1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1985 F150 5.0 EFI Fuel Filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 01:34 PM
sgauvry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 F150 5.0 EFI Fuel Filters

So - I have heard that the 85 f150 5.0 actually has 3 fuel filters. There's one in the tank, there's one prior to the external pump, and there's one right behind the lower intake manifold and is generally hidden from view by the plenum. Anyone ever replace it? Know where I can find one?

Man, those lines are tight. Going to have to razor cut them to get the filter off.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:49 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 846 Likes on 765 Posts
One in the tank is a screen on the pickup for the pump. Don't know of a fuel filter at the back of the engine. The car engines (I think are the same as truck ones) have a PCV filter in the back of the engine, which hardly ever gets changed because a lot of people don't know about it. Follow the PCV hose down to the PCV valve. Remove the valve and grommet to access the filter. Hard to get out sometimes. I use a long sheet rock or sheet metal screw to pull out.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:19 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,661 Likes on 1,343 Posts
Originally Posted by sgauvry
So - I have heard that the 85 f150 5.0 actually has 3 fuel filters. There's one in the tank, there's one prior to the external pump, and there's one right behind the lower intake manifold and is generally hidden from view by the plenum. Anyone ever replace it? Know where I can find one?

Man, those lines are tight. Going to have to razor cut them to get the filter off.
Why are you cutting lines? If you have a piece that comes off the fuel system lines, the fuel fitting has a barb and then a o-ring and a keeper. To get the fuel line off you pull the keeper, and then the whole fitting/line comes off as one piece.

There are also fuel filters on these trucks that are in a housing. The housing unscrews. They can get stuck, I had to take the whole unit out of my ranger and put it in a vise to get it undone. But don't cut any lines.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:33 PM
sgauvry
Senior User
I've already replaced the fuel filter in the tank. I also replaced the one in the canister that unscrews with an oil filter wrench. The one behind the plenum is very small and the fuel lines come into both ends. The are not connected as you may expect. The lines run tiny the ends that are barbed and they are as tight as I've ever seen. But there is not keeper. It's simply blue fuel lines that wrap around the barbed ends and they are incredibly tight.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:03 AM
tempest411
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait a minute...are you confusing the spring-lock fittings that plug into the fuel rail for 'tiny fuel filters'? Do they look like the fittings in the picture I attached? It's not from a V8, but the fittings are the same. You can see the hard nylon lines (which have been cut) going up to them. If that is what you have, it is not what you may have thought it is.

Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2015, 05:20 AM
sgauvry
Senior User
No. I am not confusing the spring line fittings with the fuel filter.

Literally, there is a blue fuel line that comes from the external fuel pump that runs directly into a very tiny (about 2 inches long) fuel filter with NO type of clamp whatsoever, and a blue fuel line that runs from it into a connector with a keeper that connects to the fuel rail. Those fuel lines are as tight as you can imagine. It's as if they are too small for the fitting, and were placed around the ends of the fuel filter and heated to shrink tight against the barbed fitting.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:58 AM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by sgauvry
No. I am not confusing the spring line fittings with the fuel filter.

Literally, there is a blue fuel line that comes from the external fuel pump that runs directly into a very tiny (about 2 inches long) fuel filter with NO type of clamp whatsoever, and a blue fuel line that runs from it into a connector with a keeper that connects to the fuel rail. Those fuel lines are as tight as you can imagine. It's as if they are too small for the fitting, and were placed around the ends of the fuel filter and heated to shrink tight against the barbed fitting.
Can you find that filter on autozone's or someone elses site?

Old 07-31-2015, 07:22 AM
sgauvry
Senior User
Hi Dave - No. I've checked Auto Zone, Advance Auto, and NAPA. I have not yet checked Rock Auto; that'll be my next stop.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:40 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 846 Likes on 765 Posts
I couldn't find any filter such as you describe on Rockauto. Might be a good idea to go to a dealer. Or, maybe someone has a diagram. I'm not finding anything. If any filters are present in the system, you shouldn't have to cut any lines to replace them. What you are describing sounds like a "non-serviceable part.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:07 AM
sgauvry
Senior User
Interesting. I'll dig some more and get back to you. Thanks!!

Old 07-31-2015, 09:24 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I understand 1985.5 - 1986 have different fuel filters than prior versions; read through this thread and see if it helps you (fuel filter stuff is near the end):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...4-5-0-efi.html

I am just concerned you're looking at cutting stuff apart that was never intended to be disassembled, and those things you think are filters are something else.... posting some pictures here might help. *hint* *hint* *hint*

Old 07-31-2015, 09:23 PM
sgauvry
Senior User
I looked through the thread you sent but didn't find any mention, even near the end, of fuel issues. I don't have a smart phone, but think I can take a pic with my work phone. I'll send you the pic then.

Thanks, as always!

Old 07-31-2015, 10:23 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
This is where I was remembering in that thread, sorry I couldn't be more specific at the time I wrote that (was at work with limited time):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15317418

OK, send me your pictures to ctubutis @ yahoo . com and I'll post 'em up here for ya.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:31 AM
sgauvry
Senior User

As you see, I'm dismantling the engine some to repaint the lower intake manifold, etc. See the cylindrical object? Fuel filter or something else?

Old 08-01-2015, 07:17 AM
Franklin2
Do you see that piece in the picture below? #6 is where the fuel line quick disconnect goes for the fuel supply. They don't have a number in the picture, but straight to the left is the other quick disconnect for the return fuel line.

Quick Reply: 1985 F150 5.0 EFI Fuel Filters