6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

ELC and a garden hose

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:28 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
ELC and a garden hose

Now that some have been running ELC coolant for a while now,How has the truck been running?Any issues from running the ELC?I'm thinking about switching from the gold,But nervous about doing it.

Secondly,Obviously Im doing a coolant flush and in the past just used distilled water.This time I was thinking about using the hose for a bit and then distilled.

Is the general consensus still that it's ok to flush with a garden hose?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-25-2015, 11:21 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's how I do it, I use the hose for 3 to4 flushes, 2 flushes with distilled, would be a great time to add the EZ -108 block drain plugs if you don't have them in already, been happy so far with the Rotella ELC after the fill there will be a bubble so make sure in a day or so add to min line and what is left in the block water/distilled wise will mix making a good top off.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:22 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Just don't use well water.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:21 AM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks,I just asked because in my search I saw a few comments how important it is to get all the gold out before the ELC cause it can cause some headaches if the ELC mixes with the gold.I was worried that.I hear ya on the well,Im on well water so Ill be going somewhere else to do the flush.

Anything else I should know about while making the switch to ELC?

Ah and one more thing,Ive got a coolant filter with shut off valves, You guys just flush with the filter on and put the new one on after the flush?

Old 07-26-2015, 09:46 AM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
I flushed mine with filter valves open. I removed the filter and rinsed it out between each flush and installed a new filter when new coolant was added.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:49 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
the most Important thing is getting it up to temp , so the Thermostat opens some take it out to eliminate longer heat up time, Ether way there will be air bubbles to be removed, make sure the heater is on to flush everything properly. on the filter leave the old one on until final flush , I guess you could rinse on a few flushes I should have done it to mine, when I opened mine up it had all sorts of sludge and silt in it. Oh and don't for get to Drain the Block most important

Old 07-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could actually just remove the grey vacuum line off the heater control valve and put it on the nipple that is on the hvac box thus opening the valve and allowing the ac to run and keeps the flow through the heater core. I also flush with the thermostat installed,, because the few times I've tried it without the tstat installed,, I could only get to the 160* temp range. I like to see 190's while flushing.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:26 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 04badford
the most Important thing is getting it up to temp , so the Thermostat opens some take it out to eliminate longer heat up time, Ether way there will be air bubbles to be removed, make sure the heater is on to flush everything properly. on the filter leave the old one on until final flush , I guess you could rinse on a few flushes I should have done it to mine, when I opened mine up it had all sorts of sludge and silt in it. Oh and don't for get to Drain the Block most important
Thanks everyone I do take the thermostat out when I flush and the drivers side block plug too.Im gonna try the the hose this flush because It seems my deltas are moving alittle farther apart than usual and I want to see if I can get anything out.It has been in the hi 80's low 90's here lately so I think that may be playing a factor.Weird thing is I was pulling my trailer today and my oil temp was the same pulling as it is unloaded doing 65.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Cranemech
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone have a link to the valves to be installed on the block to allow easier draining? I've searched, but haven't had any luck. TIA

Old 07-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nico963
Thanks everyone I do take the thermostat out when I flush and the drivers side block plug too.Im gonna try the the hose this flush because It seems my deltas are moving alittle farther apart than usual and I want to see if I can get anything out.It has been in the hi 80's low 90's here lately so I think that may be playing a factor.Weird thing is I was pulling my trailer today and my oil temp was the same pulling as it is unloaded doing 65.
While my temps gp up when pulling the spread between eot and ect is closer when pulling than during "testing". Weird.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Fumoto valves
F-108N for coolant plugs
F-111 for oil (no nipple)

One source but not a great price:
Amazon.com: Fumoto F-108N Engine Oil Drain Valve: Automotive Amazon.com: Fumoto F-108N Engine Oil Drain Valve: Automotive

Old 07-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Cranemech
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Fumoto valves
F-108N for coolant plugs

Amazon.com: Fumoto F-108N Engine Oil Drain Valve: Automotive

Thank you for the info.
Just got this Excursion and have been reading up on all the maintenance items that I need to address.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:15 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Cranemech
Anyone have a link to the valves to be installed on the block to allow easier draining? I've searched, but haven't had any luck. TIA
Riff raff diesel products, ez 108 drain plugs the package will say oil drain , don't know why but there for the block, rusty axle posted the correct numbers.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:02 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Fumoto valves
F-108N for coolant plugs

Amazon.com: Fumoto F-108N Engine Oil Drain Valve: Automotive
I could be wrong but I believe there is an updated one with an S on the suffix. It would be shorter and an ideal substitute on the passenger side block drain plug. I can "flip" the lever on the passenger side but it isn't easy. I left mine installed the last time. I plan to order and install the shorter version next time. Rusty is the man, follow his advice.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:06 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke
I could be wrong but I believe there is an updated one with an S on the suffix. It would be shorter and an ideal substitute on the passenger side block drain plug. I can "flip" the lever on the passenger side but it isn't easy. I left mine installed the last time. I plan to order and install the shorter version next time. Rusty is the man, follow his advice.
Good info on the "S" part number. I bought the "N" ones and they worked ok. I put the first one in the passenger side and the way it tightened up the lever was on the bottom and would have been against the starter so I swapped it for the second one and the lever ended up on top where I could reach it with the starter on.

Quick Reply: ELC and a garden hose