1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4R100 rebuild, 2600 ouch....what trans cooler to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 01:16 AM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4R100 rebuild, 2600 ouch....what trans cooler to go with?

Hey guys i dropped my truck off yesterday at a trans shop, whom I trust it is owned by a close friends dad. We were hoping it was just the torque converter, but he said with all the metal he found in the pan, that if it were his truck he would rebuild the whole thing.

W 184,000 miles i figure thats likely true.

Anyway, the 2600, which i hope is a fair price, includes an HD torque converter, and mostly borg warner components throughout as i understand.

Also includes a new external trans cooler. I asked him if i could pick up a trans cooler and drop it off as i think he was near 300 for an oem style replacement. He said that would be fine. The 6.0 cooler is more than i want to spend, i dont tow often so cant justify it. But i was leaning towards one from Oreilly, the Hayden Ultra cool part #405...it measures 10 x 15 7/8 x 3/4. It is tube and fin design which i want. Is that any improvement over factory? I even thought about buying 2 and having him hook them up in sequence unless that would be to much cooling.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Old 07-29-2015, 05:57 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
What's your location? How much do you tow? What are the specifics on your current truck?

Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 AM
CPaulsen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can buy a 6.0 cooler at Rock Auto for less than 250.00.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 AM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Currently St.louis area, moving to san antonio area.

I dont tow really, occasionally a pontoon boat for a friend. But I will be purchasing/ pulling an enclosed from stl to san antonio. Likely 26 foot or bigger w all my stuff in it.

Truck has edge evo set to factory settings, 4" turbo back exhaust, PO pulled something as it has a gooseneck in the bed.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
The info helps. In San Antonio you won't have problems with overcooling in the winter with a large cooler like what the 6.0s use. You definitely want maximum cooling if you're pulling 26' of enclosed trailer into Texas.

An aftermarket 6.0L cooler would be your best choice.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
A tube and find cooler is the worst choice you could make. They are inefficient and highly restrictive.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
a manifold type of aftermarket cooler... AND the factory cooler if still working...

NOT a tube and fin... NO Volume.. its like a garden hose.. only move so much...

Good Luck... and yes OUCH...

Old 07-29-2015, 01:57 PM
Vwags
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
a manifold type of aftermarket cooler... AND the factory cooler if still working...

NOT a tube and fin... NO Volume.. its like a garden hose.. only move so much...

Good Luck... and yes OUCH...
If you mean to add another cooler to an existing air to oil cooler resulting in 2 air to oil coolers and a radiator cooler that is not recommended due to potential loss of flow. If you mean to add an air to oil cooler to an existing radiator cooler then yes definitely.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
No, that's a terrible idea. The factory cooler must be replaced as there's a good chance it's obstructed. Virtually all rebuilds require a new transmission cooler to retain the warranty. NEVER EVER reuse the existing cooler.

Originally Posted by Vwags
If you mean to add another cooler to an existing air to oil cooler resulting in 2 air to oil coolers and a radiator cooler that is not recommended due to potential loss of flow. If you mean to add an air to oil cooler to an existing radiator cooler then yes definitely.
All of these trucks have a factory oil to air cooler. Some have an oil-to-water cooler.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:15 PM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Yes he is replacing the factory oil to air cooler, said he can flush the radiator cooler out, but due to the design of the oil to air cooler it can not be flushed. This is where tube/fin design is advantage as it can be flushed, due to the little radiator style end tanks on the factory style cooler it will hold any particles inside those ends.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:18 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
I did not know the design of the factory cooler had changed....

SORRY.

Aftermarket is best ... THEN.

do they still call the NON-tube and fin... Manifold type?

So, in the cold weather.. the engine Heat is not needed to quickly warm up the transmission fluid.

Last edited by Chuck's First Ford; 07-30-2015 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Engine Warm up.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:07 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The radiator cooler NEVER warms the trans fluid. I've tested this as cold as -40F.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:27 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by lawdawg79
Yes he is replacing the factory oil to air cooler, said he can flush the radiator cooler out, but due to the design of the oil to air cooler it can not be flushed. This is where tube/fin design is advantage as it can be flushed, due to the little radiator style end tanks on the factory style cooler it will hold any particles inside those ends.
Don't do it. This is not the time to go cheap. Most trucks with maintained and properly cooled transmissions never see transmission work. The only time you would ever need to flush the cooler is if the transmission fails or you don't maintain it.

Installing an improper cooler will make this far more likely. Do you really want to save the cost of replacing the transmission cooler in the event of a repeat failure at the expense of another rebuild?

do they still call the NON-tube and fin... Manifold type?
I've seen them most commonly referred to as "stacked plate" type.

So, in the cold weather.. the engine Heat is not needed to quickly warm up the transmission fluid.
That's a very common myth. Engine heat is virtually never used to warm up the transmission fluid. The cooler is located on the cold side of the radiator which is cooler than the transmission fluid in all but the most severe conditions.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:04 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Thank You Mr._Tom......

being retired .. out of touch with advancing technology... learned a few things this week

Old 07-30-2015, 10:35 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Tom
Engine heat is virtually never used to warm up the transmission fluid. The cooler is located on the cold side of the radiator which is cooler than the transmission fluid in all but the most severe conditions.
I'll go one step further. The cooler in the radiator is NEVER used to warm the ATF in ANY condition. I've tested it in extreme cold, extreme heat, loaded, unloaded, and never found a condition where it was even close. The ATF is ALWAYS warmer than the coolant in the cold side of the radiator.

Quick Reply: 4R100 rebuild, 2600 ouch....what trans cooler to go with?