6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Pre-Loaded SCT tunes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Crumm
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtymutt
I am also interested in the answer to Crumm's last question regarding the econo vs tow tune. I have returned my truck back to stock because I hate the shift pattern on my 87 tow tune. I'm sure Mike could fix this (his customer service is excellent) but I don't want to spend any more money on this tuner.
I am with ya. The 87 economy makes the truck a dog and it burns more fuel than I can afford. Dunno what would make it economy other than not touching the throttle but it's such a dog that you have to keep the gas mashed and thus it gets terrible mileage.

With the 87 daily/tow the power is great and the shifting is great 85% of the time. It also gets better mileage as 1/4 throttle is all that's needed if you are looking for mileage. The shifting most the time is a little better than stock but the 15% of the time that it does strange stuff bothers me. Don't even know exactly how to explain what it's doing but I think it is probably the shift flare that others talk about. It also bangs in once in a while when it seems to get confused as to where it wants to be. Kinda seems like if you change throttle position even a tiny bit while its shifting it changes its mind where it wants to go. But like I said 85% of the time it's great.

After spending $160 on tunes I am just going to run it for a while and if I can't get use to it I guess I will have to spend a little more. I emailed 5 Star back and forth a little and got a few answers from Jacob but I could tell he was busy as the answers were very short and I really didn't get a clear understanding of it all. One big thing I don't like is the high idle in drive which he replied "we set it high so there is less delay in the reaction time when you press the go pedal". I thought no biggie I will just change it with the tuner but no matter where I set it the rpm is the same. They must have the programable settings overridden as they wont change. I think the shifting could also be fixed with the settings but when I asked about it I got "all good questions but the only thing we suggest adjusting in the user options is tire revs if you change tire size and axle if you change your gears". I am sure they deal with tons of fellas like me that don't know enough about it to mess with it so it's probably a great response but I need the option of fine tuning it a little. We need a book "Tuning For Dummies".

Old 08-30-2015, 06:44 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
Just to clarify my issue I should say that my truck actually shifts perfectly normal with my 87 Eco and Tow. My issue is that where I live it seems the truck will never up shift at the speed limits around the city. This is resulting in horrible mileage(I don't want to hear it's a hd truck I already realize this) as it feels like the truck always needs 1 more gear up. I originally had the high idle issue and Mike very quickly corrected that for me. I like the power and response of the 87 tow but I just grew tired of driving around in manual mode to obtain better cruising results.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:07 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtymutt
Just to clarify my issue I should say that my truck actually shifts perfectly normal with my 87 Eco and Tow. My issue is that where I live it seems the truck will never up shift at the speed limits around the city. This is resulting in horrible mileage(I don't want to hear it's a hd truck I already realize this) as it feels like the truck always needs 1 more gear up. I originally had the high idle issue and Mike very quickly corrected that for me. I like the power and response of the 87 tow but I just grew tired of driving around in manual mode to obtain better cruising results.
I had same issues. Between that and strange shifts got tired of screwing with it and took it off.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:28 AM
spud57
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
If folks are just using the tune for towing, why not have the tune set up to only be active/activated when in tow haul? If not in tow haul, stock settings are used.

Just a thought.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:50 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure that's possible. It will change everything across the board whether tow/haul is active or not

Old 09-02-2015, 11:07 AM
spud57
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep it can be done. 5 star confirmed this.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:30 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
I decided to reload the 87 tow and it really does wake the truck up. When I quit feeling so cheap I will reach out to Mike regarding the new daily/tow version. I want the motor/throttle response but stock shifting for daily use and then yes if tow haul could activate the altered shift programming I think I would be set.