1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Sway Bar Walks Off of Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:22 PM
98Econoline150
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sway Bar Walks Off of Bushing

As the title says the sway bar on my '98 E-150 is walking off the bushing in the I-beam. this only happens on the right side. The right bushing is new as the last time the sway bar walked out it chewed up the bushing from rubbing it while flopping around. The suspension is practically new. All four ball joints are new, the steering linakges are good, the radius arm mount bushings are new, sway bar to frame bushings are new, shocks are good, springs are good, wheels and tires are new and are rotated every other oil change as per Ford interval. The only thing I haven't mentioned is the I-beam pivot bushing, could this cause a sloppiness that would allow this?

Old 07-28-2015, 07:05 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Not sure what your terminology really means but if the axle pivot bushings are worn that could indeed affect other parts of the suspension.

I eliminated the stock front sway bar in favor of a Hellwig part which is a better arrangement than the OEM attachment scheme. I've also replaced radius arm and axle pivot bushings with Energy Suspension urethane parts.

If you'll be keeping your stock front bar after resolving your current issue look into replacing the soft OEM bushings with urethane parts----huge improvment over stock, much longer lasting.

HTH

Old 07-28-2015, 10:51 AM
98Econoline150
Senior User
What is it that you would like cleared up? I will take a picture of the left side and the right side to show what I mean.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:27 PM
98Econoline150
Senior User

Left side.

Right side.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:50 PM
richter roxs
Senior User
on the sway bar frame mount bushing bracket the bolt holes are slots , may be you need to loosen the bracket and slide the mount in the direction of the i beams

Last edited by richter roxs; 07-28-2015 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spell
Old 07-28-2015, 08:00 PM
98Econoline150
Senior User
I beg to differ. On mine they are not adjustable.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:21 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those bushings look original. I just removed the originals on mine, its a real pain but you can do it if you did ball joints.

This is the upgrade part:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...id=508&jpid=20

What I think richter is trying to say is that the U shaped metal brackets that go around the frame mounted bushings have slotted holes, so you could loosen all for bolts and push the sway bar towards the engine as you re tighten them.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 PM
98Econoline150
Senior User
Originally Posted by 98Econoline150
The right bushing is new as the last time the sway bar walked out it chewed up the bushing from rubbing it while flopping around.
The bushings were replaced 4 years ago with MOOG parts, the right bushing is also a different MOOG part. They are still relatively new parts.

The bushing in the link is the part that is installed on the right I-beam.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:44 AM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
by your pics, it looks like your swap bar end is not as far into the bushing on the R side as on the left.

try and loosen the frame bolts on the right side and push the sway bar back farther. if you can't move the frame bracket, you are out of luck. bushigns in the frame brackets can wear to and allow some fore/aft movement also.

I have an 2003 E350 with a LOT of miles on it, my sway bar doesn't fit perfectly tight in the I beam bushings but have never had one come out or even make noise, my frame bushings are even worn enough to allow some fore/aft movement.

your I beam pivot bushings could allow enough movement to make the bar come out if they were completely beat out but your radius arm bushings would have to be worn out too.

get it up on some stands and check it over, or take it to a spring/suspension shop and open up your wallet.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:39 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
The I-Beam bushings are of different manufacture, installing a new pair from the same manufacturer would allow the sway bar to fit both sides equally. I prefer Energy Suspension parts for this.

Energy Suspension also makes replacement bushings for the frame-mounted U brackets--these would also make a more consistent mounting and fit of the sway bar to the frame and I-Beams.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:12 AM
98Econoline150
Senior User
Originally Posted by 68Mercury250Ranger
by your pics, it looks like your swap bar end is not as far into the bushing on the R side as on the left.

Yes, I know, that's what I am trying to diagnose

try and loosen the frame bolts on the right side and push the sway bar back farther. if you can't move the frame bracket, you are out of luck. bushigns in the frame brackets can wear to and allow some fore/aft movement also.

I will check this out. I am a little apprehensive about undoing the sway bar as it is a b***h to reinstall. The frame bushings are fairly new, and don't show any wear, as far as I can see.

I have an 2003 E350 with a LOT of miles on it, my sway bar doesn't fit perfectly tight in the I beam bushings but have never had one come out or even make noise, my frame bushings are even worn enough to allow some fore/aft movement.

It's been about a year since it happened. The sway bar completely came out of the I beam and if was clanging on the radius arm.

your I beam pivot bushings could allow enough movement to make the bar come out if they were completely beat out but your radius arm bushings would have to be worn out too.

get it up on some stands and check it over, or take it to a spring/suspension shop and open up your wallet.
I am a Ford Factory trained tech so I don't want to do something at a shop if I don't have to. I took it to a highly recommended shop, they did the ball joints, since I don't yet have a press, and I ended up doing Wheel bearings a week later.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:18 AM
98Econoline150
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
The I-Beam bushings are of different manufacture, installing a new pair from the same manufacturer would allow the sway bar to fit both sides equally. I prefer Energy Suspension parts for this.

They are both moog, but the left is a rubber part, the right is a urethane part. My special tool broke after one bushing so I was unable to do the left side.

Energy Suspension also makes replacement bushings for the frame-mounted U brackets--these would also make a more consistent mounting and fit of the sway bar to the frame and I-Beams.
I agree that the bushings should be from the same make, and model as well.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:20 AM
econolinemanor
Senior User
I'm looking at the pic of the right side and the jack point "pin" is bent downward and the I Beam looks twisted on the top...........

Old 07-29-2015, 12:08 PM
98Econoline150
Senior User
I see what you mean about the pin. I am having a thought time seeing the bend in the I-beam. Do you think it was improperly raised?

Old 07-29-2015, 12:09 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Not sure why you'd think that getting the sway bar brackets bolted back again is a problem. I've had mine off a couple times. All you need is a jack to hold the bar up in place to the frame to get the bolts started. And don't over tighten the bolts, the threads in the frame don't hold up well to that. Mine stripped out and I went to a 1/2" bolt with a locking type washered nut inside the frame to fix it. That's really something Ford should have done here to start with. The axle bushings can be pressed in with nothing but a big bolt to fit the bushing and flat washers and a nut to provide clamping force to get the bushings in place..

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Walks Off of Bushing