Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

August chat and general BS thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 05:44 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
August chat and general BS thread

Well...guess since I'm up and it's been awhile since I started one; I'll take my turn in the barrel like a good sport. While I haven't seen it (yet) there is a Murphy's about 2 miles from where I'm sitting that claims they're getting $2.11 for a gallon of our beloved fuel oil.

From last month....
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
There's a whole lot more horsepower to be had in much smaller and lighter packages now to even consider using one of these boat anchors in a pickup.
I completely agree. If you just have to have one of those yellow dozer motors...and you really want to get crazy, a 3126B will do three times what that 3208 could ever dream about. But that's still 1300# of iron over that front end. Not much more than a fully dressed out 6.7L (1100#) though. Guess the snow plow prep kit would be a must. I will say the first 3126 I had when I went to work for Riggs had some issues with the injector harness. And cranked a cylinder before it got to 250k miles. The engine that replaced it...completely different beast and that dude was still signing a song 375k miles later when I left.
I'm not really fond of the mid size V8 diesel engines, have owned 2 of the Cats, one 3208 and one 1160 which was just an earlier version. Both of them chunked rods out the side with absolutely no warning.
Maybe they were out of the main stream when I was working in the parts warehouse...or guys were sourcing short/long blocks in the aftermarket; but I don't remember seeing very many of those coming across the parts dock. Now 3406E...seen quite a few of those...both those that split pistons and had "aftermarket portholes" added. I'm not saying that's a bad motor, just the early years were hell...just like the 6.0L suffered through.
Also owned one of the 8.2 Detroit's for a short time,
I'm sorry. I wouldn't wish one of those on my worse enemies. Those things are just converters...fuel to noise.
I guess the best mid size V8 I ever had any dealing with was the 9.0 IH, pretty much the big brother of the 6.9 and 7.3 IDI.
Don't guess I've ever seen one...guessing it was an option school bus/wrecker engine?
Originally Posted by cookie88
Yeah. The "gee whiz" factor is about the only reason for putting that engine in that truck.
Sort of like those guys that take 4BT out of Frito-Lay trucks and "tweak" them and stuff them into everything from Broncos to SuperDuties...making stupid amounts of power.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:40 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Finally had time when my schedule and the previous owner's matched to go and get the 97 F350 I had mentioned month before last. Just a rough ol work truck, but well worth the $200 price tag. I'll try to find time this week to stick a starter on it and see what I bought.

Engine just quit like turning the key off while driving. Where would be the best place to start? I know they cooked the starter trying to restart, and I just happen to have a new one, so that's first.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:53 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally had time when my schedule and the previous owner's matched to go and get the 97 F350 I had mentioned month before last. Just a rough ol work truck, but well worth the $200 price tag. I'll try to find time this week to stick a starter on it and see what I bought.

Engine just quit like turning the key off while driving. Where would be the best place to start? I know they cooked the starter trying to restart, and I just happen to have a new one, so that's first.
Check the big 30A fuses under the hood. On those old PSD's when the fuel heater shorts out it takes the fuse for the PCM with it. After that check to see if the tach needle moves while cranking. If it doesn't it would suggest the cam sensor.

Those are the two main "switched off like the key" problems that I am aware of on that vintage.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:32 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Check the big 30A fuses under the hood. On those old PSD's when the fuel heater shorts out it takes the fuse for the PCM with it. After that check to see if the tach needle moves while cranking. If it doesn't it would suggest the cam sensor.

Those are the two main "switched off like the key" problems that I am aware of on that vintage.
Had a few minutes this AM to check it out. Big fuses were good, but there was one 25 amp smaller fuse in the under hood box that was blown. Changed it and it fired off. Someone had robbed the RH fuel line from regulator to head and the HPOP line was loose on that side too, so there was much air in the system. Once the air cleared it idled well, but was sorta iffy at higher RPMs. With 305K on the clock and it looks like its had a rough life, there is much blowby. I'll post over on the 7.3 forum later and get some ideas

Old 08-04-2015, 04:49 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
With 305K on the clock and it looks like its had a rough life, there is much blowby. I'll post over on the 7.3 forum later and get some ideas
I know you got this truck for repetitively cheap, but what is plan/goal with this truck? I'm still trying to figure out what happened. I could have sworn someone in this chapter made the comment repeatedly that he wouldn't own a PSD after working on several of them....against his better judgement. Now this guy has at least two of them in the yard.

Scott, have you talked to Dave lately? I'm assuming he's been busy making the wheels go around on the truck...but thought it's worth checking on him...considering he lives in a war zone.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:17 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by zhilton
I know you got this truck for repetitively cheap, but what is plan/goal with this truck? I'm still trying to figure out what happened. I could have sworn someone in this chapter made the comment repeatedly that he wouldn't own a PSD after working on several of them....against his better judgement. Now this guy has at least two of them in the yard.
Key words, in my yard! Neither are road worthy and not sure if either ever will be more than yard art.
If I were to haul them both for scrap I would still make money, so still undecided where they will end up.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:34 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
If I were to haul them both for scrap I would still make money, so still undecided where they will end up.
Ack! All those spare parts going to scrap! Nooooooooooooo!! lol.

Originally Posted by zhilton
Scott, have you talked to Dave lately?
Stopped by his house last week. He tweaked his back so he was in some pain.....but yes, still rolling.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:41 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Ack! All those spare parts going to scrap! Nooooooooooooo!! lol.

Stopped by his house last week. He tweaked his back so he was in some pain.....but yes, still rolling.
Not likely to scrap them, gonna try and make one running truck from two, if that's possible.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:55 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
One hip down and one to go. In and out of the hospital in under 36 hours. 6 or 7 more weeks and repeat the process cause now my left leg is a 1/2" short--LOL. One thing nice about this is that my pain is already LESS than what I was living with every day. Just sucks to be "locked in" the house for 6 weeks and can't drive.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:03 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
One hip down and one to go. In and out of the hospital in under 36 hours. 6 or 7 more weeks and repeat the process cause now my left leg is a 1/2" short--LOL. One thing nice about this is that my pain is already LESS than what I was living with every day. Just sucks to be "locked in" the house for 6 weeks and can't drive.
Good deal! Hope the other one is just as successful.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:15 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Glad to hear that the surgery was a success. I know I'll be in the same situation in the next few years, the front bumper of a '62 Buick wasn't kind to my left hip 45 years ago.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:11 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Well guys I hope you have all of your outdoor chores caught up, gonna be a scorcher for the next several days. Been looking at the weather in SE Alaska and dreaming of heading back up that way. ;-)
Probably going to work on the truck a little in the morning, try to figure out just what I have, then hit the water for the rest of the day.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:59 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
LOL. Caught up. Good one. Got a couple more to pile on the list is about all.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:32 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Oh well, slept in for a while this morning and since the truck is 50 miles away, I think it'll be too hot to touch by the time I could get there. Looks like its time to load up on the party barge and play river rat for the day!
Stay safe in this heat folks!

Old 08-09-2015, 11:31 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
One of the few advantages to working nights this time of year...I don't have to deal with the heat. Just laying under the a/c during the day and try to nap. Though watching the sun go down...then seeing it come back up and still at work isn't all it's cracked up to.
I hate to hear that, hope he feels better soon. Are you sure he didn't tweak his back working on that boat anchor motor? The last couple of times I saw it running it sure looked like he had an injector leaking.
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
6 or 7 more weeks and repeat the process cause now my left leg is a 1/2" short
So, does that mean when you try to walk...if you don't put some rudder into it....your making a clockwise or counter-clockwise turn? Glad to hear the first round has improved everything.
I think it'll be too hot to touch by the time I could get there. Looks like its time to load up on the party barge and play river rat for the day!
Stay safe in this heat folks!
And I have to work....life isn't fair.

Quick Reply: August chat and general BS thread