Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

6.4 to 7.3 idi swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 06:19 AM
farmnfly
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
6.4 to 7.3 idi swap

I just picked a 09 F250 4X4 that came without engine or transmission. I am going to install a 7.3 idi with a Banks Sidewinder. Reason for this is I just want a dependable every day driver. In Western New York, medium/heavy diesel pickups are not emission check for NYS inspection.
Just wondering if anyone here has done this yet!

Old 08-18-2015, 10:02 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cannot imagine anyone has done this. It's not feasible and I just personally wouldn't want to wreck the truck.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:45 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by dlibson
I cannot imagine anyone has done this. It's not feasible and I just personally wouldn't want to wreck the truck.
How would it wreck the truck? It already has no drivetrain.

Why would you not want to put a 6.4 back in it? Oh wait, it's the 6.4...I get it. Just kidding though I am sure I'll get flamed again for even hinting it is less than superior.

Back on track...the only swap I have seen in the newer body style Ford is a straight 6 diesel engine that was made by Perkins or Detroit. I can't remember, but the guy did it and the truck in pretty much indestructible. It's a D60 model. If you have no emissions worries, than I say go for it. Anything can be done. Modern diesels these days are finicky at best. Sometimes they are the best thing ever and then sometimes they are a gigantic headache. There is no real consistent track record yet though I am sure a 6.7 owner will vehemently disagree here shortly.

I think this is the thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...0-project.html

let us know what you do! Innovation is cool. Anyone can go finance a $70k truck and take it to the dealer for issues and scheduled maintenance, but it takes know-how, ingenuity, and dedication to have an older diesel that can run.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:17 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Subscribing. This sounds like it could be a cool project!

Old 08-18-2015, 01:58 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BBslider001
How would it wreck the truck? It already has no drivetrain.

Why would you not want to put a 6.4 back in it? Oh wait, it's the 6.4...I get it. Just kidding though I am sure I'll get flamed again for even hinting it is less than superior.

Back on track...the only swap I have seen in the newer body style Ford is a straight 6 diesel engine that was made by Perkins or Detroit. I can't remember, but the guy did it and the truck in pretty much indestructible. It's a D60 model. If you have no emissions worries, than I say go for it. Anything can be done. Modern diesels these days are finicky at best. Sometimes they are the best thing ever and then sometimes they are a gigantic headache. There is no real consistent track record yet though I am sure a 6.7 owner will vehemently disagree here shortly.

I think this is the thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...0-project.html

let us know what you do! Innovation is cool. Anyone can go finance a $70k truck and take it to the dealer for issues and scheduled maintenance, but it takes know-how, ingenuity, and dedication to have an older diesel that can run.
It's not that it had or didn't have the original drive line. But that the newer stuff is far superior. Eliminate the emissions system on a 6.4, and there's nothing like it.

My point is that no one here has removed a 6.4 and done this. There are a few Cummins out there I've seen on other sites. There isn't a ton of 6.4 action on this site. Some of the other ones would be better for this.

Doing this swap would be a neat change sure, but a 6.4 with no emissions would be just as reliable with twice the power and everything on the truck would work as designed.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:42 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
190 horsepower in an 8,000 lb truck definitely doesn't sound like a winning combination. Might be a good daily driver if you don't plan on exceeding 35 MPH.

Very interested in seeing where this goes. Be sure to post pics of your progress!

Old 08-21-2015, 06:24 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
190 horsepower in an 8,000 lb truck definitely doesn't sound like a winning combination. Might be a good daily driver if you don't plan on exceeding 35 MPH.

Very interested in seeing where this goes. Be sure to post pics of your progress!
Another thing to ponder regarding reliability is parts. For an engine 10+years out of production you're going to start facing the only aftermarket parts and declining quality issue. Add to that if you don't start with a completely rebuilt engine and transmission you're already on the way to parts replacement in a relatively short time period.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:39 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Is this a joke?

I know it's your stuff and $$$ and you can do whatever you want. But why not a 12V Cummins? It would be more reliable, easier to do, parts would be readily available for the swap (adapters, etc) and price would be cheaper I imagine. Also the ability to cheaply turn the power up on the 12V would be a plus once you get tired of the IDI barely getting out of its way with that heavy of a truck.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:54 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wp6529
Another thing to ponder regarding reliability is parts. For an engine 10+years out of production you're going to start facing the only aftermarket parts and declining quality issue. Add to that if you don't start with a completely rebuilt engine and transmission you're already on the way to parts replacement in a relatively short time period.
Try 20 years out of production.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:07 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Can't help but wonder which direction this project went...

Old 02-28-2016, 06:14 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would rather not find out.

There is enough stupidity involving 6.4s these days that ideas like this just add to the google clutter of "6.4s are trash"...

Old 02-29-2016, 09:10 AM
farmnfly
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
An update on the swap, but first I need to rant!!! To all the naysayers!! First off if I had $75.000 do you think I'd be f#?*king around with this junk, MAYBEE! You should pit in a 6.4 or a Cummins, love to, just don't have any. It will be a dinosaur, yea I did just take my 1978 240D off the road.
What I do have is 7.3's a ***** load of them, I acquired them thinking I would be needing parts to keep my first 6.9 going. Guess what I'm still waiting for my first failure

Spare 7.3 and 6.9 engines

7.3 bone yard

1990 7.3 with about 2 tons of wood

My first diesel 1983 6.9 still pushes snow like no tommarrow

I dont care how much you spend on your fancy new plow, These toggle switches on the shifter are far better than any fancy push button pad

12 volt control valves that run the plow

Also I'm sort of a redneck I guess, I taught or will teach all my kids to drive a standard shift, learning on the DINOSAUR "three on the tree" F-100

Standard shift F100 Turbo Diesel van beside it

Three on the tree Ford, how many people can say they have driven one?

Back to the 7.3 engine installation. Now you can see why I went with the 7.3. The engine I used came out of my 1991 daily driver with over 200,000 miles on it. the truck had plenty of rust and leaked enough oil that it was time. I put in a re-ring $350 (engine was in better condition than I would have ever imagined) I rebuilt the injectors $32 (I finally was able to get the nozzles from alibaba, China sorry, at $4 bucks each, I ordered a bunch) rebuilt Injection pump $375, new 7.3 radiator $180 (the 6.4 that fits the truck was like $700) Conversion U-joints to get things to mach up $65 and a turbo "Y" pipe from Banks $450 ouch! I hope to be into this truck for a total of $6000. about a thousand dollars less than a 6.4 short block.

7.3 motor mounts from donor

What i started with

7.3 C6 transfer case and Gearvendor overdrive hanging from hoist

I went with Vee belts, I must be the only person to change a serpentine belt on the side of the road in, church clothes, screw those tensioners!

For the naysayers obout horse power, I have room to put a 2.5 gasser in here!

The Gearvendor will make up for a lack of overdrive in the C6

Sorry, I like the way it looks, Banks Sidewinder

Old 02-29-2016, 09:18 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, I have driven Ford pickup trucks with the 3 on the tree. I've seen cars with that set up do, but never drove one.

You sir ARE a REDNECK, and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible! I applaud you in your endeavor to get that IDI in that truck, and get it running. I assume you'll mate a 5 speed behind it. You use what you have available to make things work. Nothing wrong with that. Please keep us updated with your progress. Thanks.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:33 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Farm the comment I made wasn't actually directed at you, it is toward the typical crowed of people who bash 6.4s without any real knowledge about them.

I am all about these swaps as something kinda cool or interesting... The vast majority of people who attempt them have no idea what they are actually getting in to. That's why we see so many fummins swaps that people dump 15+ grand into and never get them running properly. And at that point you are better off just building a 6.4 and dropping it in...

But I do think your project is interesting and in no way meant to bash you... Hopefully the build thread doesn't get too derailed anymore and we can stick to your project.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:02 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
WOW! Looks good to see it coming together. You'll probably be updating on this when you get to it, but how do you plan to have functional gauges? Maybe you can splice wiring until the can bus communication system from the 7.3L IDI will communicate correctly with the Super Duty instrument cluster module?

Quick Reply: 6.4 to 7.3 idi swap