Sponsored by:

c or b or f code rear springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 09:42 PM
icecold
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c or b or f code rear springs

so I installed x code springs up front as I have a heavy bumper and winch,now I'm getting ready to tackle the rears.
so after tons of reading I need to make a decision,i don't want it to ride like a tank but with the x springs up front id think that the c codes may provide the best balance.so anyone install c codes and think the ride was too harsh?im planning on doing the b code mod and adding to the c codes to get the truck leveled out

Old 08-09-2015, 01:21 AM
W4n7s0m3
Junior User
I just put on X/C-XL from ATS and they are solid. I am not sure if I would go F in the rear. C-XL on the rear is bouncy with out trailer weight. I have air bags to level out the truck under weight and have the shocks set to 9. When I get going with out a TT it feels like the rear end is hammering away like a High School QB on Prom night!

Old 08-09-2015, 05:35 AM
lonepalm
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have X's up front and did B codes (minus the overload leaf) out back. I went with F-350 4 inch blocks rather than doing the spring mod. I am nearly level, only a quarter inch higher in the rear. I went with that combo because I got them free from a friend who owns a scrap yard. The ride is firm but very comfortable, nothing like a pickup with the same springs. My 07 crew cab F-350 6.0 needs at least 1000 lbs in the bed before it rides as smoothly as the Ex.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with the C-modded from ATS. You will not be disappointed!

Old 08-09-2015, 09:38 AM
icecold
Mountain Pass
i was in contact with ats and have no issues ordering from them,but i have the luxery of driving close to the old tousley parts every day so i can get factory parts reasonable with no shipping,only tax.
my main concerns are how the ride will be empty and that the back is higher than the front.also that it drives straight and true without the dreaded excursion wander.
also dont want the truck to feel really stiff up front with the x codes and be soft and spongy in the rear.

from what i remember the ats c codes are rated at less weight than the ford c codes ,im concerned that modding a ford c code pack will stiffen it up more and the ride empty wiil be hidous.

so right now my choices are
1)ford c codes/f350 block
2)ford c codes/modded like b's/excursion block
3)ford b codes/modded/excursion block
4)ats c/xl kit/excursion block
5)ford f codes/f350 block
from what i can tell the stiffness of the spring pacs would be as follows
ford b codes/350 block
ford b codes modded/ex block
ats kit
ford c codes/f350 block
ford c codes modded//ex block
i really am leaning to the c codes/f350 block but fould like some more feedback
thanks
pete

Old 08-09-2015, 05:43 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
When doing the "Mod" to these rear springs that adds the two SHORTEST EX leaves from the bottom of the factory EX pack the spring rate doesn't really change much at all. The short leaves are being used in this scenario as spacers to thicken up the pack more than adding to the spring rate, and as short as they are I doubt that they are adding much rate at all. When doing the 'mod" to Super Duty pickup rear springs with the very thick bottom plate/leaf it may actually smooth the ride out some as it's those bottom shorter leaves that ride against the bottom plate to activate the second stage of the dual rate spring pack. With the short leaves just above the bottom plate it will take more compression to flatten the main pack down against the plate, possibly easing into that dual rate step more softly.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:20 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by icecold
so I installed x code springs up front as I have a heavy bumper and winch,now I'm getting ready to tackle the rears.
so after tons of reading I need to make a decision,i don't want it to ride like a tank but with the x springs up front id think that the c codes may provide the best balance.so anyone install c codes and think the ride was too harsh?im planning on doing the b code mod and adding to the c codes to get the truck leveled out
I did a lot of spring rate research, my vote would be...

1. SRW C
2. B
3. F

If the C's are DRW...
1. B
2. DRW C
3. F

Old 08-10-2015, 01:51 PM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I have C code DRW springs in back of X. I like them alot. I initially had issues with them being too bouncy. Felt like I was driving a waterbed, when I hit speed bumps. Added some good 5100 shocks and firmed up just right.

My opinion is since X is not a truck and does not have a light bed, truck springs react differently. Go with heaviest spring available and adjust ride with shocks. The C code DRW springs will ride very good on an X. Kind of like a truck with a 1000 pounds in bed.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:00 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by rock2610d
I have C code DRW springs in back of X. I like them alot. I initially had issues with them being too bouncy. Felt like I was driving a waterbed, when I hit speed bumps. Added some good 5100 shocks and firmed up just right.

My opinion is since X is not a truck and does not have a light bed, truck springs react differently. Go with heaviest spring available and adjust ride with shocks. The C code DRW springs will ride very good on an X. Kind of like a truck with a 1000 pounds in bed.
Somewhere on FTE is my spreadsheet and it lists the theoretical transitions from primary to the secondary spring rates, that and the ratio of the two help determine ride quality (2:1 is favorable). Also, if you go up in spring rate, you usually need less damping and vice versa. The potentially confusing part is the pick up springs effectively have two rates where the Ex spring is more or less fixed. The B spring transitions the earliest, the DRW C transitions the latest...whichever spring you go with, will be an improvement over stock!

Old 08-10-2015, 05:36 PM
icecold
Mountain Pass
anyone able to point me to the srw c code part number?

I never knew there is a different c code for srw compared to drw or is the difference with the top overload spring?

thanks
pete

Old 08-10-2015, 06:22 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My ATS C/XL with rancho 9000 set to mid level are perfect for an unloaded Excursion. When loaded I crank them to 9 and don't need any other leveling help. I like them.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-10-2015, 06:35 PM
icecold
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
My ATS C/XL with rancho 9000 set to mid level are perfect for an unloaded Excursion. When loaded I crank them to 9 and don't need any other leveling help. I like them.
I have a quote from ats,the springs he quoted me were his ats-c mod springs rated for 3800lb per spring.

do you know if that is what you have as the aats c/xl is throwing me off

thanks
pete

Old 08-10-2015, 06:45 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by icecold
anyone able to point me to the srw c code part number?

I never knew there is a different c code for srw compared to drw or is the difference with the top overload spring?

thanks
pete
Go here for SRW C codes. New Springs! by RobRoss | Ford-Trucks.com

Old 08-10-2015, 06:45 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I called and asked a lot of those questions when I purchased. Junior worked with me and had the answers. I honestly can't remember the ratings though. If I had it to do again I would request the same springs and ask for the sound reduction material between the added springs. When they add them its not between the new springs and the original pack. Mine stopped squeaking, but for a while after install they made some sounds.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:12 PM
W4n7s0m3
Junior User
I ordered the C-XL mod as well from Junior. Its just the SRW C springs with an added leaf to help level out with the front X codes. If you don't get the extra leaf on the C the back is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter then the X springs on the front. I followed 05MilMachine build but added the air bags.

Quick Reply: c or b or f code rear springs