1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding options to a 2016 XLT afterwords?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Shernius
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see a 2016 F250 on the lot with the options I want but two. Can I add the Powerscoping Trailer Tow Mirrors and Fog Lamps afterword's easily? Is the wiring there and all I have to do is change the switches and mirror out and add the Fog Lamps?

Old 08-16-2015, 06:55 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Wiring harness should be there in the door for the mirrors.

Fogs can be added but you will need the wiring harness (should come with it). Not sure where it currently plugs into. Used to be around the drivers side headlight area. there was a pigtail there.

Ask the parts guy where you are buying. He should be able to look up both wiring diagrams for you and print them...if you tell him you want to spend some money with him.

Then shop around for the best price.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:39 AM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Make the dealer add them to the truck before you purchase it. Tell them they must add them at no extra cost or you won't buy it. The margin, & price, on trucks is so high, they might just do it to make the sale.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:44 AM
Hotrod70d
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fog lights plug right in under rad support there is 2 wires in the kit . Fog light install you most likely will need to move the bracket to squeeze the light and light holder in. For the switch pop side cover off beside it unclip wiring harness and pop switch out . About an hr process . Very easy. It's an xlt so you should not need it programed . eBay has the kits for about 150.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:52 AM
Shernius
Tuned
I was just looking up parts on line and haven't seen any harnesses but the Fog Lamps look very doable. The Powerscope Tow mirrors on the other hand are $800-900 each new at Ford and that's just one mirror assembly. Kind of screwed up since its a $165 option.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:56 AM
Shernius
Tuned
Originally Posted by scottscott
Make the dealer add them to the truck before you purchase it. Tell them they must add them at no extra cost or you won't buy it. The margin, & price, on trucks is so high, they might just do it to make the sale.
I'm probably going with the X Plan so there is not much wiggle room.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:43 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't expect them to do it at no charge, after all they are options that you would have had to pay for in the beginning. The mirrors are nice to have, until the little plastic gear goes out after the warranty has also expired. As you pointed out they are expensive to replace.
As for the fog lights there are a number of options out there in the form of LED aftermarket offers that will provide much better light for much less money. If you do go after market LED lights so ahead and order the wiring harness that is available for the LED lights. It's usually inexpensive and quick and easy to install.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Shernius
Tuned
Thanks for the info on that plastic gear in the mirrors. I would probably be using the fold feature almost every day.

I was thinking the after market lights would be an option but I didn't even get looking yet.

Thanks again!

Old 08-16-2015, 09:25 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had my truck for a couple of years now and could count on one hand the number of times I have used the power fold feature. On my 2006 Superduty I had the manual folding mirror which I liked better and folding in more often. I guess because I had no worries about the replacement cost of ownership....LOL

A very popular aftermarket LED light option is the 20" light bar. It mounts almost to a factory look in the lower grille opening on the bumper. IF your truck has the up fitter switch option it makes installation a breeze.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:28 AM
Shernius
Tuned
Yea, I have a parking deck I have to pull into at work and I park in front of the house in the street cause there is not enough room in the driveway for the truck.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by scottscott
The margin, & price, on trucks is so high,
Not really....

The average pre-tax profit margin a dealer makes on a new vehicle these days is 2.2%. In any business, that's a very low margin.

Dealers make more on the back end through finance, if and only if you buy all those products like the extended warranty and paint protection and whatnot.

Parts and service is where more money is made.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Shernius
I see a 2016 F250 on the lot with the options I want but two. Can I add the Powerscoping Trailer Tow Mirrors and Fog Lamps afterword's easily? Is the wiring there and all I have to do is change the switches and mirror out and add the Fog Lamps?
Ford has a fog lamp kit for the XLT to add the factory ones. It's pretty easy and includes all the wiring that just plugs right in as well as the dash switch. Some trucks need IDS to activate it though.

As for the tow mirrors, Ford does not make a "kit" to add power telescoping mirrors to trucks that were not originally equipped. You would have to piece it together, switch and all, and hope for the best. It can get a bit expensive as you're finding out.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:46 AM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Shernius
I'm probably going with the X Plan so there is not much wiggle room.
You don't know until you try. Like they say, it doesn't hurt to ask. You're looking at $1500+ to buy the mirrors separately & get them installed after you buy the truck. Lets say the dealer will put them on for the regular option cost, because you asked them if they could. That is a win for you. Try it.

We buy trucks at work with a plan similar to the X plan. Last one we bought was $1000 cheaper WITHOUT using the special fleet buy plan! Because we went in & made them a crazy low offer & negotiated.

Someone mentioned poor dealers only make 2.2% on a new sale. OK, but the 2.2% cut of a $50,000 truck is a lot bigger than a 2.2% cut on a $20,000 cheapie car. So, there is wiggle room.

One has to be willing to make crazy low offers, not be afraid to bargain hard, & maybe be politely asked to leave, as there is nothing they can do for you. That's fine by me, there are dealerships with packed lots everywhere. I'll make a deal that works for me somewhere. Its not easy, & its not for everyone, but it can work.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Shernius
Tuned
Yea, the X Plan is only going to save me $2644 on the F250, XLT, Crew, 6.2, 4X4

Old 08-16-2015, 10:54 AM
fishbones182
Senior User

I just bought my 2012 xlt with a 6.2 only had 34k on the clock for 18k out the door with warranty till I hit 100k there are great deals out there don't be shy of used if the price is right and is the truck you want.

Quick Reply: Adding options to a 2016 XLT afterwords?