6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Opinion on trans fluid condition

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:16 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Mine looks exactly as yours too at 71k miles. Ford recommends a 150k mile service interval. I'm planning on having mine serviced at 100k miles.
Be very careful when adding tranny fluid and only add small amounts at a time, as a over fill can be harmful as well. Make sure the tranny is at operating temp when checking the fluid.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:24 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I was towing when I checked mine so I know exactly how low it was. I the pic I had just unhooked.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:38 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it's 150K mile service interval then I would definitely just add to the full level. I've had several occasions where well beyond 100k a service tech just tells me to leave it alone.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:48 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to a good friend (now passed on) who spent 40 years as a petrochemical engineer for Ashland Refineries - Oils actually never wear out, but the additives do and the oil can become contaminated...
Not sure why people are against giving it a fresh change.. I've never heard of any negative consequences from regular service intervals in either engines or transmissions.
I wonder if Blackstone Labs does oil analysis on ATF?

Old 08-14-2015, 10:31 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
According to a good friend (now passed on) who spent 40 years as a petrochemical engineer for Ashland Refineries - Oils actually never wear out, but the additives do and the oil can become contaminated...
Not sure why people are against giving it a fresh change.. I've never heard of any negative consequences from regular service intervals in either engines or transmissions.
I wonder if Blackstone Labs does oil analysis on ATF?

Oil actually can wear out and that's called "oxidation". Having said that the LV oil that's in our tranny's is a synthetic oil and is much more resistance to oxidation and can last longer.

There's nothing wrong with changing the oil early. It's a balance of proper care and your wallet. Your choice!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:32 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by senix

I have 24700 miles on this truck. This is the factory fill for the trans.

I hope that you are able to see the pic.

It is 1/2 qt low so it is in the middle of the hash mark area.

It seemed to smell ok. But it is not all that red.

It's hard to tell but mines very light in color, it's got 47,000 on it

Old 08-14-2015, 10:49 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Oil actually can wear out and that's called "oxidation". Having said that the LV oil that's in our tranny's is a synthetic oil and is much more resistance to oxidation and can last longer.

There's nothing wrong with changing the oil early. It's a balance of proper care and your wallet. Your choice!
And, besides oxidation, the lighter fractions can also vaporize over time and increase the overall viscosity in various oils, and heavier fractions can be cracked causing carbon deposition. (not that either of those are a concern with the synthetic as you mentioned - just adding to the conversation)

Old 08-14-2015, 10:51 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2 trains of thought...........#1 Mercon LV turns brown very quickly. #2 I've never seen one burned up from too many fluid changes.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:59 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by vloney
2 trains of thought...........#1 Mercon LV turns brown very quickly. #2 I've never seen one burned up from too many fluid changes.
vloney,
Based on your experience how many miles do you recommend to change the transmission oil and filter?

Old 08-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sit corrected and will have a talk with my buddy Skip when I get to heaven....

Still I think the greater problem with oils is contamination and dilution.
I am also perplexed by some manufacturers now making their transmissions totally sealed and non serviceable - even to the point of not providing a means to check fluid levels..

Old 08-14-2015, 11:12 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Still I think the greater problem with oils is contamination and dilution.
I am also perplexed by some manufacturers now making their transmissions totally sealed and non serviceable - even to the point of not providing a means to check fluid levels..
I found the sealed system to be a surprise as well. I had a leak on my F-150 trans several years ago, so I figured I would check the level and top it off. I knew I didn't have a dipstick, but didn't realize I couldn't at least check the level and refill from under the truck without heavy gloves and a fluid pump.

I agree completely about contaminants and dilution.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:33 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ruschejj

It's hard to tell but mines very light in color, it's got 47,000 on it

Although my picture didn't turn out as well as yours, it is about the same color. I am just going to top it off and call it a day.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:57 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
vloney,
Based on your experience how many miles do you recommend to change the transmission oil and filter?
50-60 k baseline, from there depending on usage.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:40 PM
senix
Super Moderator
sounds like I might as well stick to what I have always done:

Trans/transfer case/rear diff @ 60K.

Trans @ 90k

Front/Rear Diff @ 100K.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:31 PM
2civicrr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not against regular changes and/or service intervals. In my earlier post, I believe I stated that I did the changes on my 2004 6.0 according to the recommended maintenance schedule. In fact, I actually erred on the side of caution, using the 'severe service' schedule.

On the other hand, I don't believe in changing fluids prematurely either. The mfg recommended trans fluid change is @ 150K miles. Changing the trans fluid at say 50K miles would be like changing the motor oil every 2K miles. In other words, you're changing the trans fluid/motor oil after approximately 1/3 it's expected useful life. Keep in mind that the OP had less than 25K miles on his truck.........

Would it hurt anything to change it 'early'? I'm thinking only your wallet would complain.

Quick Reply: Opinion on trans fluid condition