1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Let there be light...

Old 08-07-2015, 10:24 AM
miihere24
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let there be light...

Now that the truck is all up and running and NOT overheating thanks to y'all helping, I now need to solve the lights issue that was created by the mechanic who fixed the turn signal cam and in turn created more issues.

My brake lights aren't working anymore. Here is what happens:

If i turn my hazards on they don't blink in the back, but they do blink on the front blinkers. Then when I press the brake the front blinkers stop blinking and become solidly lit and still no brake lights in the back.

Hazards off, I can turn each blinker left and right and all works normal in both the front and back.

Hazards off, pressing the brake I turn my left blinker on and the right brake works.

Hazards off, pressing the brake I turn my right blinker on and only the blinker works, no brake lights.

Hazards off, no blinkers on, pressing the brake and nothing happens.

Hazards off, no blinkers, I turn on the headlights and all the parking lights come on, including the ones in the back.

I changed the stop lamp fuse and that didn't help. I assume because the lights turn on when I turn the blinkers on and when the parking lights are on that the bulbs are still good.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-07-2015, 11:01 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Take it back to the place that screwed the pooch.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:29 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Take it back to the place that screwed the pooch.
2X Arctic. Sounds like their Tech put in one of those "cam kits" instead of replacing the whole switch. And didn't get it right. I've never done it that way. From what I hear, that way is a real beeahch. Prolly because a person has to have all the terminals in their correctly when He tightens it up. I'd just replace the whole switch and be done with it. Note, use the wires from the old switch to pull the wires from the new switch down the inside of the column.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:17 PM
miihere24
Senior User
While that would be ideal, his shop is about 40 minutes away and I would undoubtedly be pulled over half a dozen times. Not to mention he's also the one that couldn't diagnose my overheating issue and without even looking at it you all did it via online!

Do you mean I should get this one?

More Information for OE PRO SM41F

Old 08-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your rear brake lights function through the turn signal switch. Thus since the switch is messed up(contacts not closed or set in the right position) the rear lights will not function as needed.

Yup, just buy the switch and install it. Just need to remove steering wheel and pull wires through. Not really a difficult job, just make a diaghram of your wire colors and make sure to match them back up at the plug.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:09 PM
miihere24
Senior User
That makes sense.

My only concern with this job is that he replaced the turn signal CAM and I know he had to go through a few of them. If he wired it up wrong then me making a diagram of where they are now will just be rewiring them the wrong way again.

I'll Google a diagram, but would it be pretty standard?

Old 08-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 08-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
It looks like you have a '70, I would use this one. http://www.fordification.com/tech/wi...-70_master.jpg

Old 08-07-2015, 03:30 PM
miihere24
Senior User
Thanks!

Oh my. I can't tell if having more beer or less beer is going to make that schematic make sense. (:

Old 08-07-2015, 03:33 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More beer makes it worse but it also gives you more confidence so it's a wash.

I had a similar issue when I put in a new turn signal switch harness. All kinds of weird stuff going on with the lights. It turned out that the connectors at the switch plastic can be physically moved. They'll pivot where they're riveted into the plastic. A couple of mine were touching so when I'd turn one signal the other side would blink or both would blink and brake lights would blink. I was dumbfounded. Most of the time I'm just dumb so when I became dumbfounded I was really blown away.

Anyway, take off the steering wheel (probably need a steering wheel puller) and look in there at the little brass connectors on the end of each wire and make sure they're not touching one another. If they are just push them to one side or another until they're no longer touching.

BTW welcome to working on old POS trucks. You've just scratched the surface.

Oh, and did you ever cut open your old radiator to see what the problem was?

Old 08-07-2015, 03:49 PM
miihere24
Senior User
Originally Posted by qman
More beer makes it worse but it also gives you more confidence so it's a wash.

I had a similar issue when I put in a new turn signal switch harness. All kinds of weird stuff going on with the lights. It turned out that the connectors at the switch plastic can be physically moved. They'll pivot where they're riveted into the plastic. A couple of mine were touching so when I'd turn one signal the other side would blink or both would blink and brake lights would blink. I was dumbfounded. Most of the time I'm just dumb so when I became dumbfounded I was really blown away.

Anyway, take off the steering wheel (probably need a steering wheel puller) and look in there at the little brass connectors on the end of each wire and make sure they're not touching one another. If they are just push them to one side or another until they're no longer touching.

BTW welcome to working on old POS trucks. You've just scratched the surface.

Oh, and did you ever cut open your old radiator to see what the problem was?
More beer it is.

Thankfully the steering wheel comes out pretty easy; no puller needed. I had it off about a month ago to see about the horn issue. I'll take a look at what you're suggesting. I could do without blinkers, but brake lights I for sure need.

I did not cut open the other radiator. I gave it to the radiator shop. Glad to have gotten that problem solved!

Old 08-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
The area you want to look at is between the "WINDSHIELD WIPER & WASHER SWITCH" and the "IGNITION SWITCH" that's the turnsignals. I don't know why it's not labeled. For the brake lights look for wires 810, 810A, 282, 283, 284.
The turn signal switch is wires in the column are 2, 3, 44, 5, 9 & 10
I how this helps.

If you turn on the wipers and the horn blows, you've had too much beer.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:56 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
If you turn on the wipers and the horn blows, you've had too much beer.
Dude you can't laugh at your own s**t. This is against the law.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:57 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by miihere24
Thankfully the steering wheel comes out pretty easy; no puller needed.
I don't think you should be thankful of this. The steering wheel should not come out pretty easy. Every time I take mine out and put it back in I need a puller to get it back out.

Am I right on this guys or am I tightening mine too much when putting it back?

Old 08-07-2015, 04:01 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by qman
Dude you can't laugh at your own s**t. This is against the law.
It's like a laugh track on a sit com.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let there be light...