2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Thinking of buying New Explorer.... Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:03 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 69satelite
Nice choice. Wish my wife would of bought the sport. They sure seem to have more power. She is on her second Explorer. 2011 And now the 2015. Happy with everything except the exhaust smell in the cabin after hard acceleration...
Let's see what I can do to help clear the air, 69satelite. How many miles are on your wife's Explorer?

Crystal

Old 10-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oneowner83
Happy for you, it's a nice vehicle. Not sure how you could afford a new Sport though. All the teabaggers claim there are no jobs or just burger-flipping jobs. Congrats!
Yeah the good jobs are out there... but you gotta work hard to get them!

Nice choice. Wish my wife would of bought the sport. They sure seem to have more power. She is on her second Explorer. 2011 And now the 2015. Happy with everything except the exhaust smell in the cabin after hard acceleration. And that is anything above 3000 rpm.
That is strange! No such problem with ours that I have noticed...

Old 10-16-2015, 04:44 PM
69satelite
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Let's see what I can do to help clear the air, 69satelite. How many miles are on your wife's Explorer?

Crystal
Thank you Crystal. I started a new thread on the exhaust smell.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:13 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Thank you Crystal. I started a new thread on the exhaust smell.
Thanks for letting me know, 69satelite; I'll go check it out.

Crystal

Old 10-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Robskater
Freshman User
We just got a 15 Explorer limited this weekend. 3.5NA. A lease return with 22K on it. It has most of the bells and whistles except nav and power 3rd row and tow. Was 34K 3 weeks ago when we saw it and kept looking. It was dropped to 30K and got it for 29K. I had hoped the wife would get a Base 14 at 21K but she wanted more stuff. Drives wonderful and it is nicer than my 15 F150XLT Supercrew 2.7EB by a long shot. (it has been in the shop since a Smart Sense Converter went out and they cant find one, engine just was shutting down whenever it felt like it while driving) We also have a 06 Mustang conv premium V6 with less than 60K miles. I guess I am a ford guy.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:27 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Robskater
We just got a 15 Explorer limited this weekend. 3.5NA. A lease return with 22K on it. It has most of the bells and whistles except nav and power 3rd row and tow. Was 34K 3 weeks ago when we saw it and kept looking. It was dropped to 30K and got it for 29K. I had hoped the wife would get a Base 14 at 21K but she wanted more stuff. Drives wonderful and it is nicer than my 15 F150XLT Supercrew 2.7EB by a long shot. (it has been in the shop since a Smart Sense Converter went out and they cant find one, engine just was shutting down whenever it felt like it while driving)...
Congrats on the Explorer, Robskater! Just to clarify, is your Explorer or your F-150 at the dealership right now? Let me know; I'll do what I can to help.

Crystal

Old 10-28-2015, 01:56 PM
Robskater
Freshman User
I got the F150 back this week. The part appeared from somewhere. So far so good.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:28 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
I got the F150 back this week. The part appeared from somewhere. So far so good.
I'm glad to hear that the part arrived, Robskater! How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

Old 10-28-2015, 04:31 PM
Robskater
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FordService
I'm glad to hear that the part arrived, Robskater! How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal
3022 at the time of failure. They had it 10 days. I have 3080 or so on it now.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:36 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
3022 at the time of failure. They had it 10 days. I have 3080 or so on it now.
I'm glad you've been reunited with your truck, Robskater. If you need any assistance in the future, I'll be here.

Crystal

Old 09-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Thumbs up

ONE YEAR UPDATE:

So we've had our 2016 Sport for about a year and I thought I'd give some feedback. Overall we are VERY happy with it. It is a pleasure to drive and we are really happy that we went with the Sport model. I have received a ton of positive feed back on the appearance, and even non ford fans say what a gorgeous vehicle it is.

The Good:

-The 3.5 EcoBoost is a POWER HOUSE. Moves the vehicle with little effort and can get you into a heap of trouble in a hurry (I had it up to 190 km/h without even realizing it) It will blow the doors off most vehicles

-Fuel economy is impressive for having so much power

-Interior is comfy and practical. Lots of room, and plenty of legroom.

-Some nice features are the auto dimming mirrors (Driver side mirror dimming is a brilliant idea for when people are passing you)

-Handles quite well for a decent sized SUV.

Some Faults/oversights:

-The stereo system sounds amazing but the Bluetooth SUCKS with an iPhone. Unable to access playlists/albums from the touchscreen. You have to do it from your phone which is annoying

-Lack of a turbo boost gauge... Being a gear head this Is something I would like to see... You can customize your dash display, but no boost gauge.

The Bad:

-Centre caps are flaking, and will need to be replaced. Hopefully warranty will cover this.

I would highly recommend one! Great family vehicle!!!

Old 09-12-2016, 02:55 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Island'r
ONE YEAR UPDATE:

So we've had our 2016 Sport for about a year and I thought I'd give some feedback. Overall we are VERY happy with it. It is a pleasure to drive and we are really happy that we went with the Sport model. I have received a ton of positive feed back on the appearance, and even non ford fans say what a gorgeous vehicle it is.

The Good:

-The 3.5 EcoBoost is a POWER HOUSE. Moves the vehicle with little effort and can get you into a heap of trouble in a hurry (I had it up to 190 km/h without even realizing it) It will blow the doors off most vehicles

-Fuel economy is impressive for having so much power

-Interior is comfy and practical. Lots of room, and plenty of legroom.

-Some nice features are the auto dimming mirrors (Driver side mirror dimming is a brilliant idea for when people are passing you)

-Handles quite well for a decent sized SUV.

Some Faults/oversights:

-The stereo system sounds amazing but the Bluetooth SUCKS with an iPhone. Unable to access playlists/albums from the touchscreen. You have to do it from your phone which is annoying

-Lack of a turbo boost gauge... Being a gear head this Is something I would like to see... You can customize your dash display, but no boost gauge.

The Bad:

-Centre caps are flaking, and will need to be replaced. Hopefully warranty will cover this.

I would highly recommend one! Great family vehicle!!!
Glad to hear you're happy with it. Hope it serves you well for years to come!
As the owner of a 2014 Sport I agree with most of your "Good" features. But I do have a few extra items to add to the "Bad and Ugly" list - I find the seats to be far from comfortable on long (over 2 hrs.) trips. Too hard and lacking in lateral support.
Ground clearance is a joke. With less than 6 inches clearance to the front air dam if you pull up to a wheel stop in a parking lot, you'll hear a $260 noise as you back away. I've heard it twice. It's a shame to have such poor ground clearance on a vehicle that has such a great all wheel drive system. In the winter it's like driving a perpetual snow plow.
Don't know if they've improved things in the later models but if you punch it in first gear you'll discover the definition of severe torque steer. If you do it on a wet road, well, just don't!
Right now I'm just waiting for the 2017 F150's to come out then it's good bye to the Explorer!

Old 09-12-2016, 07:29 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
Glad to hear you're happy with it. Hope it serves you well for years to come!
As the owner of a 2014 Sport I agree with most of your "Good" features. But I do have a few extra items to add to the "Bad and Ugly" list - I find the seats to be far from comfortable on long (over 2 hrs.) trips. Too hard and lacking in lateral support.
Ground clearance is a joke. With less than 6 inches clearance to the front air dam if you pull up to a wheel stop in a parking lot, you'll hear a $260 noise as you back away. I've heard it twice. It's a shame to have such poor ground clearance on a vehicle that has such a great all wheel drive system. In the winter it's like driving a perpetual snow plow.
Don't know if they've improved things in the later models but if you punch it in first gear you'll discover the definition of severe torque steer. If you do it on a wet road, well, just don't!
Right now I'm just waiting for the 2017 F150's to come out then it's good bye to the Explorer!
Yes I agree the seats are not the comfiest Ive ever sat in. I took it on a 4 hour trip shortly after buying it and I had to adjust my seat several times to get comfortable.... There is not a lot of cushion to them. My truck actually has some of the comfiest seats Ive ever had.

Ground clearance hasn't been an issue for me. The lower soft rubber spoiler will drag on curbs but no damage has been caused.

And yes, if you punch it in any gear you'd better be prepared to correct the torque steer if you don't wanna end up in the cabbage...

Old 09-14-2016, 03:54 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
re ground clearance -
it is a SPORT model and the handling comes from having a low center of gravity
(but I don't mean low as in low weight because it is heavy @ 5k lbs or so )

but still scoots and 'feels' substantial !

a boost gauge to me would be of little use - and besides - you'd need two as in twin-turbo

really like th sport and looked at trading when the lease expired, but no sport models and not enough difference so we bought the one we had.
Still going strong!

Old 09-14-2016, 05:53 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We picked up a '13 limited AWD a month ago. My wife loves it. Smooth as hell on the highway. I wanted a Sport, but couldn't justify the extra $7k more for the sport. And my wife would probably never spool up the turbos! And that is where the DI/turbo motors have issues. Putt around in one and they will carbon up fast! Our '13 has all the features of the sport minus the auto park and adaptive cruise control. Other than that it is loaded!

Good luck with your Sport. You should be very happy. Just wind that thing up once in a while to blow it out and all should be good!

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying New Explorer.... Advice?