6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Rancho 9000 Shocks question for those who tow

Old 08-05-2015, 08:10 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rancho 9000 Shocks question for those who tow

The last time I had Rancho 9000 shocks on my truck is was a 2013 F150 FX4. They were installed as part of the Rancho Level up kit. I pretty much found the ride that I preferred and never made any adjustments after that point.

Now I have them installed on my F350 FX4 Dually and looking at getting ready to head out with the RV here soon for a couple of trips. Question is, do you who also have the Rancho 9000 shocks adjust them for a firmer ride or leave things where they are for everyday driving?

If you do change the setting, what do you bump them up to? I think I am currently running 2 in front and 1 in the rear. But, I would have to double check those settings to be sure. However, for a big heavy dually it rides great where it is set.

Or has anyone read or received any impute as to what Rancho recommends for towing a 5th wheel?

Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jonrjen
The last time I had Rancho 9000 shocks on my truck is was a 2013 F150 FX4. They were installed as part of the Rancho Level up kit. I pretty much found the ride that I preferred and never made any adjustments after that point.

Now I have them installed on my F350 FX4 Dually and looking at getting ready to head out with the RV here soon for a couple of trips. Question is, do you who also have the Rancho 9000 shocks adjust them for a firmer ride or leave things where they are for everyday driving?

If you do change the setting, what do you bump them up to? I think I am currently running 2 in front and 1 in the rear. But, I would have to double check those settings to be sure. However, for a big heavy dually it rides great where it is set.

Or has anyone read or received any impute as to what Rancho recommends for towing a 5th wheel?
I change mine all the time as I have the wireless controller kit..

the kit settings are (front/back)

highway 8/6
sport 6/6
towing 6/8
offroad 4/6 (I think)

and then you can make your own custom setting..

I can tell the difference, even towing the FW

if I had to do this manually (like when I had my 08 dually), I wold never change them

Old 08-05-2015, 09:08 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
I don't mind the crawling down to do a shock readjustment. Gives me a chance to also take a look under the truck, check tire wear, and a little me time....LOL!!!!

Old 08-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jonrjen- I agree with the "me time" under the truck. It is peaceful down there and you can look around and learn a lot. As I have gotten older I use the creeper on the shop floor much more often.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:24 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I have Rancho 9000s on my pickup. I set them to somewhere around 5 or 6 maybe? I haven't messed with them after that. Too much horsing around IMO

Old 08-05-2015, 12:56 PM
auburngrad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much improved is the daily driving with these on?

I am thinkin these are just what I want, since I can get a smoother ride daily, and still tow anything I need.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:46 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by auburngrad
How much improved is the daily driving with these on?

I am thinkin these are just what I want, since I can get a smoother ride daily, and still tow anything I need.

Ride on one of these is very subjective to the individual owner. With that disclaimer being placed out there, I am extremely pleased with the ride of the truck with the Rancho 9000 shocks. I have mine set at a very low number for a soft dampening and rebound. It sounds like many members here love to be more in the number 6 range which to me feels very OEM ride on new factory shocks.

One thing about the Rancho shocks is that you can buy them and give them some road and seat time to make sure your happy with your purchase. If you find that they are not for you, Rancho will allow you to return them no questions asked. That shows pretty good faith in their product if you ask me. You do need to remember not to throw away your old shocks in this scenario of course.

On past Superduty trucks I have installed the Bilstein shocks which I sound to be too firm for my liking.

Oh I forgot to mention that the Rancho shocks do have a limited lifetime warranty.

When I priced shopped the Rancho 9000 shocks I found RockAuto.com to be the better priced option at that time. Plus you can google search RockAuto and locate a coupon code for either a percentage off or free shipping. Many online retailers offer discount codes, but exempt shocks from the discount.

Rancho also a few times a year offers some pretty decent rebates on these shocks. So keep your eyes open and fingers on the keyboard for the best up to date deals.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:55 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn Jenne
Jonrjen- I agree with the "me time" under the truck. It is peaceful down there and you can look around and learn a lot. As I have gotten older I use the creeper on the shop floor much more often.
I use a two post lift and take a leisurely stroll.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:03 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 69cj
I use a two post lift and take a leisurely stroll.
I use high tech cardboard in order to have sufficient head and body clearance for my fat head and belly getting past the running boards. However, once properly located under the truck there is plenty of room to tip and maneuver a glass long neck bottle with ease.

It this is done after a major holiday meal it could become necessary to stack a few 2x6 boards and pull the front tires up on them.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:16 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jonrjen
I use high tech cardboard in order to have sufficient head and body clearance for my fat head and belly getting past the running boards. However, once properly located under the truck there is plenty of room to tip and maneuver a glass long neck bottle with ease.

It this is done after a major holiday meal it could become necessary to stack a few 2x6 boards and pull the front tires up on them.
Then try this trick! Side to the back of the running boards and then slide said belly under the truck near the dually fender, then you can slide the length of the cab under the truck between the boards and the frame to take a good long look!

Old 08-07-2015, 10:34 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
I had ranchos that came with my firestone kit. The adjustment was connected to the air bags though a port that replaced the **** adjuster.
More air in the bags, more damping in the shock, less air, less dampening.

Didn't feel it was doing enough so I removed the air option and put on the manual *****.
Tried that for awhile then just removed the r's and put on Bilsteins.