6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Our first trip! New RV

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:06 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our first trip! New RV

We took our new Vibe 308 out and had a blast this weekend!!! Here are a few pictures. We went to Kingsville, Tx and stayed at a new RV Park that was really really nice! AC had a real problem keeping up with the 104 degrees temp but when the sun went down, it would freeze us out. Tint and window blocks are our next mod.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:15 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Looks like a great time.

We have found 2 A/C's is almost a must with anything over 20' and up around 100F.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like a great time. Go to Home Depot or Lowes, in the insulation isle there are rolls of a foil bubble wrap like material. Pick up a roll and cut the proper side to insert into the windows of the RV. Insulates the window as well as reflects the heat of the sun. You will be surprised what a temp difference it will make.

Of course there is also the option of a second A/C unit. They slip very well into the 14x14 inch vent in the bedroom. Then run a cord to a basement storage area that you can plug in to the pedestal 20amp service receptacle.

Or parking under a tree also helps....LOL Not always an option in Texas

Old 07-26-2015, 10:32 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Originally Posted by jonrjen
Looks like a great time. Go to Home Depot or Lowes, in the insulation isle there are rolls of a foil bubble wrap like material. Pick up a roll and cut the proper side to insert into the windows of the RV. Insulates the window as well as reflects the heat of the sun. You will be surprised what a temp difference it will make.

Of course there is also the option of a second A/C unit. They slip very well into the 14x14 inch vent in the bedroom. Then run a cord to a basement storage area that you can plug in to the pedestal 20amp service receptacle.

Or parking under a tree also helps....LOL Not always an option in Texas
Yep, Reflectix is what it is called. Its about 45 bucks here for a 4ftx24ft roll I believe. It works great. Cut it to fit inside the window frame and cut it just slightly larger and tuck it. I will stay in going down the road. It will also proctect your investments, curtains, shades and anything else the sun may ruin when sitting in storage. If you have skylights, as we have 2 kitchen and shower, we cut a piece and attached it with white velcro on each corner and WOW that helped a bunch. This week end, we were in Round Rock, TX we have 2-15k BTU air conditioners, if it was not for the Reflextix in the windows, it would have still stayed pretty warm inside, even with 2 airs. Temps around 100 and heat indexes of over 105, no shade, it was scorching all the RV,s around.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:44 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Like others have said, it looks like a great time. I agree with Scott that a 2nd AC unit would do wonders, but also agree on the Reflectix. If you can't find it, WalMart carries rolls of regular bubble wrap. The smaller bubbles work better than the larger ones, but mist the window with water and stick it to it. You'd be amazed at how much of a difference it makes. We use it all winter here to insulate the windows on our 5er. The reason we don't buy it at Home Depot is that is they only sell it in a green color. WM sells it in clear which looks much better.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:51 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Justin, that's a great way to break in the new RV. Looks like you guys had fun. I too had an issue with Texas heat. One of my problems was the factory unit was a 13,500 btu. I bought and installed a 15,000 btu unit in its place. I wanted to reinstall the 13,500 in my bedroom, but between the kit to convert from ducted to ductless, and the wiring and installation (I would have to hire help), I couldn't swing it. I did install the solar shields as others have mentioned. Between the new unit and the shields in the windows, I can stay reasonably comfortable when the outside temps are high.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:07 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice, it's a fun thing to do.

Another opinion? I like to set my camper so that the AC condensation comes off the roof on the right rear of the camper, then I use a 5 gal bucket to collect it. I always have water for the dog, my hands, etc...just one of my little quirks.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:07 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,061 Likes on 2,214 Posts
Glad you had a nice first outing!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:22 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking really good there!!!!
Good luck with the AC!!!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:20 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Justin, that's a great way to break in the new RV. Looks like you guys had fun. I too had an issue with Texas heat. One of my problems was the factory unit was a 13,500 btu. I bought and installed a 15,000 btu unit in its place. I wanted to reinstall the 13,500 in my bedroom, but between the kit to convert from ducted to ductless, and the wiring and installation (I would have to hire help), I couldn't swing it. I did install the solar shields as others have mentioned. Between the new unit and the shields in the windows, I can stay reasonably comfortable when the outside temps are high.
Yeah, ours is a 15k unit but with the 114 head index this weekend, it was working overtime.

Do you happen to still have the 12,500 unit? Willing to part with it?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:44 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
The 13.5k is in Oklahoma with my parents and brother. I don't know what - if anything - they have done with it. They had talked about putting it to use on a FEMA trailer that they used to have, but sold last year. If you are still interested, I can check, but shipping would probably make it unpractical price wise.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:08 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The 13.5k is in Oklahoma with my parents and brother. I don't know what - if anything - they have done with it. They had talked about putting it to use on a FEMA trailer that they used to have, but sold last year. If you are still interested, I can check, but shipping would probably make it unpractical price wise.
I can't help immediately, but I am going thru OKC coming back from vacation the week of 8/21 (coming from Springfield Mo. visit my son in OKC, then back towards Austin on 8/23)

Old 07-27-2015, 10:45 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
They are in Hugo - just north of Paris.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:57 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
They are in Hugo - just north of Paris.
Ok.. that would be about 2.5-3 hrs extra travel time. and road between hugo and sulphur springs. tx would be my only concern.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 AM
chadjones99
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I 2nd the silver bubble wrap at Lowes and or Home depot, pretty cheap too.

Quick Reply: Our first trip! New RV