Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

F150 vs Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Killer Kowalski
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked at the Chevy Silverado before I went with my f-150. The deal breaker for me was with the crew cab configuration there just wasn't as much room in the back or head height it felt almost closterphobic to me. But the silverados were cheaper than the ford and are a nice truck but I don't think there quite on the same level as the ford you get what you pay for.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Truckpilot1329
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A movement that was missing in the Ram passenger seat was the ability to tilt
the front of the seat up and down, in relation to the back of the seat. If you want to have support under your leg,
behind the knee so the thigh is supported, this is a big deal.

If you have the 10 way seat in your truck, try adjusting this feature to where it's
too low in front, then think about your seat being like this all the time.
Then you'll appreciate the feature.

Of course, if you're young enough, you could sit on a wooden box in your F150 and be happy.

My point to the OP in the original letter, was to check all the variables in the different trucks to see if there is a deal breaker.

When I started my research in 2011, the 4x4 F150 didn't have a transfer case with the
AWD position in the model I wanted, which Ram and GM did have. Ford added that transfer case in 2012, and
I then bought one.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:37 PM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
There still needs to be pan/rotate, tilt side to side, and invert seat functions. That should make 22.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:14 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I like all things Ford better, but I will say the GM 6.2L & 8 speed transmission are nice.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:16 PM
dlcorbett
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Today i drove a ram 1500 with the v6 to help determine my next truck so now i can honestly compare the three. The first thing that stuck out on the ram was how good the steering wheel leather felt, buttery smooth. Good sightlines but the seat felt a bit low. Also didnt like the sw didnt telescope but oh well. The ride was the best balanced of the three, firmer than the chevys but less so than the f150, but i enjoyed the f150s highway ride the best. The ram also handled corners the best but chevy has best steering feel. Ford is inbetween on this. Driver comfort def to ford but only because of the chevys awkward seating position, but thise seats are the best. In all this is gonna be hard so it seems its gonna go to price. I wish ford had similar packages to the ram and chevy, i can spec at out the ram exact ly how i want for 40k, but cant do so with the ford, but they offer better incentive s. But the gmc sierra is also running good incentives. Decisions decisions, i am def gonna drive the ford again because i think its winning the best balance of the three. Thoughts?

Old 08-12-2015, 10:35 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
When I've narrowed down my choices I look at what's most American.

Ram - Owned by a foreign company, some trucks built in Mexico & some built in Michigan.
Chevy - an American company, trucks built in Mexico.
Ford - American Company, Trucks made in America.

I'm sending my American dollars to an American company who builds American trucks in America. That's just me.

The list from Kogod School of Business.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:00 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I'm a Ford guy for sure and that's how it's going to stay till they let me down through poor quality and or poor service.

However, If I were NOT a loyalist, I'd do a little more research and see who has the best reliability ratings for a particular size engine that I wanted.

Then I'd have to consider the number of miles that I anticipate driving over a given period of time and compare factory warranty coverage to my intended use.

The trucks point of origin and overall parts content is important to me as well. In this instance, I'd quickly narrow my list to the Tundra and the F-150.

Happy hunting!

Old 08-13-2015, 08:00 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
When I've narrowed down my choices I look at what's most American.

I'm sending my American dollars to an American company who builds American trucks in America. That's just me.
Great, now us Canadians can't feel good about buying pickup trucks.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I really don't care about the brand name on the truck, I think everyone makes a pretty good product these days. The company could also be owned by little green men living on Mars for all I care. I'm interested in the best tool for the job at the best deal I can get, and that's what I would recommend.

The OP could probably have his needs satisfied by virtually any truck on the market at the moment. Test driving all of them and making a decision of what works the best for you is probably your best bet. Leave any brand loyalty at the door, because that does absolutely NOTHING for you when it comes time to make the payment or deal with a problem.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:07 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
that does absolutely NOTHING for you when it comes time to make the payment or deal with a problem
I have to disagree, unless you have a dealership that sells all three. When you have a good relationship with your selling dealership and salesman you can have a much better experience if something should ever happen. You also are more likely to be treated well upfront in the purchasing process and get genuine assistance picking the smartest rebate packages. I've done some pretty crazy things to help out loyal customers. This does require a more career orientated and customer service focused salesperson, but I think I make myself very worthwhile even if a Ford cost more than a Ram and do make it easier if you have a problem.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:24 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Great, now us Canadians can't feel good about buying pickup trucks.
My Edge was built in Canada. I'll make sure my next one is built there so it all equals out.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:40 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Thanks xr7gt390, we make a good team.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:35 PM
dlcorbett
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree, brand loyalty is null and void nowadays. These trucks pretty much mastered all niches of vehicles to the pt its all personal preference unless ur that much a die-hard. Seeing as my truck would be a daily driver, thats what makes my decision harder as it comes down to smaller details.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
I have to disagree, unless you have a dealership that sells all three. When you have a good relationship with your selling dealership and salesman you can have a much better experience if something should ever happen. You also are more likely to be treated well upfront in the purchasing process and get genuine assistance picking the smartest rebate packages. I've done some pretty crazy things to help out loyal customers. This does require a more career orientated and customer service focused salesperson, but I think I make myself very worthwhile even if a Ford cost more than a Ram and do make it easier if you have a problem.
There's an important distinction, I'm not talking about a business relationship you may have with your local dealer. I'm talking about buying a Ford for the sake of buying a Ford. Which does nothing for your bottom line when something breaks.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:51 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I do have to agree that any truck will meet the average user's needs, if not, the GSA lots and the city motor pools wouldn't be littered with offerings from all three Detroit truck builders.

However, I can walk into my dealer's show room right now and practically write my deal with the sales manager while he's throwing the sales person a bone for the sale. That's loyalty working both ways.

Quick Reply: F150 vs Silverado