6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

PCM Relay? Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 04:01 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to confirm, you are talking about the black plug that goes into the grey connector?

Old 08-23-2015, 05:47 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes it's black and gray. It will be connected to the parking brake assembly

Old 08-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Awesome. When I get home I'll take a look and see if there is a way to isolate it from the parking brake. Please let me know if you figure something out.

Bandguy.p

Old 08-25-2015, 04:48 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
This is how I fixed mine.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:08 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
The video come up as private. Is there a trick I am missing?

Old 08-25-2015, 06:56 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
nope, my fault. I had it listed as private. Should be fixed now.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:58 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Thanks, projectnitemare. How did you release the connector from the brake bracket? I'm thinking it would make sense to isolate that connector from the release vibration of the brake bracket. I have to admit that I don't always keep my foot on the parking brake pedal when I release it so it might be pretty jarring to the harness.

Bandguy

Old 08-26-2015, 06:30 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
It's a plastic push in pin hooked to the harness. I carefully pulled it out of the parking brake bracket. When the truck was acting up when I released the brake I would get warning chimes or dash lights flashing. This might not be every persons problem but it fixed mine. I think simply pulling the harness away from the brake and tie it away on another harness will take care if it for good

Old 08-26-2015, 08:01 AM
Goza
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pick up Truck today

I sent this link to the dealership as soon as the wiring harness solution was presented. All of the clues in my case lead to the harness connection as being the problem. First, after not starting, I released the parking brake and it started. Also, my back up camera went down for part of one day and came back by itself. The somewhat opposing messages of "engine overtemp" and "service advancetrac" at the same time. Obviously there was a loose connection or short somewhere, but the big question was where. Thanks to projectnitemare for pointing out the harness connection near the parking brake. By the way, I have been traveling throughout the west for the last 7 months and used my parking brake very much which probably led to my problem. Those 3 chimes I heard before each instance the truck acted up was probably a tattletale that the connection was loosening.

By the way, a big shout out to my dealership, Adams Ford of Logansport, Louisiana. When I was talking to them yesterday, I asked how much the charge was going to be for having my truck in the shop for 8 days. The answer was, "We wouldn't charge you for something like this". Amazing. That was another confirmation that of all the dealerships I could have chosen to buy my truck, this one, the one with the good vibs,,,, proved out correctly.

We will see if it fixes my truck, but I am more confident that this is the fix. I will quit looking at selling it and buying something else.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:03 AM
Bandguy
Senior User
That is my plan. When my problem occurred it happened right after I released my parking brake but I did not make the association at the time. I thought it might have something to do with my remote start.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:26 AM
Bandguy
Senior User
Look to your right and that is me sitting in the same boat. I bought my 2014 truck mainly to tow my travel trailer in (recent) retirement. I have been dragging my trailer around upstate NY and VT the last couple of weeks, often in areas with no cell service. Having this issue that has the potential to be very dangerous, could not be reproduced so fixed had me concerned the entire time and researching new trucks. This information has given my truck a new lease on life. That makes me happy from a $$ standpoint and because towing with this truck is a pleasure.

C
Originally Posted by Goza
I sent this link to the dealership as soon as the wiring harness solution was presented. All of the clues in my case lead to the harness connection as being the problem. First, after not starting, I released the parking brake and it started. Also, my back up camera went down for part of one day and came back by itself. The somewhat opposing messages of "engine overtemp" and "service advancetrac" at the same time. Obviously there was a loose connection or short somewhere, but the big question was where. Thanks to projectnitemare for pointing out the harness connection near the parking brake. By the way, I have been traveling throughout the west for the last 7 months and used my parking brake very much which probably led to my problem. Those 3 chimes I heard before each instance the truck acted up was probably a tattletale that the connection was loosening.

By the way, a big shout out to my dealership, Adams Ford of Logansport, Louisiana. When I was talking to them yesterday, I asked how much the charge was going to be for having my truck in the shop for 8 days. The answer was, "We wouldn't charge you for something like this". Amazing. That was another confirmation that of all the dealerships I could have chosen to buy my truck, this one, the one with the good vibs,,,, proved out correctly.

We will see if it fixes my truck, but I am more confident that this is the fix. I will quit looking at selling it and buying something else.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Goza
New User
Traveling

Bandguy,
Sounds like we are both fulltime RV travelers. I was up in the northeast last year. Very pretty countryside, but the lobster was terrible. Give me spicy crawfish (little lobsters) from Louisiana any day.

I have been in similar isolated places and had complete confidence in my truck. I'm not sure I'll get back to 100% confidence, but it will be very close to it.

By the way, if you're interested, by travel blog address is:
www,gozatravels.blogspot.com
Maybe see ya down the road.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Not full timers for us but given that my wife and I both just retired we will be traveling a lot more. We love seeing the country in or RV.

While I am a fan of New England lobster my love of jazz has lead me to NOLA a few times so I do know crawfish!

Safe travels to you and I will take a look at your blog!

Bandguy

Old 08-26-2015, 07:10 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Kinda in the same boat as you guys. The truck was supposed to be a tow rig but it does more than that now. It needs to be reliable being it takes us on long hauls and such. It has a lift kit, lockers, winch and so on; it takes us places a lot of people don't normally travel. We happened to be lucky it decided to act up in a parking lot and not a few miles up the beach at the house we were at. I like a lot of things about newer trucks but the electronics aren't one of them

Old 08-30-2015, 08:18 AM
Goza
New User
Continuing Saga

I picked my truck up from the dealership on Thursday, 8-26-15 after being there for 8 days. They checked several things out including the removal of the dash. They didn't find anything out of the ordinary. After they received my email which included this thread, they opened the connector and made sure all pins were in good condition. They applied some dielectric grease and reconnected it. They didn't push it back on to the brake assembly and it is just hanging there. That is causing me a little concern.

Two days after picking it up, as I was making a turn, my "low tire pressure" warning came on. I checked all my tires with a tire gauge and not tires were low. Although a sensor in the tire may be acting up, it would be a large coincidence if that is what caused it. My thoughts are that the pin in the connector associated with the "low tire pressure" is acting up from a bad connection or something. I have driven it for about 70 miles and 4 restarts since the low tire pressure with no other symptoms.

"low tire pressure" was not one of my original symptoms and I could live with it if I was sure that was it. But, my worry is that the dreaded "engine overtemp" may be the next one and that is the one that shuts the engine down and won't allow a restart. I'll drive it for another couple weeks before deciding to hit the road with the RV or not. I'll also continue shopping the Chevy and Dodge websites.

Here is a picture of my connector. By the way, my son has a F150 and he does not have a connector at the brake location. I guess some genius with Ford decided to do it on the F250's.

Quick Reply: PCM Relay? Truck won't start