1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Building a set of anti-wrap/ traction bars.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:50 AM
yellow truck
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford Bronco II, Ranger, Traction Bars, Traction-Bars for Ford Broncos

It is the kit at the top of the page.

No interference problems. The high point on the plate over the axle sits outside the bottom of the box. It is possible that the bar could touch, but it would mean the suspension had more than bottomed out.

If I was going to be doing real off road jumps etc. I'd get the other traction bar they sell that has to weld to the axle.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:00 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

So it's the ranger kit? I'll probably end up buying a kit, or possibly making one similar. Thanks a lot!

Old 08-03-2015, 11:03 AM
yellow truck
Laughing Gas
It is really hard to argue with the price, and it is an easy installation.

I just am dying inside because I haven't been able to drive my truck this year, and I'm probably two months away from getting the engine back in it.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:06 AM
yellow truck
Laughing Gas
Sorry, didn't answer your question. I don't have the invoice handy and I don't recall. I phoned them, one of their guys went and measured the one in their showroom, and it matched my application and I bought it.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:14 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver

I'm still concerned about the bracket to bed clearance. My tires barely clear the inner bedsides. And the spring has to go right up underneath of it. I haven't measured yet but it seems like it's not much room in there

Old 08-03-2015, 11:17 AM
yellow truck
Laughing Gas
Mine is a flareside so I can't provide much help (I'm assuming yours is a styleside), but I'll try and get a picture for you of the bracket from the rear so it shows how it sits over the spring.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:19 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver

OK that might be the difference we're seeing then.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had ladder bars on my '69 for 20 sum years. Only issue was the fact I did not have floaters on the axle housing. That put things in a bind on suspension travel. Granted I never hauled anything in the bed and overall it worked great. It finally beat the front springs eye bushings out and caused it to wonder on the road pretty bad.

I've since pulled all that out and have been contemplating what I will replace it with. Have a complete coil over set up, but haven't wanted to cut it up that bad(yet). Cal tracs are good, these bars look like a possibility.

Got the heads off the motor all summer, not sure when I'll get it back together to worry about it. It wheel hops HORRIBLE so I don't beat on it at all!!!

Have to keep this kit in mind, if I don't fab it up myself.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:46 AM
yellow truck
Laughing Gas
Just crawled under it and took a picture from above the rear spring hanger facing forward. You can see the rear of the bar with the blue bushing on either side, and the mounting bracket bolted down to the top of the u-bolt. I can't see how the tire would interfere with it unless the tire was nearly rubbing on the spring.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:57 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver

The tire would be fine, my concern is when the suspension bottoms out on the bump stops, that the bracket is going to come up and hit the bed floor.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Yup, can't see that hitting a tire no matter what. My 29.5 x 12.5 MT on the back of my '69 just clear the tubs.

I'm just wondering about overall toughness. I'm thinking over time you might bend up the mounting brackets with too much HP.

They made a similar set up for cars back in the day. Called "Traction Masters". They mounted below the springs (since housing is above on a car). The mounting brackets weren't as tall and flimsy looking. Could be fabbed for a truck if clearance on the top is an issue.

You can also get slapper bars for pickups.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lak-21715/overview/

Old 08-03-2015, 12:25 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver

I thought about slapped bars, but they only work one direction. I've got a problem both ways. Plus, I don't see how they would work with the range of suspension travel and the changing spring arch.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:18 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver

OK well I got a chance to measure things. And I think the duff bars will work.

I have 7" of suspension up travel, and 10" between the bed and spring plate. So as long as the spring bracket is 3" tall or less, it will work.

Yellow Truck, would you be so kind as to measure how tall that bracket is?

Old 08-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
I thought about slapped bars, but they only work one direction.
Guess I never do reverse burnouts . I'm looking for something to control spring wrap up under hard acceleration(in the forward direction). I have slappers on my '64 2 dr Galaxie and they work well on the street. I've contemplated putting Caltracs on it, but after near 20 yrs with slappers, I just leave well enough alone.

They clamp to each side of the axle tube. Going in the FORWARD direction, the axle wraps to push the slapper bar up against the front spring eye area. Thus controlling the wrapping motion of the spring. That upward motion helps plant the housing downward by pushing up on the chassis(equal and opposite reaction). No, they won't work well in reverse action, unless you get the style that has the safety clamp that holds the front of the bar from pulling away from the spring as the housing rotates in the opposite direction.

Yes, if you change the ride height, it will change the preload(or lack of) of the snubber at the front. Not really meant to be used in a "hauling condition" and the ability to do a burnout.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:19 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver

Exactly, and I do load up pretty heavy fairly often.

The hard acceleration (burnout) isn't a problem because the tires just spin. The problem lies where the tires can't spin, and I have to apply hard power (towing heavy, from a stop) I can feel the back of the truck raise up because of the spring wrap. And for the reverse rotation aspect, that comes from heavy braking and locking up the wheels causing them to wrap and thus hop. (Happened very violently yesterday, and with the wheels hopping, they're not stopping!)

So that's the two problems I need to solve.

Quick Reply: Building a set of anti-wrap/ traction bars.