1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1985 F150 5.0 EFI Fuel Filters

Old 08-01-2015, 08:05 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Yeah, I think that may just be the Quick Disconnect between the fuel line and manifold plumbing... if that is what I'm thinking, it operates like A/C connectors and you use these little push tools to unhook them....

6 Piece Fuel Line and A/C Quick Disconnect Tool

Old 08-01-2015, 05:40 PM
sgauvry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing like those pieces on it.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:35 PM
ctubutis
Right, you would use one of those plastic thingers to release a "spring clip" as such, just like the air conditioning uses.

I will try and take a look in the books sometime this weekend....

Old 08-01-2015, 06:37 PM
sgauvry
Senior User
Don't you have the fuel supply and fuel intake lines reversed?

Anyway, that seems odd. How would that piece be on the wiring harness containing the fuel injection connectors? As you see in the pic I included, that piece I'm referring to is on the fuel supply line.

See - it's in the fuel supply line.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:41 PM
sgauvry
Senior User
Thanks ctubutis! That'd be great! By the way, the post before this one was meant for Franklin 2. I want to be sure he and I are looking at the same things.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:39 PM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by sgauvry
Thanks ctubutis! That'd be great! By the way, the post before this one was meant for Franklin 2. I want to be sure he and I are looking at the same things.
Hit the button at the bottom of each post to "quote" somebody else, so everybody can see to whom you are talking.

I'll look in the parts catalog and see if I can find anything useful; I don't have any service manuals for anything with EFI, though.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:28 PM
ctubutis
This is the drawing (way down at the bottom) from the parts catalog, I highlighted in green what I think you're looking at.

Basically, you have an incoming fuel line; a tube (9F754) that connects the left & right rail; and a return line.

I'd guess the incoming fuel line connects to the rail on the passenger side.

9C968 is the fuel pressure regulator; the cylindrical object I think is just something substantial to grab a hold of and connect/disconnect the two tubes.

These connections all look like the kind used in air conditioning... see if this video helps you (he uses a nicer tool than those plastic things I showed you earlier):

Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2015, 05:34 AM
sgauvry
Senior User
Yes, thanks for the trouble of posting these. I've seen that video before. It's funny because the guy stops it when he has trouble with the spring clips. Then suddenly he turns the camera back on an viola!

I'm satisfied that the piece I'm talking about is what you say. Seems too small to be a filter anyway.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:52 AM
ctubutis
Here's a video with those plastic things and not that tool:

Old 12-08-2017, 06:12 PM
cs286
New User
Angry 1985 f150 5.0efi dual tank fuel rail?

I'm at my wits end. I have tested everything from the tanks up to and replaced the pressure regulator. Shortly after replacing the regulator it quit running all together. So I cut the rail (OOPS- Didn't realize they are almost impossible to find!) just below the regulator and hooked up an external fuel pump. I get plenty of gas through the regulator into the rail ( I know this because when I pull the line off ), and hear the injectors rattling, so I am assuming the electronics are working correctly. But the beast won't run unless I prime the intake. HELP???

Old 12-08-2017, 07:18 PM
tempest411
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cs286
I'm at my wits end. I have tested everything from the tanks up to and replaced the pressure regulator. Shortly after replacing the regulator it quit running all together. So I cut the rail (OOPS- Didn't realize they are almost impossible to find!) just below the regulator and hooked up an external fuel pump. I get plenty of gas through the regulator into the rail ( I know this because when I pull the line off ), and hear the injectors rattling, so I am assuming the electronics are working correctly. But the beast won't run unless I prime the intake. HELP???
Nevermind about the rail. I replaced mine with one off a '96. That rail did use a unique pressure regulator though. What codes are stored in your truck's computer. Having an '85 EFI just like yours, I can say the weakest link in the whole engine management system is a single conductor connector by the battery that, if I recall, was the +12V feed for the computer...It gets pretty corroded at the conductor. I ended up ripping out my entire harness and building a new one using new terminals and connectors wherever possible. My original harness was old, baked, and falling apart...I had bare copper showing where Ford ingeniusely let runs hang suspended from the inner fender across to the engine over the exhaust manifolds.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,341 Posts
Do you have spark? Check the codes also like was mentioned in the previous post. If you do not have pulses coming from the distributor to tell the computer that the engine is turning, then the computer will not fire the the injectors.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:18 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes Steve, that is a fuel filter, here is the one I took off my 85';

That blue hose (PITA), I believe was heated, when the Filter was installed originally. The filter is obsolete, but you can put an aftermarket inline filter there. I have only seen this on the 85's, EFI. I have a thread on this somewhere.

I put a "T'" fitting Schrader Valve in there to check fuel pressure since the 85' fuel rail does not have a Schrader Valve.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:31 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
9J232-A - Tube with in-line fuel filter

Old 12-09-2017, 04:39 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Gary Lewis & NumberDummy helped me figure this out earlier this year...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 F150 5.0 EFI Fuel Filters