1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the A/C bad on my truck, or all in general?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:39 PM
zach3713
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the A/C bad on my truck, or all in general?

I have a brand new 2015 lariat 250. I am less than pleased with the A/C situation. I feel like it NEVER cools the truck. My wifes car is at least manageable in Georgia when remote started after a few minutes. My truck has to be on for at least 20 minutes to get manageable. I feel like I ALWAYS have it on MAX air on high and I have never once gotten cold. My question is, is the A/C in these trucks weak in general? If not, what could be the problem?

I dropped it off at the dealership today, but i'm terrified they are going to call me tomorrow and say nothing is wrong with it.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
My A/C works pretty good. But I have a 2013.

You might be low on Freon or the clutch fan is not engaging like it should with the A/C on.

It does take a bit due to the size of the cab.

So does the air come out nice and cold or mildly cool?

Old 07-28-2015, 07:21 PM
NYCruiser
Senior User
Mine works pretty well and I have an XL, so no carpeting and probably less insulation. If its working correctly, you should see condensation pouring down behind the passenger side front wheel. Mine leaves a puddle everywhere I stop. If you're not getting that, it may not be working right.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:30 PM
zach3713
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix
My A/C works pretty good. But I have a 2013.

You might be low on Freon or the clutch fan is not engaging like it should with the A/C on.

It does take a bit due to the size of the cab.

So does the air come out nice and cold or mildly cool?
I'd say mildly cool at BEST. It's pathetic IMO. Me, the wife and two kids went to eat the other night. About a 25 minute drive. we NEVER got cooled down, kids were starting to sweat because the back was so hot.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:30 PM
zach3713
Freshman User
Originally Posted by NYCruiser
Mine works pretty well and I have an XL, so no carpeting and probably less insulation. If its working correctly, you should see condensation pouring down behind the passenger side front wheel. Mine leaves a puddle everywhere I stop. If you're not getting that, it may not be working right.
It does drip, I wouldn't say it leaves a big puddle though

Old 07-28-2015, 07:48 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Being a new truck. Take it in. Ours in 90 deg high humidity gets very cool in a few miles.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:37 PM
bigwtx
Senior User
I too have a 2015, but with manual climate control. I'm not happy with my A/C either. When the fan is low, I constantly hear a cycling sound... About every 30 seconds. It will get cold, then just cool, and back to cold.

Took it to the dealer three weeks ago and they replaced the A/C pressure switch. But, I haven't noticed any kind of improvement. My 2014 Chevrolet Duramax (company vehicle) cools way better in 100+ degree temps. If you do take it in to the dealer, hopefully they can actually fix it instead of what they did to me!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:40 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
A trip to the dealer is certainly needed. I think one of two things. Bad switch or low on Freon.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:42 PM
NYCruiser
Senior User
Originally Posted by zach3713
I'd say mildly cool at BEST. It's pathetic IMO. Me, the wife and two kids went to eat the other night. About a 25 minute drive. we NEVER got cooled down, kids were starting to sweat because the back was so hot.
This is definitely not right.
My truck was sitting in the sun all day today at work. It was 95 degrees out and the dash was too hot to touch.
I started the truck 15 minutes before I left work and left it running with max ac on.
It was actual cool inside when I got back in it 15 minutes later with a pool of water running out from under the truck.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:22 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zach3713
I have a brand new 2015 lariat 250. I am less than pleased with the A/C situation. I feel like it NEVER cools the truck...
Have you heard anything from your dealer this morning, zach3713? How many miles are on your truck now? I want to do what I can to help keep things cool in your rig.

Originally Posted by bigwtx
...Took it to the dealer three weeks ago and they replaced the A/C pressure switch. But, I haven't noticed any kind of improvement...
Hi bigwtx,

Did you tell your dealer that the new switch didn't impact the performance of your air conditioning? I'd recommend making an appointment so they can take another look. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal

Old 07-29-2015, 02:02 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
I have a 2015 Lariat - A/C works great. If I remote start to cool it down, that works, but then getting in, the "Auto" portion doesn't work so I have to hit Max A/C. Others have this same issue. But on Max A/C, or just a normal key startup, the A/C works great...cools quickly in 95F humidity.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:58 PM
auburngrad
Senior User
I have a '15 F250xlt, and have been pleased with my truck here in Southeast Tennessee. So I know the heat your dealing with in Ga.

I will ask what color is your truck? While I don't think yours is working like it should, I love my white truck and it makes a difference how hot the inside gets.

Take it in and have them check it out. I run mine on normal or hotter times I will just hit the recirculation button. With normal AC

Old 07-29-2015, 03:46 PM
zach3713
Freshman User
Originally Posted by auburngrad
I have a '15 F250xlt, and have been pleased with my truck here in Southeast Tennessee. So I know the heat your dealing with in Ga.

I will ask what color is your truck? While I don't think yours is working like it should, I love my white truck and it makes a difference how hot the inside gets.

Take it in and have them check it out. I run mine on normal or hotter times I will just hit the recirculation button. With normal AC
War Eagle! The truck is Blue Jeans.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:50 PM
zach3713
Freshman User
[QUOTE=FordService;15535040]Have you heard anything from your dealer this morning, zach3713? How many miles are on your truck now? I want to do what I can to help keep things cool in your rig.

I just got back from picking the truck up from the dealership. They said they did a master reset on the cooling system computer and that solved the problem.

I don't agree. I'm so aggravated right now I can't see straight. I'm contemplating going to the Chevrolet dealership and trading it in and taking a hit. I don't know what to do. Do I have an unrealistic expectation of the cooling system in a 2015 year model vehicle? If I don't have the A/C set to MAX cooling, on high fan speed...it's not cool in the truck.

I also can hold my hand to the vent and never will my hand get cold. Cool? Yes.

In the eyes of the dealership it's working as it should. In mine it's poor performance for a brand new vehicle.

Someone asked how many miles I have on it. I have 2200.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:43 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
[QUOTE=zach3713;15535754]
Originally Posted by FordService
Have you heard anything from your dealer this morning, zach3713? How many miles are on your truck now? I want to do what I can to help keep things cool in your rig.

I just got back from picking the truck up from the dealership. They said they did a master reset on the cooling system computer and that solved the problem.

I don't agree. I'm so aggravated right now I can't see straight. I'm contemplating going to the Chevrolet dealership and trading it in and taking a hit. I don't know what to do. Do I have an unrealistic expectation of the cooling system in a 2015 year model vehicle? If I don't have the A/C set to MAX cooling, on high fan speed...it's not cool in the truck.

I also can hold my hand to the vent and never will my hand get cold. Cool? Yes.

In the eyes of the dealership it's working as it should. In mine it's poor performance for a brand new vehicle.

Someone asked how many miles I have on it. I have 2200.
Test drive a similar truck from the dealer and see if that a/c is any different from yours.

Quick Reply: Is the A/C bad on my truck, or all in general?