Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Performance head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by S.P.
Type4 had his hands on them, he lives south of Portland Oregon...
I have no idea what state Justin is in, can someone tell me that?
I should have asked what state are the in. Just out of curiosity.... thanks.
Dude I do not want to be rude, but every his post has a location in right upper corner, Maple Valley, Washington.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:28 AM
S.P.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Romel77
Dude I do not want to be rude, but every his post has a location in right upper corner, Maple Valley, Washington.
My phone doesn't show that from this site... it did on my desktop but not on the phone....... I thought he lived in Newburg.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:42 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Performance head gaskets

Originally Posted by S.P.
My phone doesn't show that from this site... it did on my desktop but not on the phone....... I thought he lived in Newburg.
Same here, use the phone app more often and no location or signatures among other things...
However I knew his location cause he's 40 mins from me. :-)

Love the head gaskets, can't wait to see how they hold up!

Old 12-19-2015, 04:36 AM
Romel77
More Turbo
Guys, I had very little time but the decompression 2.8mm gasket is born, I am waiting for the money to pick it up. The production of the reinz gaskets is set and ready to go. The next chalenge is to make 1mm thick gasket for my friend who needs to gain some compression after purchasing pistons shaved up too much.
If theese work what should be the next step?

I am thinking of forged pistons, IDIT specs or whatever is needed, regular rings, already designed lowered compression. How about that?

Old 12-19-2015, 05:19 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IDK about forged pistons, i dont think you can get steel ring lands with forged pistons. Maybe just me, but a 19:1ish piston that will fit the larger 1.307" (33.2? mm) wrist pin would be an idea. Seems the IDIT pistons are getting a bit hard to find, and now that there is no shortage of tough rods (psd)...

Jan, have you looked into roller rockers? Machined return caps would be another idea.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:02 AM
Romel77
More Turbo
The smarter ones are highly welcome with any imput, I have never done it, but go every day around the company that makes pistons and it is very tempting to just walk in and ask. I am a newbie to the performance world, but I love to learn. I am open to any thoughts.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
Jan, have you looked into roller rockers? Machined return caps would be another idea.[/QUOTE]

Mike I did, it needs a LOT of money, and then testing, I asked my uncle. He said why to research something that Harland makes, he said he would not beat the price in no way, plus extensive testing. I did not give up, just put it aside for now.

Do we really need machined return caps? That is an easy thing, if there is demand for them, I can handle those, but I did not think it was an issue. Plus I think Justin is about to make some good all steel upgrade But anyway if we need those, be it. Aluminum?

Old 01-02-2016, 02:06 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
Pictures of the thicker 2.8 mm gaskets. They are 5 layers stacked together, outer layers are 0.2mm steel, two layers of gasket material 1.1mm with steel layer 0.2mm in the middle. The reinz was out of specs for this gasket, so it uses regular gasket material reinforced with 0.12mm stainless steel grid in the middle. The idea is having the whole gasket shielded with steel and having as much suport layers with steel to hold the firering. It is just a testing gasket, if it works I am in process of getting to the bigger company that has cnc machines to reproduce them with higher accuracy and higher quantities, as all of the current ones are hand made.

Thicker 2.8mm gaskets

The layers

Couple sets of the standard reinz gaskets

Old 01-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do we really need machined return caps? That is an easy thing, if there is demand for them, I can handle those, but I did not think it was an issue. Plus I think Justin is about to make some good all steel upgrade But anyway if we need those, be it. Aluminum?
I made a set of aluminum ones myself; ended up going back to plastic.
Some of them worked, I just kept having trouble... But that was before I learned of the wheel bearing grease trick.
My set was basically an aluminum cyl with four holes around it cut to 1/16 NPT; I put two plugs and two nipples in each. Expensive, but that way I could make any Ts, Ls, singles or straight through.

I'm thinking if I did it today, I'd try just reaming out 1-4 smaller holes and press in machined barbs; if I did an interference fit, I should be able to make it not leak without any added assistance.

Or I could braze/solder them in; but that too is extra work.

However, even with these, it wouldn't eliminate the /real/ problem -- the O-rings.
Perhaps it might pay to look into some very small threaded nipples and tap each injector's little return hole; You'd have a total metal-to-metal fit there without any rubber parts.

Or, perhaps modify the top of each injector to have some threads where the top O-ring groove is, so you could drop a banjo-type fitting over the top of each and have a nut/thin brass washer to tighten it down, just under the injector line nut.

I don't know. I'm not too concerned these days, because I just modified things so I don't /need/ to worry about the return lines being 100% leakproof. Any little leaks just won't cause a problem if you can keep the supply lines full.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:44 AM
Romel77
More Turbo
I do not really think we need any upgrade on that, the plastic kit is cheap, and I do not really mind changing the o rings time to time plus the hoses among them. The hoses age as well, so it is not just the o rings. If u do it properly, I think the next change is in couple years.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:43 AM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Pictures of the thicker 2.8 mm gaskets. They are 5 layers stacked together, outer layers are 0.2mm steel, two layers of gasket material 1.1mm with steel layer 0.2mm in the middle. The reinz was out of specs for this gasket, so it uses regular gasket material reinforced with 0.12mm stainless steel grid in the middle. The idea is having the whole gasket shielded with steel and having as much suport layers with steel to hold the firering. It is just a testing gasket, if it works I am in process of getting to the bigger company that has cnc machines to reproduce them with higher accuracy and higher quantities, as all of the current ones are hand made.

Thicker 2.8mm gaskets

The layers

Couple sets of the standard reinz gaskets
Are those getting sent to Justin for testing soon? I can't wait to see what they do!

Old 01-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
I will send them Monday.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:12 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
I will send them Monday.
Nice! Keeping a set for yourself too?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
Nope, primarily everything goes to Justin for testing.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
double post

Quick Reply: Performance head gaskets