6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Pre-Loaded SCT tunes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 02:20 AM
Crumm
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-Loaded SCT tunes

I know everyone say's 5 star tunes are the best but I am not looking for all they offer. I am happy with the way my 2015 shifts so I don't want any transmission tuning just some more low end throttle response. Anyone ran the pre-loaded SCT tunes?

There information says "The X4 Power Flash arrives Pre-Loaded with DYNO Proven tune files that INCREASE HORSEPOWER and TORQUE". No where do I find anything that talks about any transmission changes so I am thinking the canned tunes may be for me.

If I don't like the canned tunes I could always buy a email tune from 5 star but if the pre-loaded help the throttle response with a little more hp I would be happy.

Any experience with pre-loaded tunes out there?.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:28 AM
saratoga2011
More Turbo
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm quite happy with the preloaded SCT strategy tunes. I pretty much leave the 87 tune in place all the time... it doesn't make any weird shifting changes, stock shift points are retained and it doesn't slam into or out of gear unexpectedly.

It definitely makes a difference over stock, much less downshifting and a little better throttle response. The throttle response isn't as drastically changed compared to the 5-star tunes but it doesn't have the weird shifting characteristics the 5-star 87 perf had. MPG is unchanged from stock from what I can tell.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:05 PM
hoss66
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pre-Loaded SCT tunes

5star has a group buy now if we get enough people, you get the tuner and 5 custom tunes for 399. From what i have seen the tuner itself usually costs that much so you are essentially getting the tunes for free, so if you dont like them it doesnt matter.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Crumm
Elder User
Originally Posted by hoss66
5star has a group buy now if we get enough people, you get the tuner and 5 custom tunes for 399. From what i have seen the tuner itself usually costs that much so you are essentially getting the tunes for free, so if you dont like them it doesnt matter.
Little late for me. Mine will be here tomorrow for $329. If I don't like the canned tunes I guess I will get a email tune from them for $100. I only need one good tune.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:14 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
5 Star has sent me some new tunes to try in my 2011 F250, I put the 87 DT in and when you are driving normally it seems to behave much like stock. However when you put the truck in Tow Haul mode what a difference. It holds the gears much longer and won't shift into 6th till 65 or so MPH. The shifts are very firm which I like and I imagine will make hauling my 35Ft TT very enjoyable, I always used to shift the truck manually when towing the RV and never used 6th as I never go over 62MPH when towing but I think with this new program I will use T/H mode as the truck seems to have more power in T/H than it does when in manual mode. I drove 60 miles this morning in T/H at 70 mph with the bed cover closed and averaged 14.7 MPG according to the lie o meter. yesterday I drove the same distance 2 ways and averaged the same with the tranny in normal mode. I am not unhappy with that mileage as that is about what I get with the factory tune in it. I still need to get some more miles on this tune but it is very close to what I expected a custom tune to act like so far, much better that the original tunes I had.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Crumm
Elder User
Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder
However when you put the truck in Tow Haul mode what a difference. It holds the gears much longer and won't shift into 6th till 65 or so MPH.
That is how my 2015 factory programming is. The newer trucks don't seem to have any of the shifting problems that make guys want a reprogram in the older trucks. When I load up my camper and hook up the trailer the truck very rarely sees 6th gear when in tow/haul as a matter of fact it doesn't use 5th much. Takes a long flat straight to hit fifth and a slight downgrade to hit 6th. Like I stated above the shifting is great. I really like how it downshifts when you touch the brakes in tow/haul. Firm shifts and it never hunts for a gear it just shifts and goes. Only complaint for needing the tuner is the sluggish throttle response on take-off.

Tuner should be here today. Truck has just over 4000 miles on it with about 1500 of towing. Is that enough to hit it with a tuner or should I break it in a little more?

Old 08-14-2015, 12:56 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crumm
That is how my 2015 factory programming is. The newer trucks don't seem to have any of the shifting problems that make guys want a reprogram in the older trucks. When I load up my camper and hook up the trailer the truck very rarely sees 6th gear when in tow/haul as a matter of fact it doesn't use 5th much. Takes a long flat straight to hit fifth and a slight downgrade to hit 6th. Like I stated above the shifting is great. I really like how it downshifts when you touch the brakes in tow/haul. Firm shifts and it never hunts for a gear it just shifts and goes. Only complaint for needing the tuner is the sluggish throttle response on take-off.

Tuner should be here today. Truck has just over 4000 miles on it with about 1500 of towing. Is that enough to hit it with a tuner or should I break it in a little more?

There is nothing sluggish about how my truck accelerates with the tune in T/H mode anymore. Hard to believe it weighs almost 7300 lbs with no one in it.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:58 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User

There is nothing sluggish about how my truck accelerates with the tune in T/H mode anymore. Hard to believe it weighs almost 7300 lbs with no one in it. Have you done your first oil change yet? I would wait until after that at the very least

Old 08-14-2015, 01:05 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
I know everyone say's 5 star tunes are the best but I am not looking for all they offer. I am happy with the way my 2015 shifts so I don't want any transmission tuning just some more low end throttle response. Anyone ran the pre-loaded SCT tunes?

There information says "The X4 Power Flash arrives Pre-Loaded with DYNO Proven tune files that INCREASE HORSEPOWER and TORQUE". No where do I find anything that talks about any transmission changes so I am thinking the canned tunes may be for me.

If I don't like the canned tunes I could always buy a email tune from 5 star but if the pre-loaded help the throttle response with a little more hp I would be happy.

Any experience with pre-loaded tunes out there?.
If you would like more over what the SCT preloads offer, more power, increased throttle response, etc. we can create an email tune for you and leave your stock shifting just the way it is. Just want you to know there are always options out there.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:07 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor

With as many miles as you have on it, you are safe to tune anytime.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:11 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder
5 Star has sent me some new tunes to try in my 2011 F250, I put the 87 DT in and when you are driving normally it seems to behave much like stock. However when you put the truck in Tow Haul mode what a difference. It holds the gears much longer and won't shift into 6th till 65 or so MPH. The shifts are very firm which I like and I imagine will make hauling my 35Ft TT very enjoyable, I always used to shift the truck manually when towing the RV and never used 6th as I never go over 62MPH when towing but I think with this new program I will use T/H mode as the truck seems to have more power in T/H than it does when in manual mode. I drove 60 miles this morning in T/H at 70 mph with the bed cover closed and averaged 14.7 MPG according to the lie o meter. yesterday I drove the same distance 2 ways and averaged the same with the tranny in normal mode. I am not unhappy with that mileage as that is about what I get with the factory tune in it. I still need to get some more miles on this tune but it is very close to what I expected a custom tune to act like so far, much better that the original tunes I had.
Let us know how the tunes work out for you. We have basically 2 tunes built into each tune. Regular and TH options. Gives you the best of all worlds without having to retune.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:08 PM
Crumm
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordmdb
If you would like more over what the SCT preloads offer, more power, increased throttle response, etc. we can create an email tune for you and leave your stock shifting just the way it is. Just want you to know there are always options out there.
Yes I will need to do that. Just installed the SCT canned tune and didn't notice any change in power or throttle response. I will give you a call or email first of the week.

On a side note I purchased the cheapest laptop I could find on Amazon just for this tuner as all I run is mac but it won't work for the SCT. When I loaded the updater it wouldn't communicate with the tuner and it turns out that windows 8.1 doesn't work. Did a little searching and you have to manually install a driver to get windows 8.1 to communicate with the tuner. Just thought I would throw that out there for anyone beating there head against the wall when the tuner won't communicate.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Crumm
Elder User
Just returned to stock and took another drive. Only change I can tell between canned SCT tune and stock is it shifts harder with the SCT. Driving along at 50mph when you drop the skinny pedal it shifts to second. With the stock tune it shifts into second smoothly and takes off, with the SCT tune it bangs hard into second and takes off. Time for a 5 Star custom tune.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:23 AM
Crumm
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordmdb
Well I just ordered the 87 economy and 87 daily/tow. Do I understand it correctly that the economy raises the power/throttle response while leaving the transmission alone where the daily 87 enhances shifting along with power/throttle response ?

Old 08-30-2015, 12:02 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
I am also interested in the answer to Crumm's last question regarding the econo vs tow tune. I have returned my truck back to stock because I hate the shift pattern on my 87 tow tune. I'm sure Mike could fix this (his customer service is excellent) but I don't want to spend any more money on this tuner.

Quick Reply: Pre-Loaded SCT tunes