1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Changed the oil in the top of the engine.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:45 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gatordog
Why would you leave dirty oil in your motor that you can easily remove.
Because it doesn't matter to engine longevity if some is left behind.

No engine, gas or diesel, completely drains all the oil oil. Some will always be left behind. It's a small enough percentage of old oil that it doesn't actually affect the longevity of the engine, or degrade the new oil.

Based on that, some people see it as a waste of time, as it's not typically a quick process to suck out the oil from the HPOP. Others see it as piece of mind.

It doesn't hurt anything, but in the end it's not really helping either. If it's worth it to you to change it, then continue doing so if you wish. No harm is being done as long as you're careful not to get any dirt or debris in the reservoir, or poke something through and break the screen at the bottom.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:59 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by carl2591
here is something the oil images does not show.. when the oil enters reservoir does the HPOP pull from the bottom of the reservoir so in effect all the oil is used to provide pressure to the injectors at a higher pressure, or does it draw from somewhere else.

I have not looked inside the reservoir with the components off a truck so not sure how the oil gets into the pump for injectors.
Yes, the HPOP draws oil from the bottom driver's side of the reservoir.

The LPOP continuously supplies the reservoir with oil. Any excess oil drains down the engine front cover through an overflow. The rest is pulled from the bottom of the reservoir to the HPOP (there's a screen down at the bottom), where it is pumped through and sent to either the injectors or past the IPR and dumped back to the motor. The more oil that is diverted to the injectors, the greater the pressure at the head (picked up by the ICP sensor).

Old 08-23-2015, 10:28 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
****** snip******Do the math. *******

If you don't like math,********** snip .

Yes do the math.

7.3 oil capacity total 18 qt
Oil pan/filter 15 qt
Hpop res. 1 qt
Heads/top end 2 qt

If you leave 3 qts of dirty oil in the engine you are diluting the clean oil by 16.67%

If you were to suck 1 additional qt out of the Hpop res then you would reduce the dilution of clean oil to 11.1%

5% performance gains are typically hard to come by and I am sure if it was a 5% gain in Torque everybody would be doing it, but 5% reduction of dirty oil in your fresh oil ? Meh,

Old 08-23-2015, 02:25 PM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
It's not a real common procedure, that Powerstrokehelp guy is one of the few proponents. The HPOP oil circulates; out as it is used to fire the injectors and in from the LPOP as needed to refill the reservoir. I don't bother but hey, that's coming from a guy who barely washes his truck twice a year.

Here's that oil flow diagram.
The picture does not show where the oil goes after the reservoir, I assume it goes through the injectors? Now where on the reservoir is the oil sucked from? If the oil is sucked out of the middle of the reservoir(top to bottom) then its possible that the oil does not all circulate. The old gunked up oil could be sitting on the bottom of the reservoir never moving if its just sucking the new oil out of the reservoir. It seems like this could be possible because people SWEAR that the oil is seperated every second but if you have ever emptied the oil from the reservoir you know how black that stuff is! Even 100 miles after a fresh oil change.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:05 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Nothing to see here . Move along

Old 08-23-2015, 06:20 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarbee95
The picture does not show where the oil goes after the reservoir, I assume it goes through the injectors? Now where on the reservoir is the oil sucked from? If the oil is sucked out of the middle of the reservoir(top to bottom) then its possible that the oil does not all circulate. The old gunked up oil could be sitting on the bottom of the reservoir never moving if its just sucking the new oil out of the reservoir. It seems like this could be possible because people SWEAR that the oil is seperated every second but if you have ever emptied the oil from the reservoir you know how black that stuff is! Even 100 miles after a fresh oil change.
It sounds good on paper, but doesn't necessarily transfer over to reality. Why don't you get a #4 ORB fiting with a hose barb on the end of it. Put a rubber hose on the barb and route it to an empty jar. Then remove the plug on the top of your HPOP reservoir, screw your hosed fitting in, and crank the engine to see how much oil moves through the reservoir at 100 - 200 rpm's.

Crank the starter for 30 seconds and measure the volume of oil. Then multiply that by 10 or 20 to account for driving rpm's and multiply by two to get volume of oil in one minute.

If there's some untouched oil hidden in some corner of the reservoir that doesn't get flushed out in that volume, then you might as well leave it there an never worry about it.

If you're just trying to be **** and change as much oil as possible when you change your oil, why aren't you (or Powerstroke help Bill) pulling the plugs on the oil rails and draining those too?

Old 08-23-2015, 09:19 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes !!! pull the galley plugs in the heads , Pull the block plugs , remove the valve covers and suck all that nasty standing oil out of all the hidden spots . Heck .. the pan needs to be removed also ! It holds a quart or so even when drained ! My gosh ... We need to totally rethink an oil change !

Old 08-23-2015, 10:14 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Now where on the reservoir is the oil sucked from?
Post #32 answers this.

If the oil is sucked out of the middle of the reservoir(top to bottom) then its possible that the oil does not all circulate. The old gunked up oil could be sitting on the bottom of the reservoir never moving if its just sucking the new oil out of the reservoir. It seems like this could be possible because people SWEAR that the oil is seperated every second but if you have ever emptied the oil from the reservoir you know how black that stuff is! Even 100 miles after a fresh oil change.
The same thing comes up over and over again on this forum.

This is what a drained HPOP reservoir looks like after I believe 140K miles if I remember correctly:

Not once was the oil removed out of the HPOP during an oil change. And no it was not cleaned prior to snapping the picture, just left upside down to drain overnight.

If you have any sludge build up in your HPOP reservoir, it's because you have engine problems or extremely poor maintenance. Normal oil changes will not cause sludge build up in the reservoir. The oil simply moves too fast. If there is sludge, the reservoir is the least of your concerns.

Here's some information on how the HPOP works: A stock 17 degree HPOP is a fixed (not variable) displacement pump. It always moves 7.2cc's of oil per revolution (for a normal, healthy HPOP), and it spins at 85% of engine speed. So let's say your truck is idling at the typical 680 RPM's. That means the HPOP is spinning at 578 RPM's. That's 4161cc's of oil pumped every minute the truck is at idle. 4161cc's equates to just slightly over 1 gallon. One gallon of oil pumped through the HPOP system per minute..... at idle. That's a lot of oil.

Just think about the math at higher RPM's.

That's why the oil in the HPOP system cannot be different than the oil in the crankcase. It simply moves too fast, and there's such a high volume of oil flow. So no matter what you think you see, the oil in the reservoir is the same as what is in the pan.

That volume of oil flow (and subsequent pressure) is also why 1) maintenance is important, and 2) it's best not to use additives in oil.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:05 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks Curtis. That's what I had meant by do the math. I was just too lazy to look it all up.

And who decided to let you be a moderator?

Does that mean you're going to disappear like the rest of them have?

Old 08-24-2015, 06:19 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
@F350-6, nice epigram, very clever.....Oil Faithful!

Old 08-24-2015, 06:20 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 08-24-2015, 07:19 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Cash talks!

J/K of course.

I know Jim has a ton on his plate and recently switched jobs so he wouldn't have to work 70+ hours a week.

Scott is still here, albeit not nearly as much as he would like.

I'm here everyday, I just don't post as much as I used to because of all the stuff I have to cover. In fact, that's why Curtis was brought on board, to help mod the '04 - '08 F150 forum.

Stewart

Old 08-25-2015, 06:18 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Thanks Curtis. That's what I had meant by do the math. I was just too lazy to look it all up.

Oh I'm sure FTE will regret this decision

Old 08-25-2015, 09:29 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 383 Likes on 271 Posts
Hardly. Keep a hold of that jar. If you have to change your IPR you can suck out the reservoir. If you have to change injectors, you can suck out the cylinders. When it's time to flush the brake fluid, a vacuum jar is a great way to do it.
^^^ Agreed a good vacuum jar is a nice thing to have.

Originally Posted by JWC 3
Yes !!! pull the galley plugs in the heads , Pull the block plugs , remove the valve covers and suck all that nasty standing oil out of all the hidden spots . Heck .. the pan needs to be removed also ! It holds a quart or so even when drained ! My gosh ... We need to totally rethink an oil change !
I literally spit on coffee... that is great.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:31 PM
Easy Eddy
5th Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
Ok then.....what will you do about the ~2qts that are retained in the oil galley that is machined in the cylinder heads? Are you planning to remove the bleed screws (which the valve covers need to come of to access), of which there are 4, which will drain the head galleys?

Just stop with this nonsense.
This is literally the purpose of what Bill is seeking to do. The flow diagram clearly demonstrates that the reservoir oil only goes from there into the hpop and then to the "dead head" end of the system. The galley is where the old oil is located. Which is what Bill clearly states in his video.

Quick Reply: Changed the oil in the top of the engine.