Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Performance head gaskets

Old 07-15-2016, 11:36 PM
AlaskanWheeler
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Available to purchase

Are these available to purchase? If not, any idea when they'll be available?
Thanks

Old 07-15-2016, 11:39 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanWheeler
Are these available to purchase? If not, any idea when they'll be available?
Thanks
You might want to PM Romel77 and see what he says.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Christmas in July! My hand made decompression gaskets arrived from Czech Republic. These things are amazing. They are very heavy in the hands, they are like three steel head shims sandwiched with regular gasket material and held together with a stainless steel fire ring from hell. Justin wasn't kidding when he said the fire rings were epic. The whole gasket is epic.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:49 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford F834
Christmas in July! My hand made decompression gaskets arrived from Czech Republic. These things are amazing. They are very heavy in the hands, they are like three steel head shims sandwiched with regular gasket material and held together with a stainless steel fire ring from hell. Justin wasn't kidding when he said the fire rings were epic. The whole gasket is epic.

That's awesome! I can't wait until I'm at the point where I need them!

Jan you and Justin need to get those up on his site soon! Are you guys still in the testing phase?

Old 07-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, there are two engines with those, Mark Strock´s truck with 90cc pump, Macrobb recently mounted them, he has the 110cc pump and soon there will be F384 engine build with 150cc pump.
I have not heard anything from Justin over a half year, he is not here anymore.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:14 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Romel77
Yes, there are two engines with those, Mark Strock´s truck with 90cc pump, Macrobb recently mounted them, he has the 110cc pump and soon there will be F384 engine build with 150cc pump.
Yeah Justin is mostly on the Facebook site. Thanks for the update after I deploy I'll be in the market for them.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:54 PM
riotwarrior
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Romel77
I am currently in final phase of parts aquisitions for my IDI build

Sleeved 7.3 all 8 cyl
Porting heads
Typ4 Cam
Main studs and girdle

THIS HG you make is quite interesting.

What is cost and ETA?

Alzo what affect on pushrod length as that has not been discussed as well what about head spacing and intake gasket? As heads go UP due to thicker gasket they do get further apart as well.

Curious if anyone has insight on those to parts of the equation.

Al

Old 07-30-2016, 09:11 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Originally Posted by riotwarrior
I am currently in final phase of parts aquisitions for my IDI build

Sleeved 7.3 all 8 cyl
Porting heads
Typ4 Cam
Main studs and girdle

THIS HG you make is quite interesting.

What is cost and ETA?

Alzo what affect on pushrod length as that has not been discussed as well what about head spacing and intake gasket? As heads go UP due to thicker gasket they do get further apart as well.

Curious if anyone has insight on those to parts of the equation.

Al
When Macrobb mounted his he said the intake bolts were snug but did not need modification. Any thicker and the holes might need oval'd out. He relied on lifter travel to make up the difference, but Mark Strock milled .037" off the base of the rocker pedestals to compensate for the difference. Justin says 10.000" pushrods would also work to make up the difference. i will probably go the push rod route when I mount mine. If you want them fairly soon you will have to contact Romel77. Justin said he will carry them at R&D but has not been active about it. He is waiting to see how they work out after some time in the engine.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:10 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
He relied on lifter travel to make up the difference, but Mark Strock milled .037" off the base of the rocker pedestals to compensate for the difference.
I ended up milling .030 off the rockers themselves; just disassembled them and removed .030 from the face that sits on the rocker pedestal in the head.
It did /work/ before milling, but things were slightly louder; those lifters were basically maxed out.

Chances are, though, using longer push rods would be better due to keeping the valve-rocker geometry the same.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:06 PM
riotwarrior
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Macrobb
I ended up milling .030 off the rockers themselves; just disassembled them and removed .030 from the face that sits on the rocker pedestal in the head.
It did /work/ before milling, but things were slightly louder; those lifters were basically maxed out.

Chances are, though, using longer push rods would be better due to keeping the valve-rocker geometry the same.
Theze engines are difficult enough to keep guides in let alone altering the valvetrain geometry...yes longer pushrods could be the answer....oh wtf...now that those may be on the table why not some roller rockers too

Old 07-31-2016, 04:46 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Theze engines are difficult enough to keep guides in let alone altering the valvetrain geometry...yes longer pushrods could be the answer....oh wtf...now that those may be on the table why not some roller rockers too
Do it! I know Harland-Sharpe have done a few sets. Justin is also working on some well.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:14 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Yeah, I'm hoping the R&D roller rockers will be available by the time I am ready to put my engine together. That would be the ultimate but otherwise I will order the longer pushrods and run the stock rockers for a while. Nothing against Harland Sharp product but I prefer to support R&D and his design looks really strong. I like

Old 07-31-2016, 06:29 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Yeah, I'm hoping the R&D roller rockers will be available by the time I am ready to put my engine together. That would be the ultimate but otherwise I will order the longer pushrods and run the stock rockers for a while. Nothing against Harland Sharp product but I prefer to support R&D and his design looks really strong. I like
I feel the same way. Justin is definitely building a good product line for these engines.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:57 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Little update time. There are 2 engines using the decompression gaskets now, Mark Strock for almost 10 month with no issue. He has 6.9 with 90cc pump and 256 turbo. He is boosting 28-32psi with no issues and he is towing realy heavy with it. He told me the gaskets are worth every penny and he is extremely happy how the truck perfoms, he claims 7 percent grade with total weight 18000pound doing 70mph.

The next truck is Macrobb´s truck 7.3. The gaskets are no issue in his truck, however his 110cc pump which he altered in many ways is not working as he expected. Not related to the gaskets.

Mine will be the third truck hopefully over the winter, however may be postponed to some very interesting working oportunity out of my country.

The gaskets work specially good in 6.9 as they relief the headstuds, which are the only downfall of the 6.9. Mark claims no issues cold starting the truck, the only thing is it needs to glow even when sitting 30 minutes.
The other downfall is little smoke on the cold start up before the engine heats up, which is the lower CR ratio, the price of it. Once it warms idles clean.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That gasket looks really nice ..

That's my thoughts also if i were to build a performance motor ..

6.9 w/ 256 & studs .. looks perfect for this application. ..

Good to know it's proven now and developing 30psi .. nice work

When i build a power motor this will be a must have ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance head gaskets