1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Transmission Selection ... overdrive, manual shift, bench seat

Old 08-16-2015, 07:10 AM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Selection ... overdrive, manual shift, bench seat

Hi all. I'm having second thoughts...
Current Plan: Replace failing 292/T98/Dana44 (4.27 ratio) with 302/AOD/Dana44 (keep orig).

That new drive train would really solve most of my goals, but I've come to realize that the manual shift is a little part of what I enjoy about driving the truck.

I've asked a few guys that don't know our trucks as well as this forum, and haven't come up with any manual shift options that meet my criteria. Thought I'd see if the experts here know of an option...

This would be my ideal transmission:
- Relatively easy adaptation to truck (including use of original speedo)
- High enough top gear to hit 70 mph at something around 2,500 rpm (as an AOD would for my tire diameter)
- Floor stick placement that would still let my wife sit next to me on the bench (whole point of leaving the bench )
- Doesn't break the budget too badly

I've included a pic below of the current T-98 placement

Current T98 Shifter position

Old 08-16-2015, 08:31 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are old and your knees and back are shot like mine go with an automatic !
Have fun

Old 08-16-2015, 08:44 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Is the Ford T5 available with the mid mount shifter like the S10, which is a popular swap? Maybe the S10 tail and ford case?

Old 08-16-2015, 09:01 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
You can make a T5 with a Mustang gearset in an S-10 case/tailhousing, or put an S-10 tailhousing on a Mustang trans.

Before you replace your rear axle, check your overall gearing with an OD trans. Many times, the stock gear ratio is fine with the new trans. With a 4.27 axle, an S-10 gearset with 4.03 1st will mean 1st gear is for parades and stump-pulling.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:37 AM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
I heard about s10 options, but the same guy told me the s10 tail section might not be strong enough. Maybe he's used to hot rod > 400 hp applications. I expect to be considerably under that.

How sturdy are the s10 cases and tail section? Tough to bolt tail section to ford case or s10 case to ford small block? I will try searching the forum too

I am planing to keep using the Dana, if I can, though I don't know how much parading or stump pulling I'll do.

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2015, 09:41 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Have you considered finding an original optional three speed overdrive manual transmission and converting to column shift? They are a 30% overdrive and will get you a final drive ratio of 2.99, plenty of gear to go 70 mph. The nice thing is they are a factory option so all the parts bolt in. The not so nice thing is finding all the parts. It is do-able though since the transmission is the same as used in the cars, so they are around.

If you do get rid of the T98 can I have your shifter ****?

Old 08-16-2015, 09:49 AM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
Have you considered finding an original optional three speed overdrive manual transmission and converting to column shift?
I have thought about that. How tough would it be to pair that with a 302 or 351? Is that 3 gears plus overdrive or is 3rd overdrive? Honestly, I've been assuming it would be tough to find, and maybe reinstall the old shifter mechanism, etc... but I may have recently found a source (not sure).

Old 08-16-2015, 09:57 AM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
...If you do get rid of the T98 can I have your shifter ****?
Ouch.. this is going to sound really odd, but I'm attached to that ****. I still remember Dad knocking my knees with that thing when I had to sit behind the shifter. So far, I've had a tough time selling, giving, or trashing anything I've replaced, but I'm running out of space. Better used than shelved..... I'll keep you in mind. This is going to take me a few months

Old 08-16-2015, 10:16 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by johnson.jeff.a
I heard about s10 options, but the same guy told me the s10 tail section might not be strong enough. Maybe he's used to hot rod > 400 hp applications. I expect to be considerably under that.

How sturdy are the s10 cases and tail section? Tough to bolt tail section to ford case or s10 case to ford small block? I will try searching the forum too

I am planing to keep using the Dana, if I can, though I don't know how much parading or stump pulling I'll do.

Thanks!
I don't think he knows his T5's, to be honest. The tailhousing is mostly a cover for 5th gear, a bushing for the driveshaft yoke, and a pad for the rear mount. Virtually identical across all variants of T5's except for shifter location. Certainly capable of handling the power of even a well-built 302.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:36 AM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
Thanks. Not surprised. Just read, in another thread, that fitting the t5 into frame, and setting up the hydrolic clutch, will require considerable fabrication.

I'm not a strong fabricator, and am actually not planning to take the cab off for this swap.

From what I've read, I felt the AOD swap was doable for me.... That other thread has me less certain about the T5. I guess I could try and have it done.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:45 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a t5 with my 5.0. Purchased a universal trans cross member that I had to drill some holes in frame for and it bolted right up. It was not hard to do and I an defiantly not an expert. Lucky to be a trial and error fabricator. Go for it and have fun

Old 08-16-2015, 12:37 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
A guy on facebook is selling a complete stock kit with 3 speed OD, engine and column with shifter linkage......

I am heading the stock 3 speed OD thing, just to keep the column shifter because I am in love with it ;-)

I have even bought a spare 3sp OD trans "just in case"

If you like I can try finding the add again

Old 08-16-2015, 12:55 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jimcar-9
A guy on facebook is selling a complete stock kit with 3 speed OD, engine and column with shifter linkage......

I am heading the stock 3 speed OD thing, just to keep the column shifter because I am in love with it ;-)

I have even bought a spare 3sp OD trans "just in case"

If you like I can try finding the add again
Keep in mind he is going with a 302, so he'd have to find an adapter

Old 08-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Last chance 53
Tuned
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
The ford m5r2 tranny that was in a lot f150's, has a nice floor shift location and is a direct bolt up to a 302. It may need some fab work to fit. I have had a couple the went over 200k with no problems. The 1991 and older trannys have a gear driven speedo.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Flat Ernie
Senior User
The T5 will be bolt-up to the 302 with the correct flywheel and bellhousing.

The Ford T5 uses a cable throwout bearing, but could be adapted to hydraulic if you so wished.

The T5 shifter position is rather rearward for a truck w/bench, but it is certainly do-able with the right bends in the shifter. Alternative, a remote shifter isn't difficult to fabricate (and some are available).

I *think* an early Mustang speedo cable will work - the transmission end works with the T5 and the speedo end is standard sized. I used one in my swap, but it was an aftermarket speedo...

The AOD will be easier from a linkage perspective - you can use the stock 3-spd shifter (that's how mine is set up). But if you like to shift, the T5 is the best answer.

As for putting an S10 tailshaft on a Mustang T5, it can be done. Your speedo becomes the challenge at that point. The drive gear is in a different place on an S10.

As for putting Mustang gears into an S10 case, you can only use early Mustang gears, pre-'85, in the NWC S10 case - those are hard to find. There are other gearsets you can put in there: Astrovan (rare) and early Camaro (better ratios), but you're still stuck with a NWC T5 behind a 302 in a truck...if you drive hard, it won't last.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Selection ... overdrive, manual shift, bench seat