1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

The building of "Babe the Blue Ox"

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Good to see you pop in here, buddy. Thanks for the input. Do you think we would have less time involved in doing all this work with the engine in the truck, or in removing the core support. My fear is that the bolts and mounts won't separate like they should and then we'll be stuck without the mounts to get it all back together. That stuff isn't cheap to buy, much less available on the weekend when we will be doing this.

Honestly, I'm not too wild about the idea of lifting that thing up and out over the core support either. Makes the 'ol orifices pucker up just thinking about it!

If you make it out, we'll be thrilled to see you, but if you don't there's not going to be anyone there who can blame you. With what you have on your plate right now, you're busier than a one-armed paper hanger as it is!

It is gonna take quit a while to swap all the mods to the engine with it still in the truck. You gotta think about the head studs and valve springs and all that. There will only be room under the hood for two guys at the most to be getting stuff done. The trans should probably stay out until the up pipes and turbo stuff is done, which can't be done until the studs and springs along with other things are done. I'm just looking at the amount of things that have to be swapped over, and the amount of room there is gonna be to work in. There isn't anyway that three or four of these things can be getting done at the same time. just not enough room for that with the engine in the truck. Now, if you pull the engine to swap the parts, you are gonna have to add the time of removing the core support, which I don't think can be made up by making the parts swapping that much easier with the engine out. Honestly, the only way I can see this getting done in a weekend would be while a couple guys get the engine from the Mare ready while a couple more guys get the core support removed from the Ox and get that engine out. Two more guys could be doing the air bags and brakes and what ever needs done to the rear axle while two more can be getting the gauges in and the wiring done on those. Then, once all that is done, set the engine from the Mare in the Ox and start buttoning it all up. And even that is gonna be one heck of a lot of work for one weekend. I know you want the low mileage engine to stay in the truck Glenn, but for the time line you guys have to work in, I think it would be too much work to get done in two days. You could always do something with the lower mileage engine later. I think the engine from the Mare will give you good service for many more years.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:38 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
It would be nice to have one of these!

That's a lot to think about, Thanks Bill!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:47 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
I have a 30' long I beam in my shop at home with two trollies and chain hoists on them. With that I can pull a PSD up and out over the core support safely. I would be scared to try it with an engine hoist. I'm sure lots of people have done it, but there is a big chance of something going bad doing it that way, and usually, if it could go wrong, it would for me! LOL!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:53 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
IMO pulling a rad support is no biggie.then multiple people can work on engine stuff.then slightly mount rad support for a crew to mount the ice.of course we will need the Ac broken down really.

Its going to have to be orchestrated for multiple projects to happen at once.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:59 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordman67

Yes it will. The process and order in which things get done is going to be the key to this build in this time frame.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:27 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by ReBilld
Hey Guys! Sounds like you guys are getting a plan together! I don't know if I will be able to make it not. I guess if I show up, that's when I'll know. I can't really plan anything right now.
I want to give you guys my opinion on a couple things, and this is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth. I would be very weary of pulling an engine up and over the core support with an engine hoist. you have to get that thing VERY high to get it out, and at that height with a 1000 lb engine hanging from it, an engine hoist becomes very unstable. I would not feel comfortable doing that, and definitely don't want to see anyone get hurt. So, if you have to add the time to pull the core support Glenn, it may be worth looking at what Travis suggested, and just swapping engines. I know you wanted the parts on the low mileage engine, but the engine in the Mare is perfectly fine. I'm just looking at the time line and the amount of work that will have to be done in that short amount of time. Like I said, these are just my thoughts.
If there is anyway at all possible I will be there, but don't put me down as a "sure thing". I am just kind of taking things day by day right now.

After driving 600 miles yesterday, last night I didn't know what to say about all this. Except for a couple parts delivered to your house Nate its not to late to back out.

Bill, I see what your saying and don't really know what to say. I'm sure the Mare's motor is OK but what bothers me a little is it started using a little oil. I saw some in the IC pipes so I'm hoping James Barder will tell me if that turbo oil seal was a fault. When I get back to where the OX is I can start spraying the core mounts and whatever else. I've never had one out but can start looking around for more bolts to spray. Isn't the two frame mounts the worst?

Originally Posted by ReBilld
It is gonna take quit a while to swap all the mods to the engine with it still in the truck. You gotta think about the head studs and valve springs and all that. There will only be room under the hood for two guys at the most to be getting stuff done. The trans should probably stay out until the up pipes and turbo stuff is done, which can't be done until the studs and springs along with other things are done. I'm just looking at the amount of things that have to be swapped over, and the amount of room there is gonna be to work in. There isn't anyway that three or four of these things can be getting done at the same time. just not enough room for that with the engine in the truck. Now, if you pull the engine to swap the parts, you are gonna have to add the time of removing the core support, which I don't think can be made up by making the parts swapping that much easier with the engine out. Honestly, the only way I can see this getting done in a weekend would be while a couple guys get the engine from the Mare ready while a couple more guys get the core support removed from the Ox and get that engine out. Two more guys could be doing the air bags and brakes and what ever needs done to the rear axle while two more can be getting the gauges in and the wiring done on those. Then, once all that is done, set the engine from the Mare in the Ox and start buttoning it all up. And even that is gonna be one heck of a lot of work for one weekend. I know you want the low mileage engine to stay in the truck Glenn, but for the time line you guys have to work in, I think it would be too much work to get done in two days. You could always do something with the lower mileage engine later. I think the engine from the Mare will give you good service for many more years.

Front brakes are done, air bags are done but I don't know about the rear brakes. The rear axle IDK if it needs anything. The gauges might be toast? IDK I can play with them later. The OX came with boost, EGT and trans temp and my scan gauge is OK so I don't think we have to mess with gauges.

IMO pulling a rad support is no biggie.then multiple people can work on engine stuff.then slightly mount rad support for a crew to mount the ice.of course we will need the Ac broken down really.

What do you mean ac broken down? Probably the bending of the brackets I guess. I would love it if the 6.0 cooler could go in there also but if not I can mount it under behind the front bumper with shield on it like I had it before. Two years ago I had the 6.0 trans cooler mounted in there but took it out because I thought is was giving off to much heat to the radiator. I took it out of there and mounted it below but didn't see any difference in temps so IDK.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:52 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
I didn't know about the Mare's engine using oil. I'm not trying to be negative either. It can be done, just gonna be a lot of work which I know everyone already understands.
I think what Aaron means by breaking down the AC is that when removing the core support you're gonna have to let the charge out of the AC so the condenser can be removed. After it's all back together, you'll have to get the AC charged back up.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:53 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Spray the nuts on top inside the engine bay.those hold the support to the mounts.

When I say brake down.I'm thinking getting engine out we will have to have lines off to get in or out.

I say we swap everything over to the ox engine on the stand.we will pull rhe rad support to go in and out.its not a big deal. Andrew ,gabe,me,glenn,brian all have done the engine stuff.we can knock that stuff out.

I will bring this kick butt engine stand of my buddies. Its insanely awesome.my ft is on it right now.

We will move much faster on engine mods and efuel stuff out vs in.
Its going to happen! No going back. I may take off Friday and see if Gabe can leave early.
Maybe have ox engine on the stand Friday night mods done by noon sat.in sat night.run sun.

Who is on ic/ trans cooler detail?

Old 08-16-2015, 09:53 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I've used those ac cans from the auto parts store, is that what you mean? Probably not, just talking.

We can do the trans, injectors, exhaust, plenums, turbo stuff and IC. In AZ I can do the studs, springs and rods and anything else. I'm just trying to think about keeping it doable, if that's possible. I've done most of this stuff but I forget how I did it a few minutes later, LOL

I don't want you guys taking time off from work, I know that costs!

Old 08-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Krause
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I've used those ac cans from the auto parts store, is that what you mean? Probably not, just talking.

We can do the trans, injectors, exhaust, plenums, turbo stuff and IC. In AZ I can do the studs, springs and rods and anything else. I'm just trying to think about keeping it doable, if that's possible. I've done most of this stuff but I forget how I did it a few minutes later, LOL

I don't want you guys taking time off from work, I know that costs!
THe Rad core support comes out in 25 mins vs the hassle of everything else, lowering the truck to get the engine out etc etc.. I would recommend it. That said, if we vent the AC lines it will have to be recharged at a shop Glenn. On a completely evacuated system, the cans won't be very efficient in my opinion. But hey, thats just me, my AC dosnt work right now .

Bill is right, this is a lot of work to do in two days. I think it can be done. People will get tired and cranky and frustrated in close quarters. Everyone is already preparing for an organized workforce, if we take that as well as patience for everyone who we don't really know, and the inevitable differences in procedures we all use, I think it can be a big success.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:41 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
If the AC system is opened up, you need to pull vacuum on it to get the moisture out of the system. A new receiver/dryer should be installed also. If a vacuum isn't pulled, the AC won't function like it should.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:30 AM
91 Dually
Elder User

A/C isn't a problem. I have the vacuum pump, gauges, 134a, and assortment of o-rings needed to take care of that.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:56 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Nice Brian.Thomas also has that equipment.we will have that covered.
I have a killer engine stand here right now. I think with it on the stand one guy on each side doing studs and springs we can crank it out.

We will get it done!!!! Don't sweat it Glenn

Old 08-16-2015, 12:46 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Krause
THe Rad core support comes out in 25 mins vs the hassle of everything else, lowering the truck to get the engine out etc etc.. I would recommend it. That said, if we vent the AC lines it will have to be recharged at a shop Glenn. On a completely evacuated system, the cans won't be very efficient in my opinion. But hey, thats just me, my AC dosnt work right now .

Bill is right, this is a lot of work to do in two days. I think it can be done. People will get tired and cranky and frustrated in close quarters. Everyone is already preparing for an organized workforce, if we take that as well as patience for everyone who we don't really know, and the inevitable differences in procedures we all use, I think it can be a big success.

You are probably right, I just have to think in a more positive light.

Originally Posted by farmert
If the AC system is opened up, you need to pull vacuum on it to get the moisture out of the system. A new receiver/dryer should be installed also. If a vacuum isn't pulled, the AC won't function like it should.

Thanks Tom, where is a good place to get a receiver/dryer?

Originally Posted by 91 Dually
A/C isn't a problem. I have the vacuum pump, gauges, 134a, and assortment of o-rings needed to take care of that.

Great! Thanks

Nice Brian.Thomas also has that equipment.we will have that covered.
I have a killer engine stand here right now. I think with it on the stand one guy on each side doing studs and springs we can crank it out.

We will get it done!!!! Don't sweat it Glenn

Who, me sweat? LOL Is the engine stand the one in the picture you posted?

Old 08-16-2015, 02:01 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Is your windshield tinted Glenn?

Quick Reply: The building of "Babe the Blue Ox"