Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2011 intermittent transmission and speedometer problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:16 PM
few2many
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 intermittent transmission and speedometer problems.

Hey guys, looking for some assistance, or someone to point me in the right direction. I have done a search on the forums and google, but haven't really found anything close enough. I'm trying to fix a transmission problem with my work truck. It's a company owned, 2011 f150 super cab, 2wd, 5.0 and 6 speed auto. It currently has 225K miles. The problem is very random occurring 2-3 times per week, usually happens on start up, and goes away after a hand full of engine restarts. It has happened twice on the freeway, the transmission releases and a complete loss of power and coasts to a stop. At the same time, the speedometer goes to zero regardless of vehicle speed. Normally, when it happens, the speedometer does not read, all the mpg, miles to E, and related meters show bars "-----". The vehicle starts and takes off ok, but when it tries to shift, it just releases and the truck coasts to a stop. It will repeat this for a while. After several restarts, the truck goes back to normal. This has happened a couple dozen times now. The wrench and check engine light came on during the very first instance, but the auto shop said there were no trouble codes stored. They kept it for a week, and said it never reoccurred. I have a lousy video that shows, when this happens, the trans starts in 2nd, jumps to 5th, then 2nd, then 5th. I am past due for a new work truck and this one is on its way out, but has to last another couple of months! This truck has otherwise been very problem free and well maintained. I'm actually thinking of trying to pick it up cheap, if the repair is not too bad. Any suggestions?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:14 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
I think there is a speed sensor in the top of the rear diff...... maybe.

Check that.... It may be a pull it clean it thing.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:03 PM
few2many
Junior User
TSB 13-6-8.
Same symptoms, may clear up after key cycle.
Says dtcs may, or may NOT be saved!
Man, that took a lot of googling and reading.
Forgot to say, I've been googling the problem and symptoms a couple weeks with no luck!

Old 08-01-2015, 05:24 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by few2many
TSB 13-6-8.
Same symptoms, may clear up after key cycle.
Says dtcs may, or may NOT be saved!
Man, that took a lot of googling and reading.
Thank you for your assistance sir.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:53 AM
lugnut1009
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Thank you for your assistance sir.
Did this tsb resolve the issue? Did you pull and clean the speed sensor? My wife's 2011 F150 is starting to do this exact same thing, about 108k miles.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:03 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Can't speak for the OP, but I had the same EXACT issue and had to have the Molded Leadframe replaced under TSB 13-6-8. The dealer wanted to replace the speed sensor, as those were the codes that were stored. I pushed them to look into the TSB and they agreed to replace it. Haven't had any issues since (knock on weed)

More info here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...bag-light.html

Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 AM
lugnut1009
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Can't speak for the OP, but I had the same EXACT issue and had to have the Molded Leadframe replaced under TSB 13-6-8. The dealer wanted to replace the speed sensor, as those were the codes that were stored. I pushed them to look into the TSB and they agreed to replace it. Haven't had any issues since (knock on weed)

More info here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...bag-light.html
I don't think her speedometer stops working though. I hooked up my Auto Enginuity to it last night and there were no codes at all. Of course this was after she drove it home (approx 15-20 miles) with it acting normally. We don't have a warranty and it has had an SCT X4 tuner on it for several thousand miles with no problems at all. And the first thing I did was return it to stock. The problem happened one time after that, so doubt it's the tune.

Just hoping this isn't going to cost an arm and a leg to repair. This is the only problem we've ever had with the truck since we bought it new in 2012.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:04 PM
few2many
Junior User
Actually, knock on wood, the problem stopped. It was erratic, occurring a couple times per week. Hasn't done it in a couple weeks now. My boss won't try to fix it, unless it fails completely. I voiced my concern with this, but don't own or pay for the truck.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:57 AM
lugnut1009
Freshman User
Originally Posted by few2many
Actually, knock on wood, the problem stopped. It was erratic, happened once or twice per week. Hasn't done it in a couple weeks now. My boss won't try to fix it, unless it fails completely. I voiced my concern with this, but don't own or pay for the truck.
My wife's hasn't messed up anymore either. She filled up with 93 octane so I put the 93 tune in it this morning. We'll see how it goes. Still hard to believe the tune would make the transmission act stupid just every now and then....

Old 09-19-2015, 03:42 PM
lugnut1009
Freshman User
Originally Posted by lugnut1009
My wife's hasn't messed up anymore either. She filled up with 93 octane so I put the 93 tune in it this morning. We'll see how it goes. Still hard to believe the tune would make the transmission act stupid just every now and then....
It happened again. Even happened on the stock tune. Doesn't want to clear up now. Anyone read anywhere what the cost of this TSB costs to fix? No warranty left...

Old 09-21-2015, 08:25 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
It happened again. Even happened on the stock tune. Doesn't want to clear up now. Anyone read anywhere what the cost of this TSB costs to fix? No warranty left...
Mine was under warranty still so I don't have an estimate. May want to shoot the dealer a call and give them the TSB number with a cost estimate.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:40 PM
lugnut1009
Freshman User
Got it repaired and back in the road yesterday. Runs great, but I have a question for you guys that have had this fixed before. Everything seems to act right, but the gear indicator is no longer on the screen. Is this normal? Is this an updated revision to the ECU software???

** I am going to call the dealership that did the work, just wondering about your experiences.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:58 PM
lugnut1009
Freshman User
Got it repaired and back in the road yesterday. Runs great, but I have a question for you guys that have had this fixed before. Everything seems to act right, but the gear indicator is no longer on the screen. Is this normal? Is this an updated revision to the ECU software???

** I am going to call the dealership that did the work, just wondering about your experiences.
Turns out its a feature that you can simply turn off and back on. Nothing to it!!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:13 AM
F150 Newf
New User
cost for your repairs

Hi lugnut1009,
I know this is an old thread, but thought i would ask in case you or anyone else who had the same issue has relevant info as I am having the same symptoms as you describe in your thread "2011 intermittent transmission and speedometer problems".

I have a 2011 f150 5.0, 6spd auto 4x4 myself with the same problems you describe. I noticed you asked for pricing info, and afterwards had the work completed to your truck. Can you share the cost & nature of the repairs to your vehicle and if the repairs lasted? I expect is was for the TSB 13-6-8, but i figured i would ask just in case it was something else.

Thank you.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:51 AM
lugnut1009
Freshman User
Man this was so long ago I can't remember exactly what it was called, it was a module in the transmission that was later turned into an actual recall and we were reimbursed the cost of the repair. If I were you I would take my VIN number onto Ford's site and search for open recalls on your truck. If it hasn't been done yet, I get the ball rolling and have the module swapped out ASAP.

*** Found the name and TSB earlier in this thread: Molded Leadframe replaced under TSB 13-6-8

Last edited by lugnut1009; 01-14-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: update

Quick Reply: 2011 intermittent transmission and speedometer problems.