1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Droopy Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 05:02 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Droopy Door Handles

I bought a set of Hot Rod's spring kits that are supposed to take the droop out of your door handles.
I have installed one on the ps door and the handle is nice and straight now unfortunately there is a spring, wire and L bracket that runs over to the inside handle mounting screw. I got it all together and realized the wire now gets in the way of the window elevator risers. Has anyone installed these successfully and share your secret of now having this issue?

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I have not bought them yet, but they are on my list...

I will be following this thread to see what answers you get.

Here's the kit.

DOOR HANDLE REPAIR OUTSIDE 1948-1952

Old 08-03-2015, 05:17 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Yep Joe, thanks for the picture. I've had the kit for a while now and decided to try them out, its the wire between the spring and bracket thats interfering with the window travel. Thanks again for posting the picture.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisb56
Yep Joe, thanks for the picture. I've had the kit for a while now and decided to try them out, its the wire between the spring and bracket thats interfering with the window travel. Thanks again for posting the picture.
I hope you (we) get an answer...

Did the kit come with any instructions?

Old 08-03-2015, 06:43 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Joe, PM me your email address and I'll scan what I have and email it to you in a pdf.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:15 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,821 Likes on 1,829 Posts
So, it looks as if that kit is just a Band-Aid for the droopy door handles. There are several other "Band-Aid" type repairs that you could try. I know some others here that have taken the door handles out and put a twist in the square shaft to compensate for the droop.

The droop is caused by the wear on various pieces within the door handle mechanism starting from the shaft on the door handle. To really repair it you need to pull the mechanism, disassemble it, and carefully use a welder to build-up material on all of the edges that are worn down. I know this sounds tedious but its really not too bed if you take it slow.
Here's what I did earlier this year;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...le-repair.html

I had good luck with the drivers door.

Good luck
Bobby

Old 08-03-2015, 10:14 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Yes its a band aid and at this point it doesnt look like too good of one. I looked at your link. Did you have to remove the glass to do this?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:15 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
So, it looks as if that kit is just a Band-Aid for the droopy door handles. There are several other "Band-Aid" type repairs that you could try. I know some others here that have taken the door handles out and put a twist in the square shaft to compensate for the droop.

Bobby
Exactly. It seems to me this kit could result in door handles that point Up!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:20 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
No, you don't have to pull the door glass.
Its actually pretty easy. You remove the inner door panel, the inner door handle, the outer door handle, the 2 screws at the mechanism, the 3 screws and the inner handle and then hold your mouth just right and you can work it out of the access hole.

Its actually not to bad. The passenger side is a little tougher as it has a lock cylinder.

Bobby

Old 08-04-2015, 06:30 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Mine were repaired using JB Weld and some careful grinding. Fixed the issue and has endured. For a DD, welding would still be best.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:52 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Well you guys convinced me that there is no "free lunch", I decided to remove my latch assemblies and try to follow Bobby's and some other info I found on FTE and try to fix my latches. I've started on the passenger side and had a hard time getting it out. The lock assembly which never worked caused me alot of problems along with the window elevator assembly. But in the end its out. Only got one nasty injury which finally stopped bleeding so all in all not a bad time.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just pull mine up when I get out, and I have instructed my wife to do the same. They don't fall down while driving, just when I open the door, they don't return to center. Just my approach to a minor irritant. Lol

Old 08-04-2015, 10:10 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
I didn't even consider the JB Weld as an alternative. That would be easier to manipulate and mold to build-up the worn areas.
The passenger side is harder because of the door lock mechanism. If you can get that handled the driver's side will be snap.
So, a blood sacrifice to the Ford Truck gods....its all part of the system.

I used to be able to "pull my handles" up after opening, but it finally got so worn that I really had to slam the door to get it to close right and that started creating other issues.

Good luck with it, its worth the little bit of aggravation

Bobby

Old 08-04-2015, 11:09 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Skalywag
I just pull mine up when I get out, and I have instructed my wife to do the same. They don't fall down while driving, just when I open the door, they don't return to center. Just my approach to a minor irritant. Lol
That may be due to the handle itself. If you take it off and look at the base, it has a cam action to it, with a belleville (wavy) spring pulling the handle into the base. If the spring is flat or broken, it won't sit right.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:39 AM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to pull mine apart, my passanger door handle is dismal. The driver handle is great

Quick Reply: Droopy Door Handles