1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2010 V10 pinging, power loss, miss

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Bigdawg5565
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE

Just wanted to drop a quick update. I dropped my truck off this weekend and the service department called me this morning and said I was correct...the cats are plugged up big-time. They are replacing them under a factory recall. Good thing they were under recall. They also told me that the codes also show some misfires and the plugs are original and could've contributed to the problem. They quoted me $369.00 to replace the spark plugs, so I gave them the go ahead. Everything I had read up to this point lead me to believe that the cats were no good. I had hardly any power in the truck. I am anxious to drive it with new cats on and see what I had been missing. I wonder how long they had been going bad.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:06 PM
wheels310
New User
Bringing this thread back. Still having problems. Since my original post I have replaced spark plugs (again), replaced all ignition coils and boots, replaced the throttle body, repaired a leaky coolant hose that was leaking onto the right bank ignition coils, replaced the restrictive y pipe with a collector-style y pipe, tested cats, installed a flowmaster big block muffler, and replaced the PCV valve. All the work except for the exhaust done at the dealer. Note, throttle body was covered in sludge on the engine side of the plates.

After the coils, throttle body, and coolant leak repair, I got the van back and it ran like brand new. So much power, fuel mileage was restored, happy guy. took a 700 mi. trip towing 7-8k, the drive to my destination was trouble free, pulled grades with ease, plenty of power on tap, even got 9mpg with a 24ft enclosed in tow.

The drive home was miserable. had to keep it up around 3k rpm to keep speed on the highway (hwy5 central CA). I didn't calculate gas mileage, but it was 350 miles, I went through almost 60 gallons, two full tanks just about. Seemed plugged up or choked up. Checked air filter-good. Downshifts even on the slightest grades... Took it back to the dealer. No codes, everything is normal. Drove it today, got the same intermittent miss at idle and up to about 1500 rpm. When driving at speed and rpm got below 1500, the miss became very violent. This went on for about 3 miles, until I decided to give it full throttle, and it was fine after that.

This is so annoying.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:06 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have the O2 sensors been replaced?

I had cats replaced under factory recall on a Mustang. Ran great for a while then ran like a broken legged dog. Missing, huge loss of power, terrible gas mileage. NO codes. I drove it with the O2s unplugged and it ran great except for lousy gas mileage.

Replaced the O2 sensors and fixed everything. Turns out, the dealer does not replace O2 sensors under the recall but they are just as contaminated as the cats. The newer model computers should be reporting a code. jim

Old 02-26-2016, 10:00 PM
wheels310
New User
Originally Posted by jimandnena
Have the O2 sensors been replaced?

I had cats replaced under factory recall on a Mustang. Ran great for a while then ran like a broken legged dog. Missing, huge loss of power, terrible gas mileage. NO codes. I drove it with the O2s unplugged and it ran great except for lousy gas mileage.

Replaced the O2 sensors and fixed everything. Turns out, the dealer does not replace O2 sensors under the recall but they are just as contaminated as the cats. The newer model computers should be reporting a code. jim
No, they haven't been replaced. My problem is intermittent, so I would think bad o2 sensors or cats would be more of a consistent problem... Any thoughts?

Had the miss occur today again, only for aabout 10 seconds in a parking lot. This is really driving me nuts!

Old 06-25-2018, 10:08 PM
Fuhing
New User
What is a vehicle health download ?

Originally Posted by Bigdawg5565
I am having similar issues with my 2009 F250 6.8l. Everything has been fine with normal everyday type driving not a single issue to complain about. I love this truck. I have never really put it under any kind of load before though. I also drive very "grandma" like lol. This past weekend I took the truck out of town and traffic was pretty heavy. I pulled out onto the highway and tromped on the accelerator...not really done this before. All the sudden the truck is acting like it wants to go faster but it starts to stumble and ping like crazy. I let off the pedal and it's back to normal driving. I stomp the pedal again and it does it again. Each time the little engine light flash a few times but went off after I let off the accelerator pedal. It was nuts. I have driven about 3000 miles since buying the truck a year ago and never had an issue like this before but I have never really given the truck the full guns. I did a vehicle health check download and it revealed nothing. I logged into my Ford Owners account and it shows a factory recall-warranty extension for catalytic converters. I have an appointment scheduled for next Monday to take it in but from what I've read on a few different forum posts, it looks like my "cats" may be acting up. It's weird. While having normal (no hard accelerations) driving everything appears normal but when I push hard on the accelerator, it stumbles and pings like crazy. Any further thoughts? Thanks.
what is a vehicle health download ?