1966 - 1977 Early Broncos  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie to Broncos, thoughts on this one and general advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 03:27 AM
OtisNYC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie to Broncos, thoughts on this one and general advice?

Hi All,

I'm not all that mechanically inclined, and based in the NYC area where prices of just about everything seem high. I have lusted after one of these cards for years, after seeing a beautiful restoration on the road in my town one day.

In any event, I started looking in recent weeks. Prices seem to be all over the map (I've seen these rank find from 5k all the way up to 70k -- still don't understand what makes some worth so much more??). However it seems like there is a "sweet spot" in the 20-30k range for ones that are already nicely restored or otherwise super clean.

I came across this one locally, a 1974 asking 30k (which I believe I could get for more like 26k or less) -- it looks incredibly clean for a 40+ year old vehicle based on these and some other pics the seller sent me:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5130331970.html

Is this fair value?

Also, in terms of work, again I'm brand new to this and learning so much, but primary requirement would be to install a family roll cage (I have two young girls, another child on the way!) and safety equipment like modern seat belts, and any other rear seat mod that would be needed to install a booster seat or car seat. What do these kinds of mods cost if done by a reputable shop? (I'd have to find a place locally here on Long Island).

Also, and I realize this is probably a stupid question, but does the hardtop simply come off? I see lots of references to these being "cut" or "uncut" -- is that a reference to a need to cut off the top? The specimen I saw on the road years ago also had the doors off, I think, and it looked like a blast.

Otherwise, a bit of lift seems like it would be a great touch, and perhaps some sound system upgrades (I love the XM radio we have in our main car, couldn't live without it).

Any other mods that are common or would be needed for a vehicle that at least appears to be this clean?

At this price point, should I run away and find some better value? Again, I'm no mechanic and would have to outsource most of the work, so for someone like me, a little more spend up front for a cleaner specimen may be the right approach.

Thanks for any and all info you've got for a newbie!

Otis

Old 08-06-2015, 03:40 AM
OtisNYC
New User
The seller tells me that some goodies were added but it was left as original as possible--his view is that the main points of concern have been done, undercoating, Rhino lining, new wiring harness, etc.

His suggestion is that mods he would consider (he is selling the vehicle for a friend) would be the family cage, bigger tires and some lift, a soft top/bikini top, disc brakes, headers, etc.

Thanks in advance for your collective guidance!

Otis

Old 08-06-2015, 10:47 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Same ol Q...

We have these so often we need to point folks out to a 'stickie'.

Prices always depend on location (urban, rural, big city, small, etc, ad infinitum). Sale amount depend on customer and seller.

Around here (suburban/rural W. MA) anything that runs and has a lill interest (ie sports, suv, convertible, V8, older, etc) is 2-3K$. That seems to be a base for a pretty wide area of the country. Others will pipe in I hope.

Since the 90's it seems the bronk became a big deal. Internet went (as they say) viral w/them. That drove up interest/popularity/price. Some on the net became restorers/collecters driving the price up more (selling 'finished' vehicles, supplying for ad men & Hollywood, dealing to yuppies, hording prts). My preference is "a good deal" ie one in poor shape (ie needs total restoration) that I can build from the ground up to my own specs. This doesn't help you on price but they can range (now) in that which you've quoted. The one you posted could be anywhere from $6 - 12, 000 I'd say. In your area (NYC) add 2 - 5,000$ I guess.

Ask 3 professionals (insurance guys who specialize in these, auto body or national sales firms) and you'll get more accuracy than many of us here. B 4 buying bring a mechanic U trust and look it over. If he can't tell if it wuz a body off restor. That's trouble (not expert enuff guy). Cuz U can't C one of the many typical rust areas on these rigs (over the gas tank).
Keep talkin, so we can...

Old 08-06-2015, 02:24 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
The top is bolted down. Cut vs. Uncut is refering to the rear fenders.

There is a wealth of knowledge over on ClassicBroncos.com Forums - 66-77 Early Ford Bronco Discussion Forums

Old 08-06-2015, 09:07 PM
thirtytwovalve
New User
Clean truck, they're pretty simple. Price isn't too bad, if you're not very mechanically inclined it's not a bad rig to learn on. They're really simple and with all the new parts it seems like a good match for you. I'd recommend getting a compression test by a mechanic to make sure the motor is in good shape. Aside from that get one and enjoy it, make sure youve got some friends to help with the top (awkward and sort of heavy to take off) and join up on classicbroncos.com

Old 08-08-2015, 12:33 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts
X2 on we are far and few between here on the EB dept, but X2 on the info stated so far.

Nice Bronco you located, 30k or even 26K wow, but is reads like a complete restoration. Why are they worth so much, they are few and far between and such a cool vehicle to own. Beats a "jeep wave" any day. lol

FYI setting for 18 years in a show room is not the best for any vehicle. Seals dry out, rubber lines get brittle, valves stick...fuel gets stale, fuel tanks rust, carbs dry out. But at the price I doubt it has any issues, and for that price it should NOT have any issues.

Also old vehicles like these to not have crumple zones, air bags, ABS, rack and pinion type steering/handling. Heck it might not even have a 3 point seat belt system in the front or back, an easy mod. Also some aftermarket high dollar insurance is in order for that rig, something like Haggerty.

But it you have the EB bug, locate some local EB clubs off the web and buddy up and learn all you can, so you can shop educated.

Yes the top un bolts, the doors can come off and the fun begins.

Attached Images   
Old 08-09-2015, 01:15 PM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
That's a really nice Bronco, but is missing some things I'd want if spending that kind of money....

Disc brakes, and for $30,000 disc brakes all around!
Rear locker and front limited slip differentials
A 3 1/2" to 5 1/2" lift kit (Wild Horses would be my preferences)
Fuel injection

Old 08-09-2015, 09:31 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
As was stated, if you want a vehicle to learn mechanics on an older truck like a Bronco is a good teacher. But if you're not mechanically inclined and want to stay that way, old vehicles aren't necessarily your friend. They can be reliable, but generally they do take more attention than new vehicles.

As far as family safety, as has been noted there are a lot of safety features that have been added in the last 40 - 50 years(!), so there's really no way an early Bronco is going to be the equivalent of a new vehicle. But put good disk brakes, high backed seats, a family cage and 3 point harnesses in it and it's not bad. I don't have a problem putting my family in one like that.

However, 4 people is the max, so if you're about to have your third child, as much as I hate to steer any one away from early Broncos, it might not be your best choice (assuming your spouse is also coming along). Unfortunately there aren't a lot of great option in the Bronco's class that do seat 5, but the Bronco certainly won't (you can squeeze 3 across a rear bench, but you won't have the high backed seats then, and probably wouldn't have a 3 point in the middle position, and I don't think you could even do the squeeze very well with one or more car seats).

Old 08-09-2015, 10:56 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
You can fit a wagoneer middle seat in the front for a 5th spot. My 6 year old fits in there pretty well.

Plus it has the added benefit of an arm rest.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:52 AM
sykanr0ng
Freshman User
If you are not interested in learning to work on your own vehicles you should be aware that it is getting harder to find mechanic shops that know how to work on older vehicles like early Broncos.
There is a newer member from Long Island over on classicbroncos.com that ended up sending hers to Conn. to find a competent mechanic, after having major problems with a more local shop.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by dclack
You can fit a wagoneer middle seat in the front for a 5th spot. My 6 year old fits in there pretty well.
Still no headrest (reduces / prevents neck injuries, especially in a rear end crash) or shoulder harness though. Those were both mandatory for me where my kids would be sitting.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:23 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
value purchasing

I like that idea & it's one of the 2 reasons I use the net.

Contact CB on-line and hook up with a local for a realistic answer on pricing the specific vehicle you've been lookin at. Bring a mechanic w/U on 'closing' day if it's one U want.

They're too small for a family (but I purchased mine cuz it wuz bigger than a 'heep' & IH wuz going outta biz - no more model 800 produced). But still gets in tighter places than a p/u. And had enuff room for my contracting tools in the back. The driving position is like sitting @ ur kitchen table - not a daily driver for me (I'm over 60 y/o) but mine's not a rec vehicle - it's a work 'truck'. If I had the money I'd 'chop' the top' 6 inches. I've basiclly been modin it for skiddin logs to the local mill so workin toward a wheeler that makes money - they're multipurpose SFV (small farm vehicles). And multipurpose is not so good at a single purpose (crawler, mudder, wheeler type) so require "Personalizing".

Let us know how U do-