6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Coolant flush

Old 07-28-2015, 08:01 PM
bizzelj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant flush

Hey guys so I've been reading a lot about coolant and stuff so I wanted to change mine this weekend. A little background on the truck. My wife bought it for me while I was on deployment this time last year she said it ran great. But when I got home it was in the shop for head studs. Now that I've became more familiar with the truck I wanting to change the Napa coolant yes Napa coolant the shop put in there and fill with elc and add my coolant filter. Is it ok to just do a simple no chemical flush then fill it back up with elc?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:05 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
You will get a lot of advice. More information about your truck is needed.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:08 PM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anything is better than nothing, so from that perspective, yes.

WHen you drain it, disconnect the lower hose from the radiator, and check for any sludge.

Buy a pack of coolant filters, you'll want to change at least one after a couple days and again after a couple weeks.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:18 AM
bizzelj
Senior User
So if no sludge just drain and refil? If there is sludge what do I do?

Old 07-29-2015, 07:21 AM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Then do the full flush procedure until you get clear water out of it, change the oil cooler, and pull the radiator and have it professionally flushed.

What do your deltas look like?

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble, but it's not. Just work.

Check your oil temp vs. coolant temp before you get too worried.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:41 AM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If there is no contaminatation then just do the drain, water hose flushes and then a few distilled water flushes and refill with ELC. Do yourself a favor and get the fumoto valves for the block drains. You will only have to remove the starter once to install the valve on the passengers side. It is not a difficult job, just time consuming.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:57 AM
bizzelj
Senior User
My deltas are perfect always within 4 to 6 degrees and I just had the oil collet replaced when they did studs so I'm just trying to avoid a problem in the future with the Napa coolant

Old 07-29-2015, 08:02 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
pull the plug, rinse 4-6 times and fill with ELC...... really not as difficult as some would believe.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:31 AM
bizzelj
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
pull the plug, rinse 4-6 times and fill with ELC...... really not as difficult as some would believe.
Rinse with hose water?

Old 07-29-2015, 11:26 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bizzelj
Rinse with hose water?
Flush till clear with a garden hose and then 2 or 3 flushes with distilled water.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did mine recently. My deltas were out of control, over 20. I kinda had to hurry to get it done and didn't have time to wait for the fumoto valves. Do yourself a huge favor, get them ahead of time. It will save a ton of time and effort. I got good at taking out the starter, but that many times in and out and I broke a part off the solenoid and had to get a new one. Of course they only sell just the starter as a whole, but I was able to match up the solenoid with a new one and replace just that. Takes about 15-20 minutes total time to pull the starter and put it back in, but it adds up over 4-8 iterations.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:56 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 69cj
Flush till clear with a garden hose and then 2 or 3 flushes with distilled water.
^^^^^ right there ^^^^^

My garden hose is tap water, just don't use well water that's not filtered.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:13 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Mark_in_co
I just did mine recently. My deltas were out of control, over 20. I kinda had to hurry to get it done and didn't have time to wait for the fumoto valves. Do yourself a huge favor, get them ahead of time. It will save a ton of time and effort. I got good at taking out the starter, but that many times in and out and I broke a part off the solenoid and had to get a new one. Of course they only sell just the starter as a whole, but I was able to match up the solenoid with a new one and replace just that. Takes about 15-20 minutes total time to pull the starter and put it back in, but it adds up over 4-8 iterations.
You do realize that a coolant flush won't fix the delta's. AND that it may make them worse, especially if using a chemical flushing product.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:20 PM
bizzelj
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Pull just the one on the radiator

Old 07-29-2015, 07:15 PM
captcruz
5th Wheeling
Need Some Really Good Advice

Background, I have owned this 04 Excursion 6.0 diesel since new, it is in mint condition and looks great with 122,000 miles on it. I have since day one have had it serviced at a local shop here every 3000 miles and have always asked please check all the fluids and they say everything looks good. Present, last month before a trip trip to memphis I had it serviced, the guy in charge showed me the coolant reservoir and it was very rusty looking and the fluid was very thick. They flushed it 2-3 times and said it would be good for a while. On my my to Memphis and noticed a coolant odor, I pulled over in the rest area and the reservoir was over flowing, next morning had it flush again at a local shop and they said it will be fine. I drove from Memphis to KY and back to S. Florida and noticed it was rust color again but not THICK.. Last week brought it to a Ford dealer and they said they would not flush it because the block was corroded and that it would happen again but OFFERed to sell me a brand new long block with new radiator , water pump ect for 22K.. After a few phone calls I was advised to bring it to a local shop, 2 days ago they flushed it and said drive it for a few weeks and bring it back to be flushed again.. now to days later the coolant looks rusty … I have read where some placed do a real through job and drain the block and thermostat and flush with VC9 and it takes 3-4 to do,,, what do some of you think and why wold Ford not even attempt it.. Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant flush