1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

69' LWB Daily Driven College-budget Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:18 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Weld a stud to the threaded area and use a nut to secure the timing cover.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:19 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Good suggestion HIO.

John

Old 08-25-2015, 07:15 PM
CrossPlainCrazy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good man!! I just got a bump a week ago and love this truck already!!! Even though I have driven it three times now and got stuck the second time in my friends driveway lol.. Can't wait to see more of your progress and you got me thinking into staring a tread on my budget build

Old 08-26-2015, 01:52 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Good idea HIO. It may help with lining everything up too.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:39 AM
FALLN_69F100
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigB9000
Isn't that the main power steering mount bolt hole?

Where ya from anyway?

My power steering pump on the 240 bolts to the four holes just behind the timing cover, on the side of the block before the distributor.

Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Weld a stud to the threaded area and use a nut to secure the timing cover.
Wow why hadn't I thought of this? Because I'm a noob that's why. Thanks HIO. Think it matters what grade I use? I'd assume just go for a grade 8?

Originally Posted by CrossPlainCrazy
Looks good man!! I just got a bump a week ago and love this truck already!!! Even though I have driven it three times now and got stuck the second time in my friends driveway lol.. Can't wait to see more of your progress and you got me thinking into staring a tread on my budget build
Thanks! lol the open diff doesn't help get out uneven ground too well huh? I should know I fell in love with mine before I even drove it, and I like it more and more everyday. I think the girlfriend gets a little jealous

Old 08-26-2015, 12:30 PM
CougarJohn
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everything looks good.
I see you have primed and will paint around the boss battery cable mount. Make sure you take the mating surface down to iron. Run a tap into the threads. It may save you a starting heartache later.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:47 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jowilker
Good suggestion HIO.

John
Originally Posted by FALLN_69F100
Wow why hadn't I thought of this? Because I'm a noob that's why. Thanks HIO. Think it matters what grade I use? I'd assume just go for a grade 8?
Originally Posted by GaryKip
Good idea HIO. It may help with lining everything up too.

A Grade 5 stud would be fine. It's not like the cover requires alot of torque.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:44 PM
CrossPlainCrazy
Senior User
Thanks! lol the open diff doesn't help get out uneven ground too well huh? I should know I fell in love with mine before I even drove it, and I like it more and more everyday. I think the girlfriend gets a little jealous[/QUOTE]

Actually it wasn't the pavement that did it. It was the engine just stopped running lol.. You have encouraged me to start a thread now so I wrote a book on mine now to start lol.. It's 1970 Bump Back To Life thread. What did you clean the paint with and wheels by the way? Bon Amie like HIO Silver did?

Old 08-27-2015, 02:13 AM
FALLN_69F100
Junior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver

A Grade 5 stud would be fine. It's not like the cover requires alot of torque.
Thanks!

Actually it wasn't the pavement that did it. It was the engine just stopped running lol.. You have encouraged me to start a thread now so I wrote a book on mine now to start lol.. It's 1970 Bump Back To Life thread. What did you clean the paint with and wheels by the way? Bon Amie like HIO Silver did?

I'll head over and read it now!

When I first got the truck I hadn't read HIO's thread(s) and had no idea what Bon Amie was. I just cleaned it reaaaaaalllly well then used a cleaner wax I think it was Meguiar's. I must admit the truck does not look as good as it did in those pics and it is about time for another cleanup...need to get rid of some new surface rust that has popped up, and the rims are over due for polishing too.Maybe I'll get some Bon Amie and see how it well it works for the paint. That however, is on the long list of things to do after the motor is in

Old 08-27-2015, 02:08 PM
CrossPlainCrazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by FALLN_69F100
Thanks!

I'll head over and read it now!

When I first got the truck I hadn't read HIO's thread(s) and had no idea what Bon Amie was. I just cleaned it reaaaaaalllly well then used a cleaner wax I think it was Meguiar's. I must admit the truck does not look as good as it did in those pics and it is about time for another cleanup...need to get rid of some new surface rust that has popped up, and the rims are over due for polishing too.Maybe I'll get some Bon Amie and see how it well it works for the paint. That however, is on the long list of things to do after the motor is in
I agree with you man.. The paint is last on the list for me lol.. Make it run and run good and not catch fire is my top priority lol.. Looks good either way though man!!

Old 08-27-2015, 02:12 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
I agree with you man.. The paint is last on the list for me lol.. Make it run and run good and not catch fire is my top priority lol.. Looks good either way though man!!
10-4.... Nice paint is waaaay over-rated. It's a truck and guaranteed to have well deserved battle scars.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:53 PM
FALLN_69F100
Junior User
Cleaning the paint is on the "ran out of money but have some time" list, a paintjob however is not on any list and probably will never be. I like the dents and scratches

Old 08-28-2015, 07:54 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
I'm not an I-6 guy but as I recall when you mount that timing cover mount it loose 1st. Mount the crank pulley temporarily enough to center It's seal in the timing cover. Once this is centered tighten the cover bolts.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
I'm not an I-6 guy but as I recall when you mount that timing cover mount it loose 1st. Mount the crank pulley temporarily enough to center It's seal in the timing cover. Once this is centered tighten the cover bolts.
.. that's the principle I use to index an intake manifold on an FE using the distributor.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:31 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
69' LWB Daily Driven College-budget Build

I'm going to join in on the fun here. I can relate to a lot of this, FALLN.

Quick Reply: 69' LWB Daily Driven College-budget Build