1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mid fifties new dropped axle

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 PM
MC351
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mid fifties new dropped axle

Has anyone seen or used Mid Fifties new and improved dropped axle? I spoke to a sales person on the phone today but all she could tell me is they are using better steel. The price went up to $495. I called Nostalgia Sid after some members on this forum recommended it. I want to thank all of you becasue after reading all of AXracer's posts regarding straight axles and talking to Sid, I'm convinced a dropped straight axle is right for me. Sid patiently explained how to properly set up a dropped straight axle suspension. The unfortunate thing is Sid is behind 8 weeks due to the amount of work he has and relocating his shop.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:02 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
If they hade to put in better steel, I am kind ofta worried about all of the old ones.......

Old 07-29-2015, 03:34 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by jimcar-9
If they hade to put in better steel, I am kind ofta worried about all of the old ones.......
Why would they admit something like that? I'm sure it is a case where the sales lady doesn't have a clue, tootsie rolls will make it all better I said that for you Jimmy

Old 07-29-2015, 03:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by jimcar-9
You would have good reasons to be wary of the old ones, of many different brands. Many threads on the HAMB about Speedway and Magnum axles with cast iron ends (the dropped sections) failing catastrophically. There's a reason Sid is busy... He's not the only one stretching stock forged steel axles, tho.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:45 PM
MC351
New User
They have the old ones marked down to $300 from $415 with a disclaimer that some of the previous installed axles worked and some had issues.....yikes. No thank you.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:53 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm clueless why MF person would have said that? That's not like them.
FWIU the issues with the 3 piece drop axles in the past is that they warped and twisted when the ends were welded into the main tube, and then were not sufficiently checked or corrected so the ends were not in perfect alignment with each other, with the spring perches in the shipped axles. MF was simply the distributor, not the manufacturer of these axles, and had no way or reason to check them after arrival. The manufacturer fell down.

Sid's the man! Send him your axle right away, it's worth the wait and 8 weeks will go by quicker than you now imagine. Gary's axle is a thing of beauty, you cannot tell it was ever modified.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:56 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is what the website says about it...
THIS ONE MORE EXPENSIVE, BUT GUARANTEED!!!!
NEW AND IMPROVED!!! new axle is heaver, nicer, made from highest quality steel, AND accepts 57-60 springs as well. ALSO available POWDER COATED, SEE 2890-BLK

It doesn't say anything about BETTER steel, only that it is 'heavier' and 'nicer'.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:58 PM
MC351
New User
I called today and put myself on the waiting list. Thank you again AXracer for all the information in your posts.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:07 PM
MC351
New User
The add does say "highest quality" steel and the sales woman told me on the phone that they were using better steel, but even that is left up to interpretation of what better or highest quality steel means....

Old 07-29-2015, 04:37 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MC351
They have the old ones marked down to $300 from $415 with a disclaimer that some of the previous installed axles worked and some had issues.....yikes. No thank you.
Actually, they had been selling BOTH axles since at least 2011, even then they suggested the newer one and sold the other one as an economy axle...
From the 2011 and 2012 catalog..
"There are two Dropped axles on the market, we carry both of course, best one shown here. We suggest better one for any truck with heavy engine, all Panels, etc."

2012 was the last year that they listed the cheaper one in the catalog.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:29 PM
merctruk
New User
aftermarket front axles

Hi

does anyone know who actually makes these aftermarket axles with the machined ends and tubular centers?

I need one in a narrower width than stock 53-56.....

does anyone know the stock width of 56 f100 front axle from wheel flange to wheel flange

hanks
Sheldon

Old 07-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Brian~50F3
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sheldon, this help?

Also anyone have their old stock f1/2/3 front axle they don't need? I need a new one for my f3

Old 07-30-2015, 07:48 AM
kevin1gonzalez
New User
Originally Posted by MC351
Has anyone seen or used Mid Fifties new and improved dropped axle? I spoke to a sales person on the phone today but all she could tell me is they are using better steel. The price went up to $495. I called Nostalgia Sid after some members on this forum recommended it. I want to thank all of you becasue after reading all of AXracer's posts regarding straight axles and talking to Sid, I'm convinced a dropped straight axle is right for me. Sid patiently explained how to properly set up a dropped straight axle suspension. The unfortunate thing is Sid is behind 8 weeks due to the amount of work he has and relocating his shop.
I currently have the new drop axle from mid50 on my 54' f100 and it looks great- its the perfect drop with stock leaf springs- I can send you pics to your email- just make sure you know that you will have to heat the control arms in order to gain clearance for the steering.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:07 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
Why would they admit something like that? I'm sure it is a case where the sales lady doesn't have a clue, tootsie rolls will make it all better I said that for you Jimmy

Old 07-30-2015, 08:09 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AXracer
I'm clueless why MF person would have said that? That's not like them.
FWIU the issues with the 3 piece drop axles in the past is that they warped and twisted when the ends were welded into the main tube, and then were not sufficiently checked or corrected so the ends were not in perfect alignment with each other, with the spring perches in the shipped axles. MF was simply the distributor, not the manufacturer of these axles, and had no way or reason to check them after arrival. The manufacturer fell down.

Sid's the man! Send him your axle right away, it's worth the wait and 8 weeks will go by quicker than you now imagine. Gary's axle is a thing of beauty, you cannot tell it was ever modified.
"I'm clueless why MF person would have said that? That's not like them."

Well AXracer....... we just haveto disagree about that one.........

Quick Reply: Mid fifties new dropped axle