Intermittent cruise control problem on 2008 F-250 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Intermittent cruise control problem on 2008 F-250

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Junior User

Tawn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Intermittent cruise control problem on 2008 F-250

I have a 2008 F-250 Lariat with 105K on it.

I use the cruise control daily and yesterday it developed an intermittent problem.

When you first take off in the morning or after it has been sitting for an extend period of time it works normally. But after driving for awhile (~5-7 miles) it stops working altogether if you turn it off and try to turn it back on or try to re-engage it.

The first time it did it, the climate controls on the steering wheel also stopped working but since then they have been normal. Now it is only the cruise control that is intermittent. The stereo controls on the steering wheel are unaffected and have been functioning normally.

I don't think it is the switch / thumb control on the steering wheel is the problem because it will work for a short period of time after the truck has sat for awhile.

Simply shutting the truck off and restarting it doesn't clear the problem - it has to sit for awhile.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks.
Two types of Ships: Submarines & Targets
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM
New User

dhoff024 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
I have a 2008 F-250 Lariat with 105K on it.

I use the cruise control daily and yesterday it developed an intermittent problem.

When you first take off in the morning or after it has been sitting for an extend period of time it works normally. But after driving for awhile (~5-7 miles) it stops working altogether if you turn it off and try to turn it back on or try to re-engage it.

The first time it did it, the climate controls on the steering wheel also stopped working but since then they have been normal. Now it is only the cruise control that is intermittent. The stereo controls on the steering wheel are unaffected and have been functioning normally.

I don't think it is the switch / thumb control on the steering wheel is the problem because it will work for a short period of time after the truck has sat for awhile.

Simply shutting the truck off and restarting it doesn't clear the problem - it has to sit for awhile.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks.

I had basically the same issue you need a new cruise control cutoff switch. It screws into the bottom of the master cylinder it is the sensor farthest from the firewall. There is an opening in the drivers side front wheel well that you can gain access to the sensor. It takes a 7/8 socket or wrench. If you try to take off from the top just turn the sensor in reverse ( tighten from the top is actually loosening the sensor). Be careful with it though when I took mine out to replace it the threads from the master cylinder came out with the sensor and I not only had to replace the sensor but the master cylinder to. It was a pain I had to do that but it is all back together and my cruise works again without issue. Ford part # SW-6349
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM