6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford Service Dept Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:23 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I really don't need to comment because I have an older 7.3, but I have heavily considered a new Ford 6.7 and started looking. This thread is the fourth one I have read this morning, in just the last hour, stating this kind of absolute BS with new trucks that are the price of a small house. It's been really good for me because it's been my decision maker and it feels so good to say that. My truck is easy to work on, fairly cheap to fix comparably, and it's paid for. Is it a PITA sometimes when I have to replace a silly sensor or wiring that has gotten old? Sure. Is it as comfortable as these new car/trucks? No...but I would be livid beyond belief to have to deal with the sort of idiocy you guys have encountered on these "warrantied" trucks. It blows my mind! I know I am just one small guy, but I am one small guy that Ford will never see walk in to a dealership.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:53 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, if it aint broke done fix it....wait...if it is broke and out of warranty, fix it...if its a 6.7l youll just have to deal with a heart attack while paying to fix it. It nutz that some repairs alone can cost as much as some lower priced brand new cars.

Still, not sure how comfortable i would feel hauling my travel trailer with a truck less capable than mine.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:57 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by IronCobra
Hey, if it aint broke done fix it....wait...if it is broke and out of warranty, fix it...if its a 6.7l youll just have to deal with a heart attack while paying to fix it. It nutz that some repairs alone can cost as much as some lower priced brand new cars.

Still, not sure how comfortable i would feel hauling my travel trailer with a truck less capable than mine.
Less capable? Right...not as fast, but definitely as capable if not more so. I guess it depends on your definition of "capable". I can go down the road with either of my 10k# plus trailers at 65 or 70. I shouldn't be going any faster than that hauling that much weight anyways. Oh, and I'm not out $60k. But, if your mechanical ability is non-existent, then yeah, spend the coin and buy a new rig.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:09 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Less capable? Right...not as fast, but definitely as capable if not more so. I guess it depends on your definition of "capable". I can go down the road with either of my 10k# plus trailers at 65 or 70. I shouldn't be going any faster than that hauling that much weight anyways. Oh, and I'm not out $60k. But, if your mechanical ability is non-existent, then yeah, spend the coin and buy a new rig.
I'm not saying that the 7.3 isn't a great diesel. In many ways it's considered the best diesel ford offered. But when I'm talking about capability I'm referring to far more than just the engine. The 2011+ has many features that enable it to be a more capable truck stock. Far more power, stronger frame, stronger suspension, larger brakes, larger cargo area, better fuel economy, more technology (far far more), overall more reliable, better trailering technology, more safety equipment, better 4wd system, and several other items. It's just due to simple advancements in technology as well as competition. Again, the 7.3 Super duty was a great truck, just not to the standards set by newer Super Dutys. Regardless of all the upgrades you do to one, it still will have sooner maintenance cycles than a 6.7. It was almost unheard of to see earlier pickup diesels to exceed 100k miles without some form of major maintenance requires.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:53 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I'm not saying that the 7.3 isn't a great diesel. In many ways it's considered the best diesel ford offered. But when I'm talking about capability I'm referring to far more than just the engine. The 2011+ has many features that enable it to be a more capable truck stock. Far more power, stronger frame, stronger suspension, larger brakes, larger cargo area, better fuel economy, more technology (far far more), overall more reliable, better trailering technology, more safety equipment, better 4wd system, and several other items. It's just due to simple advancements in technology as well as competition. Again, the 7.3 Super duty was a great truck, just not to the standards set by newer Super Dutys. Regardless of all the upgrades you do to one, it still will have sooner maintenance cycles than a 6.7. It was almost unheard of to see earlier pickup diesels to exceed 100k miles without some form of major maintenance requires.
What?! Earlier diesels being able to make 100k miles without some form of major maintenance? LOL Now I know we're getting nowhere. You win. The 6.7 is THE raddest, toughest, most capable diesel ever built. Maybe I'll get to own one day when they come down to my price range.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:29 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
What?! Earlier diesels being able to make 100k miles without some form of major maintenance? LOL Now I know we're getting nowhere. You win. The 6.7 is THE raddest, toughest, most capable diesel ever built. Maybe I'll get to own one day when they come down to my price range.
A. I dont necessarily consider yours an early oickup diesel
B. I had a 1988 Chevy with a 6.2 that was a POS.
C. Why are you being so hostile?

I have never claimed that 6.7 was anu of what you said. But facts being facts, there is a reason the entire truck has evolved to where it is. Costs are high as they always have been relative to inflation for a Diesel truck, but these trucks are far more capable off the showroom floor built before them.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:59 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
A. I dont necessarily consider yours an early oickup diesel
B. I had a 1988 Chevy with a 6.2 that was a POS.
C. Why are you being so hostile?

I have never claimed that 6.7 was anu of what you said. But facts being facts, there is a reason the entire truck has evolved to where it is. Costs are high as they always have been relative to inflation for a Diesel truck, but these trucks are far more capable off the showroom floor built before them.
Wasn't being hostile...I really thought what you said was funny. Really not a big deal. We are on two different playing fields and I didn't want it to turn into a pissing match. Agree to disagree.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:29 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
In reading page two here, I have to say I completely agree with Justin. Yes, when something goes wrong, it can be much more complex and expensive to fix. However, the benefits of a modern truck far outweigh the very small chance you'll have a major failure. To not take the tiny risk on a new truck because of a few internet tales of woe is just plain silly. If you can't afford it, that's fine. But don't miss out on all the features of a new truck because a few people have problems from time to time. Heck, you could avoid all repairs on a 6.7 or a 7.3 by just staying home and watching TV. Should you do it? And besides, Justin doesn't even have a problem. He's just worried that the dealer noted his records incorrectly and how that MIGHT effect his warranty down the road. Valid? Sure. A huge deal breaking issue for a potential buyer? Um, not quite. Bottom line, think of all the trouble free 6.7's out there owned by people who have no idea what a forum is. This forum represents a tiny fraction of all owners. And, many owners come here and join only when they have a problem. So, it certainly isn't a scientific way to survey reliability of an engine to read a few posts in a forum...

Old 08-02-2015, 09:02 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
In reading page two here, I have to say I completely agree with Justin. Yes, when something goes wrong, it can be much more complex and expensive to fix. However, the benefits of a modern truck far outweigh the very small chance you'll have a major failure. To not take the tiny risk on a new truck because of a few internet tales of woe is just plain silly. If you can't afford it, that's fine. But don't miss out on all the features of a new truck because a few people have problems from time to time. Heck, you could avoid all repairs on a 6.7 or a 7.3 by just staying home and watching TV. Should you do it? And besides, Justin doesn't even have a problem. He's just worried that the dealer noted his records incorrectly and how that MIGHT effect his warranty down the road. Valid? Sure. A huge deal breaking issue for a potential buyer? Um, not quite. Bottom line, think of all the trouble free 6.7's out there owned by people who have no idea what a forum is. This forum represents a tiny fraction of all owners. And, many owners come here and join only when they have a problem. So, it certainly isn't a scientific way to survey reliability of an engine to read a few posts in a forum...
I hear you, but again, this forum is not the only reason I have this train of thought. Just agree to disagree. It's not even the $$, but the headache and time out of life when a dealer can't find the issue. Look, guys that have the 6.7 are going to think it's the best thing ever even if for the simple fact that you want to defend your purchase.

We have a 2013 for our main ranch truck that it is a joy to haul our 6-Horse trailer with and a joy to drive. The longevity remains to be seen. It only has 33k on it and it's been to the dealer 3 times since Feb. Two times for an oil leak and a sensor replacement of some sort. Once for front end components that needed replaced due to wearing tires because we were "towing too heavy"! Really? A 2013 F350 hauling 11k is too heavy? Yeah, that service writer didn't have a clue. Again, dealer idiocy. This really isn't me ripping on the new Ford diesel. It's a very nice truck. These have just been my real-world observations. If it was a $40k truck, I could swallow it easier, but not at these sticker prices. I also can't believe that some owners are willing to put up with the down time and not have a loaner. I go in deep to the tune of $60k and when it breaks, I have to just be out for however long they deem necessary? I guess dealers are different and some are easier to deal with than others. I know ours is no fun and we definitely don't look forward to having to take it in whenever we need to, even just for an oil change. We just know it's going to be a headache.

Um, 9700 threads just in this forum alone? I think that's a little more than a small fraction. I would say that's a fairly significant number. Does it represent every owner? Of course not...but it's enough to look up and pay attention. And, if you read my original post, it wasn't so much about the reliability/capability of the new 6.7, but rather the absolute PITA of having to deal with the dealer when something does go wrong on something that shouldn't have an issue. Either way, agree to disagree.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 AM
System
Prolocutor
It's absolutely a small fraction even if you combined this forum with all other Ford forums out there relative to the amount of trucks sold. Still, 99% of those threads you mentioned were not to report problems either and MANY of them have nothing to do with the 6.7 whatsoever. The internet has a way of making anything seem like an epidemic. Just like the 24 hour news cycle does. Remember, because you read it on the internet doesn't exactly make it true. Also, most here don't think the 6.7 is the best thing since sliced bread. We like them or we wouldn't buy them but there is very little brand loyalty here. I personally will consider all three brands equally when I buy my new truck in a couple of years. If things stay the way they are, it will likely be another Ford because of features and options that are important to me are offered on a SD and not in Ram or GM. However, I certainly won't buy it because it has the Ford 6.7. Any of the three diesels would suit me equally.

And if it's not the money and it's just the chance of a headache, you better just stay home and perhaps in the basement. It's a scary world out there. Drunk drivers, lightning strikes, rogue waves! Yikes! All have about an equal chance of getting you as a major engine failure on a 6.7....

Old 08-02-2015, 09:43 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
What's funny to me is this very thread I commented in is about a problem with a dealer and the OP is now defending the very thing that made him post here in the first place. I am not here to get into a pissing match. I look at the numbers and real world observations. It's pretty clear. I have been under my "old diesel" about 3 times in two years and two of those were to change the oil and fuel filters.

I did not say the 6.7 is a POS. It's not the "chance" of a headache or downtime from the work that needs to be done. It's already happened!! Three times!!!! Did you miss that? I guess I need to add yet another thread about the terrible service from Ford and how our new very expensive truck caused us to have to borrow a truck form a fellow rancher to get cattle to the auction barn? Hostility? Yeah, it is a big scary world. The basement? That's even more scary. It's dark down there.

On another note, maybe Ford, and all of the truck brands, need to focus on hiring people that actually know these trucks and what their issues may be. Most don't get hired for a job when they have no idea how to do that job...not so with service writers and techs. They seem to stare blankly and give ridiculous answers to problems more than anything.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:02 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
It's absolutely a small fraction even if you combined this forum with all other Ford forums out there relative to the amount of trucks sold. Still, 99% of those threads you mentioned were not to report problems either and MANY of them have nothing to do with the 6.7 whatsoever. The internet has a way of making anything seem like an epidemic. Just like the 24 hour news cycle does. Remember, because you read it on the internet doesn't exactly make it true. Also, most here don't think the 6.7 is the best thing since sliced bread. We like them or we wouldn't buy them but there is very little brand loyalty here. I personally will consider all three brands equally when I buy my new truck in a couple of years. If things stay the way they are, it will likely be another Ford because of features and options that are important to me are offered on a SD and not in Ram or GM. However, I certainly won't buy it because it has the Ford 6.7. Any of the three diesels would suit me equally.

And if it's not the money and it's just the chance of a headache, you better just stay home and perhaps in the basement. It's a scary world out there. Drunk drivers, lightning strikes, rogue waves! Yikes! All have about an equal chance of getting you as a major engine failure on a 6.7....
Agreed!! (refenece my Zombie thread).....

BBslider, i apologize if i offended you or your truck in anyway. That was not my intention at all.

I think your truck is actually quite nice. I was simply stating that Ford obviously ismt going to put out a less capable product as a replacement to an earlier model (especially with the big 3 pissing contest that is really happening).

I am far from brand loyal at this piont. Indont think you will find near anyone on the 6.7 forum that didnt "look" at a new Ram or GM diesel before making their purchase. When you are spending $60k (often much less with all the rebates and a trade) you want to be an informed, smart shopper. I shopped them all and purchased my Ford because it had what I wanted and fit my bill better.

As far as ranch trucks go, i own property on the King Ranch here is South Texas. They have about 60 F250/350 trucks, most with the 6.7l. They have been a Ford shop for going on 70 years or more. They love their new Super Dutys. Also, Ford dominates the Oil Field industry down here. Thats quite a selling point actually. They are abused on some of the worse roads imaginable and in 100+ temps daily towing grossly overwieght gear. Fords are damn tuff trucks and he 6.7 has largely been a damn good engine....not near perfect, but damn good.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:11 AM
System
Prolocutor
What's funny to me is this very thread I commented in is about a problem with a dealer and the OP is now defending the very thing that made him post here in the first place. I am not here to get into a pissing match. I look at the numbers and real world observations. It's pretty clear. I have been under my "old diesel" about 3 times in two years and two of those were to change the oil and fuel filters.

I did not say the 6.7 is a POS. It's not the "chance" of a headache or downtime from the work that needs to be done. It's already happened!! Three times!!!! Did you miss that? I guess I need to add yet another thread about the terrible service from Ford and how our new very expensive truck caused us to have to borrow a truck form a fellow rancher to get cattle to the auction barn? Hostility? Yeah, it is a big scary world. The basement? That's even more scary. It's dark down there.

On another note, maybe Ford, and all of the truck brands, need to focus on hiring people that actually know these trucks and what their issues may be. Most don't get hired for a job when they have no idea how to do that job...not so with service writers and techs. They seem to stare blankly and give ridiculous answers to problems more than anything.
So, now your story changes from the 6.7 is too expensive to fix to not liking incompetent dealers? OK, you can change direction, but it's not what you came to this thread for. Bottom line is you did not have a catastrophic failure that was expensive to repair. You had a small problem that the dealer didn't address correctly. That could happen on any vehicle produced by any brand.

As to being under your truck, I'm the same with my "new" diesel. Fuel filters once. Oil changes every 5k. That's it. Hasn't been back to the dealer for one warranty claim.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I could never go back to a 7.3 after owning this 6.7. It's not even a contest.
Just the transmission is worth moving to the new truck.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:42 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
9700 threads, but how many are unique users?

And out of the hundreds of thousands of SD's sold each year, it's a drop in the bucket.

At least we are not arguing that the 6.0 was the best diesel Ford offered...

In a way I wouldn't mind a 7.3 as you don't have to worry about fuel quality as much - but seeing what my neighbor has to do to keep his 7.3 running in the winter... no thanks...

Quick Reply: Ford Service Dept Warning!