 hours out if I needed it. I got lots of phone calls and texts from the brotherhood to offer remote help and moral support. This community humbles me to the core...

Old 08-19-2015, 06:21 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
...have a good engine sitting on the bed...
When I looked at the picture, I thought I saw an engine on the bed.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:20 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Was That your Oil Pan? or something up top-side? I don't remember you painting the Pan Blue

Old 08-20-2015, 12:25 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Sorry to see this Jason, glad your home.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:30 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by coax9952
Was That your Oil Pan? or something up top-side? I don't remember you painting the Pan Blue
This is that engine before I put it in my truck (back in 2010?)

Then I pulled it out of the truck and dropped it in my Excursion with a T4 kit and S366. It got about 30k miles on it in the X before it got totaled and I swapped it back into the dually for the last 40k miles or so.

It hasn't run that great for some time now. Power was down and it hasn't made more than 25psi of boost forever. It idled fine and had adequate power, but just flat lined after about 2k RPM's. I was blaming the injectors and figured after 120k miles of veggie oil - I had gotten some 'bad' fuel from someone on the road somewhere along the way. Well, I swapped in a fresh set of 175/146's last week and there was no change in power at all....

A forensic investigation is in order, but I dunno when I'll be able to do it. I was planning to do a couple of veggie system installs after Riffraff in the Rockies and that was my income source for Aug/Sept bills. My TDi wagon needs a water pump, timing belt and a power steering rack - so its basically out of commission and I took the exhaust manifold off my little Daihatsu Rocky to fix the broken one on my Mom's Rocky, so its not working. My old 4Runner has been relegated to trail rig duties and isn't really highway worthy. I started finishing one of the rooms adjacent to my garage (insulation, sheetrock, etc) and all of the stuff from that space is in the space my truck needs to be in to swap engines.................

Old 08-20-2015, 11:41 AM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
find a nice rocky spot outside and do it there,rocks will inspire you to unhook and re hook things like tranny and starter faster,and a few sheets of ply wood for the hoist and you are all set,you could break your own record for pulling it

Old 08-20-2015, 12:11 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jgilrfr
find a nice rocky spot outside and do it there,rocks will inspire you to unhook and re hook things like tranny and starter faster,and a few sheets of ply wood for the hoist and you are all set,you could break your own record for pulling it
Lol. My friend in Memphis was kinda hurt I didn't want to come use his shop to do the swap. It's painful for me to do any work outside my own shop - but a BIG job like a full engine swap would be too much. I would end up making compromises I will not have to make here.

I just need a couple days of focused attention and my shop will be 100% again and I'll yank that sucker out in even less than the 2hr record!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX5y...ature=youtu.be

All the stuff on the left side of the shop in the video and the stuff behind the camera (the reason the truck is just nosed in...) is from the other room(s). It's all of the junk I have for doing veggie conversions (plumbing, wiring, etc), spare parts for my fleet and lots of PSD crap, all of my camping gear and boat stuff (PFD's, Sky Ski, skis, wakeboards, kneeboards, etc).

Ok, I better get to work again. I decided to make the rustbucket '02 TDi jetta I brought home as a project car run. It's the closest thing to running/driving in my fleet of junk. Maybe just a bad sensor...

Old 08-20-2015, 12:21 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
jason, sorry to see/read/hear about the bad news. i like you're quick reference to a 'mugly' repair though! those are the most inspirational maintenance stories for sure.
keep us posted on your efforts.
best wishes from across the miles.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:33 PM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Wow Jason sorry to hear that, but its a best worst case scenario. You blew the motor but at least you have another to swap in and you keep all those upgrades! I'm sure when the Ex got totaled it messed something up. Possibly valves leaking losing the boost or something, I'm sure it wasn't really the veggie oil that did her in.

But hey at least you'll have an even better engine now!

Old 08-23-2015, 11:48 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Bummer Jason. I know those road trip breakdowns all too well. Rod through the pan? We used to blame that on tuning... Any idea what happened?

Old 08-24-2015, 07:29 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by duck fan
Bummer Jason. I know those road trip breakdowns all too well. Rod through the pan? We used to blame that on tuning... Any idea what happened?
I had those toons in this engine for awhile!! Lol.

No idea about cause of failure yet. Power and boost have been down for awhile. I suppose something could have happened in the Excursion crash. It was on it's side for 4hr and the engine did hydro lock with oil...

Old 08-24-2015, 10:11 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Tennessee hasn't had a good good track record lately. I went camping down in mammoth cave about 3 weeks ago with my wife daughter and niece. As soon as I pulled into cave city I filled up, then the truck wouldn't start!!!!!! You wouldn't believe the **** that that fuel stop had in the tank!! Filled my water separator took out a sensor and possibly killed at least one injector.... Instantly
Glad you got her home. What's Cory been up too? He's never on here.
1.5 hours is what you should shoot for, takes me that long to change a hub on the old F250 and I thought that was fast lol

Quick Reply: Catastrophic engine failure in western TN