1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Insulating the engine cover in an 86 E350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:35 PM
sparr0
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insulating the engine cover in an 86 E350?

There's a thin layer of plastic and metal between the engine compartment and my leg (and stuff sitting in the cupholders, and...). It gets hot, a phenomenon I'm sure many of you are familiar with. I'd like it to be less hot. Is insulating it an option? I could add carpet to the outside of it, or foam to the inside of it, or something else?

Old 07-25-2015, 07:54 PM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Amazon.com: Thermo-Tec 13575 12" X 24" Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier: Automotive Amazon.com: Thermo-Tec 13575 12" X 24" Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier: Automotive

There are a few items like this so you'll need to find the correct size. Have you checked if your original insulation is still there? I have a '92 with the 460 and no heat issues but the insulation is in decent shape. Also make sure the cover is sealing good. I have a bad latch on one side and if not tight it puts out alot of dang heat from that small crack.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:02 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Read through this post on something similar to what your looking for -

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...the-noise.html

Old 07-26-2015, 02:35 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What do you guys think of this?

Prodex Total 4 ft x 50 ft Insulation

Enough to do a few complete vans or a van and a garage door. For me it's about 140 bucks incl. shipping.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:59 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by vettex2
What do you guys think of this?

Prodex Total 4 ft x 50 ft Insulation

Enough to do a few complete vans or a van and a garage door. For me it's about 140 bucks incl. shipping.
It looks very similar to the Reflectix that I am using on the interior of my van. Not 100% sure on the thickness of it though, I am thinking the Reflectix is a little thinner so it may be easier to conform to surfaces etc.

I wouldn't use it for the application the OP was asking about though since it is not rated for heat of the inside of the doghouse. I used this from Summit for the inside of the doghouse. I removed the stock insulation, adhered this to the inside of the doghouse and then reinstalled the stock insulation. It is rated for 550*f.

I am also in the process of using Refletix and unfaced insulation to insulate the van cab. So far I have all the doors done as well as pulling apart the dash to fill any crevices I can. Doing the front doors and dash really seemed to reduce the volume of the engine noise. If I was a little smarter I would have taken noise reading before and after.....but I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed.

I used this insulation instead of fiberglass. It is a new product at Menards made of recycled denim and is supposed to be rated the better than fiberglass for sound deading. I also didn't like the possibility of fiberglass dust floating around, no mater how minimal. I have my doors set up so I can easily pull the panels and check for moisture, since it is my biggest concern with using it. I have been taking some pics and will make a thead about the project when I am finished.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:19 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
The problems with trying to insulate or reduce sound as it relates to the doghouse or engine covers is maintaining the attachment under the heat of the engine bay.

While there might be something readily available to us DIY's I've not yet encountered a high-temp adhesive suitable for the materials or fabrics suggested here.

Most insulation I've seen underhood was semi-rigid and attached via automotive-style clips or fasteners.

If anyone has a specific adhesive product please post its name and product number---I'd be highly interested see what others have found.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:29 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by JWA
The problems with trying to insulate or reduce sound as it relates to the doghouse or engine covers is maintaining the attachment under the heat of the engine bay.

While there might be something readily available to us DIY's I've not yet encountered a high-temp adhesive suitable for the materials or fabrics suggested here.

Most insulation I've seen underhood was semi-rigid and attached via automotive-style clips or fasteners.

If anyone has a specific adhesive product please post its name and product number---I'd be highly interested see what others have found.
I see how that could be an issue. The product I used, as well as the other heat barrier listed, is self adhesive. Not sure how well it will continue to stick after hundreds of heat cycles. Some kind of mechanical fasteners would be a good idea. My stock insulation is mechanically fastened and that is why I sandwiched my self adhesive kind between it and the doghouse.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:45 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jayro88
I see how that could be an issue. The product I used, as well as the other heat barrier listed, is self adhesive. Not sure how well it will continue to stick after hundreds of heat cycles. Some kind of mechanical fasteners would be a good idea. My stock insulation is mechanically fastened and that is why I sandwiched my self adhesive kind between it and the doghouse.
Ahh well if you're able to trap or capture extra insulation between the OEM stuff that'd be great.

Not sure what fasteners Ford used but there might be some available of extra length and exact replacements that'd accommodate the extra thickness. I like this site: ClipsAndFasteners.com - Automotive Retainers,Clips and Fasteners for such things.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your local automotive paint store usually carries all types of fasteners

Old 07-26-2015, 12:34 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Spaznaut
Your local automotive paint store usually carries all types of fasteners
Yes perhaps they do but shopping online is vastly easier---saves driving all over hell's creation to find one or two small parts that may or may not be in stock.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:23 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jayro88
It looks very similar to the Reflectix that I am using on the interior of my van. Not 100% sure on the thickness of it though, I am thinking the Reflectix is a little thinner so it may be easier to conform to surfaces etc.

I wouldn't use it for the application the OP was asking about though since it is not rated for heat of the inside of the doghouse. I used this from Summit for the inside of the doghouse. I removed the stock insulation, adhered this to the inside of the doghouse and then reinstalled the stock insulation. It is rated for 550*f.

I am also in the process of using Refletix and unfaced insulation to insulate the van cab. So far I have all the doors done as well as pulling apart the dash to fill any crevices I can. Doing the front doors and dash really seemed to reduce the volume of the engine noise. If I was a little smarter I would have taken noise reading before and after.....but I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed.

I used this insulation instead of fiberglass. It is a new product at Menards made of recycled denim and is supposed to be rated the better than fiberglass for sound deading. I also didn't like the possibility of fiberglass dust floating around, no mater how minimal. I have my doors set up so I can easily pull the panels and check for moisture, since it is my biggest concern with using it. I have been taking some pics and will make a thead about the project when I am finished.
I wasn't thinking about under the doghouse.....just for the rest of the van. 13/64ths is fairly thin so I think it's easy enough to work with....
What do they cost?

Old 07-26-2015, 04:34 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JWA
Ahh well if you're able to trap or capture extra insulation between the OEM stuff that'd be great.

Not sure what fasteners Ford used but there might be some available of extra length and exact replacements that'd accommodate the extra thickness. I like this site: ClipsAndFasteners.com - Automotive Retainers,Clips and Fasteners for such things.
Awesome site!!

Old 07-26-2015, 06:39 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by vettex2
I wasn't thinking about under the doghouse.....just for the rest of the van. 13/64ths is fairly thin so I think it's easy enough to work with....
What do they cost?
Which do you mean? The I got both at Menards. This is the Reflectix I got. $41 for a 4x25 roll. Also available in 4x100 rolls for $163
http://www.menards.com/main/building...971-c-5778.htm

The denim insulation is $60 for a 78sq ft pack.
http://www.menards.com/main/building...680-c-5780.htm

The 25' roll of Reflectix did the inside and skins of all of my doors (6 of them) with some left over. I would guess 2 more 25' rolls will finish the remaining cavities and the roof. I should have enough of the denim to finish the project.

From my experience the one 4x50 roll you listed may not be enough for the van depending on layers etc.