Sponsored by:

pre-trip must do's

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 03:18 PM
psycoreefer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pre-trip must do's

So I've had the ex for a few months now - no major problems. Its got 273,000 on it and we're preparing for a cross contry journey. We'll be headed east from Nevada, up throught the bad-lands area, and then to Michigan and back again. Grand total should be around 6,000 miles +/- a bit.

I've done the 'regular' stuff:
Fuel filter
Oil
Oil Filter
Tires checked (including spare)
Air Filter
Grease steering parts
Checked the batteries
Had the A/C serviced
Edit - also tore down, lubed and inspected brakes

Being my first ex and my first diesel I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be checking/servicing before I go?

Last edited by psycoreefer; 07-27-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: add brakes
Old 07-27-2015, 04:41 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Some other ideas:
Flush brake fluid,
Flush power steering fluid
Flush transmission fluid
Check steering damper
Replace f/r differential fluids
Replace transfer case fluid
Flush radiator, check all hoses (bring spares)
Check unit bearings
Check ball joints
Check all 4 steering tie rods
Check serpentine belt (bring spare)
Bring a well stocked tool kit.
Carry 5 gals of water.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:07 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Payoff credit card

Old 07-27-2015, 07:26 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Payoff credit card
If he's got the diesel, might wanna get a limit increase too

Old 07-27-2015, 08:08 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Grease the freaking unit bearings. Get the adapter from RiffRaff, about $20.

Second cross country trip, second wheel bearing failure for me. Bleh.

Carry a spare fuel filter even though you replaced it already. Cheap insurance should it go bad. Also a known good spare CPS.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:15 PM
El_Coqui
Senior User
To go along with Matt....make sure you have a 10 mm socket with an extension to be able to change the cps out should it cause you problems....a lot of guys on here now carry that one specifically....it's in my door pocket after having to have Razzi bail me out on the side of the road a few months back

Old 07-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I do not have anything to really add to the list above of things to get done but make sure in your tool kit you have the allen key size to drain the water separator that is along the frame rail under the driver side door. I can not remember the exact size off the top of my head but having a whole key set is a good idea.

When are you making this trip? We may end up crossing each other on the road.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 AM
psycoreefer
Junior User
<strike>Flush brake fluid
Flush power steering fluid</strike>
Flush transmission fluid
<strike>Check steering damper</Strike>
Replace f/r differential fluids
Replace transfer case fluid
<strike>Flush radiator, check all hoses</Strike> (bring spares)
<strike>Check unit bearings
Check ball joints
Check all 4 steering tie rods
Check serpentine belt (bring spare)
Bring a well stocked tool kit.</strike>
Carry 5 gals of water.
<strike>CPS
payoff credit card</strike>
Grease Unit bearings

So I actually did a lot of the recommended things I'd just forgotten when I made my list. I never travel without tools, but I haven't built my 'trip bag' yet so I left that one on the list.

TwitchyLeprechaun - we are leaving here later this week and spending 1 week in the custer state park area of SD, then continuing on to michigan. Where are you headed?

Old 07-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
For the spare radiator hoses, snag one for a dual alternator setup. The upper house is routed behind the belt instead of the stock one that goes through it, making belt changes in the future far easier and less messy.

For the differential fluid, make sure you verify if you have the limited slip or not. If you do, you'll need some friction modifier in addition to gear oil.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by psycoreefer

TwitchyLeprechaun - we are leaving here later this week and spending 1 week in the custer state park area of SD, then continuing on to michigan. Where are you headed?
Sturgis. The Full Throttle Saloon will be my home for the 2 weeks.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:49 PM
psycoreefer
Junior User
Our group is planning to spend a day or two in sturgis as well. That is the primary reason for our timing and destinations. I've never been, my Dad has gone several times (including the 50th anniversary) and wanted to go this year again for the 75th anniversary. Not sure what to expect, but looking forward to it!

What do you ride?

Old 07-28-2015, 02:53 PM
00X7.3PSD
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Under Valve Cover Harness (UVCH) can kill a 7.3 without warning. Check to see if previous owner fixed it. If not, get it done ASAP. You can get the clips at Ford or the updated wiring harness.

Don't rely on battery light to come on when alternator dies. Mine died when waiting at a stop light, blocking traffic. This was my worst fear on long trips. I paid the price for procrastination.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:47 PM
mb_01sc
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 00X7.3PSD
Under Valve Cover Harness (UVCH) can kill a 7.3 without warning.....
I'll second this one, I've done both under valve cover harnesses recently (Summer 2013-passenger side, February 2015-drivers side). The first one left me stranded in the driveway, but the second one left me stranded on the highway.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:56 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Alternator dying won't kill a 7.3, it doesn't need the batteries to keep running. The rest of the dashboard will light up like a Christmas tree up until the batteries are totally flat, but the truck keeps running. My alternator died in the middle of nowhere in Nevada last year while moving back to Texas, truck made it another 13 miles with no issues. Batteries were toast, but it got me somewhere safe and with a population higher than 9 people.

The UVCH is a great suggestion, mine almost screwed me but luckily it didn't fully unseat. I went with the 50¢ mod over the clips, primarily because the PO had done the clips and one still worked its way out. Now I just run a bead of super glue around the connector in addition to the quarter trick.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:58 PM
00X7.3PSD
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Alternator dying won't kill a 7.3, it doesn't need the batteries to keep running. The rest of the dashboard will light up like a Christmas tree up until the batteries are totally flat, but the truck keeps running. My alternator died in the middle of nowhere in Nevada last year while moving back to Texas, truck made it another 13 miles with no issues. Batteries were toast, but it got me somewhere safe and with a population higher than 9 people.

The UVCH is a great suggestion, mine almost screwed me but luckily it didn't fully unseat. I went with the 50¢ mod over the clips, primarily because the PO had done the clips and one still worked its way out. Now I just run a bead of super glue around the connector in addition to the quarter trick.
When alternator dies, the engine relies on battery reserve power. In my case, the battery light did not light up. I didn't know alternator died. Therefore, my truck was running on reserve power. Front and rear A/C was on full blast, then engine gave a few hiccups and died while waiting at the intersection.

Moral of the story, replace or upgrade your alternator. Local driving is no big deal. But when you are far away from home or in the middle of nowhere, it is an inconvenience and expensive.

Op, when was water pump changed? If it has original pump, then it's time to get a new one. Especially when you have a 6000 mile trip planned.

Quick Reply: pre-trip must do's