Sponsored by: DP Tuner

oil in cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:58 AM
JosephDunivan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil in cold air intake

please help what does it mean when you find oil in in the cold air intake,is this normal?

Old 07-29-2015, 10:34 AM
dhoff024
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may be a stupid reply but is the filter that is on the intake one that needs oiled? I know my Steeda intake on my focus needs oiled and sometimes if you get to much oil on the filter and as it gets dirty you can see some oil in the intake. Just a suggestion not sure if it applies or not.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 AM
F0rdc0wb0y
Fleet Mechanic
Received 446 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephDunivan
please help what does it mean when you find oil in in the cold air intake,is this normal?
Diesel or gas? If it's diesel it's oil from the crank case vent and it's very normal.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:30 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Gas or diesel?

Factory or after market intake?

Where in intake is the oil?

Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 PM
JosephDunivan
Freshman User
thanks

First i would like too say thank you for all of your replies, its a 7.3 d and its a stock cooler, but i didnt see a filter on it .where would the filter be? Joseph

Old 07-29-2015, 11:17 PM
JosephDunivan
Freshman User
the oil is up by the turbo housing and down by the neck of cooler...joseph

Old 07-30-2015, 05:52 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I'm moving this one down to the 7.3L forum. Are you referring to the charge air cooler that's mounted in front of the radiator?

Old 07-30-2015, 07:04 AM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
I'm moving this one down to the 7.3L forum. Are you referring to the charge air cooler that's mounted in front of the radiator?
No by cooler I think he means a cold air intake

Edit: actually I'm not sure what he means anymore

Old 07-30-2015, 07:10 AM
kbarbee95
Senior User
A cold air intake should have an oiled elements MOST do, however if thats a K&N intake or really anything but a S&B I suggest you remove that sooner than later because they dont filter too well on diesels and you run the risk of dusting your intake and if left long enough you'll have a dusted engine.

Now oil in the intake is normal because of the CCV . Take the cap off the oil filler and place it upside down. It should vibrate off, if it tries to float or the pressure lifts it up then you have too much blow-by. If it just vibrates off you're fine.

I suggest you look up the 6637 filter mod because cold air intakes don't have a good reputation on diesels, they end up doing far more damage than any gain from the "colder air" they get.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarbee95
....I suggest you look up the 6637 filter mod because cold air intakes don't have a good reputation on diesels, they end up doing far more damage than any gain from the "colder air" they get.
Ooo.... Thems is popcorn words. Can you please validate this?

Old 07-30-2015, 08:27 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Oh! Oh!, Can I??????

Actually the K&N along with any of the Cold Air Intakes work just fine as far as function goes. We can debate the air flow, noise, etc at a later time. (or just dig up an old thread and read it) The only issue K&N has with regards to our trucks is the drop in replacement filter that goes in the stock air filter box. The rubber seal around the filter does not seal as well as it should. But, neither do some of the other filters, so, that's why many go for aftermarket solutions. The 6637 is a good, inexpensive solution.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:38 AM
kbarbee95
Senior User
You haven't read about all the issue's with CAI like K&N especially, on a diesel? Lots of people recommend removing them because they dont filter good enough. On a gas engine never heard of problems but I've read PLENTY bad about K&N. Enough that I'll never run one. Your motor your choice but personally I would not take the risk associated with them.

Its not about noise or airflow, its it's about the ability to filter even the finest particles that can damage our delecate compressor wheel first and eventually cylinder walls.

And you may be right to a point, a new filter will probably be fine but most people don't maintain them properly which leads to the problems.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:48 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by kbarbee95
You haven't read about all the issue's with CAI like K&N especially, on a diesel? Lots of people recommend removing them because they dont filter good enough. On a gas engine never heard of problems but I've read PLENTY bad about K&N. Enough that I'll never run one. Your motor your choice but personally I would not take the risk associated with them.
Actually, I haven't read a thing about their CAI systems that are bad for diesels. I read a lot of hearsay, but nothing to back that up. There are plenty of choices out there, so choosing a different system is fine, as long as you like it. The only negative issues I have read about K&N that are proven, are what I stated above. But the factory filters have the same issues too. But, there are some guys that still have the factory air box, and have had no issues at all. It's just making sure the filter and box seal like their suppose to.

Its not about noise or airflow, its it's about the ability to filter even the finest particles that can damage our delecate compressor wheel first and eventually cylinder walls.
For the sake of this discussion, perhaps not. But for some (me) it is about noise and airflow.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:58 AM
kbarbee95
Senior User
I really wouldn't risk it, and also k&n wont tell you how many microns it filters down to. Just a little fishy, if they were proud of their product they should put all the info out there so people can be sure that they are getting the proper filtering.

You have valid points I agree it's just that name brand doesn't have a good rep. Now AFE or S&B are some that I haven't heard bad about. Maybe just swap the element?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:32 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Back to our regularly scheduled program!

Joseph, are you talking about the Air-to-Air cooler? There is oil residue in the intake system of these trucks. It comes from the crankcase ventilation which is on the drivers side valve cover. There's a hose that connects to the intake between the air filter and the turbo. The oil will settle in the turbo boots that hold the piping together between the turbo, air-to-air cooler, and back to the intake spider. Finding oil in those places is common unless the CCV has been modified. Some have routed a long hose (oil resistant) from the CCV to down by the frame, and some even out by the rear axle. (should you decide to do this, be sure to plug the hole in the intake tube!) If that has been done, and all the oil in the intake system cleaned up, then you shouldn't find any oil in the system. If you do, then it must be coming from the turbo.

Quick Reply: oil in cold air intake